Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette 
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette
I was upset with the way this film ended; I figured if Sofia Coppola was going to make a film about Marie Antoinette's life, why not continue until the end? Instead, she chose to abruptly end the film as they're leaving Versailles, four years before the family's imprisonment. Not to mention, the dates are bit off; the film begins in 1786 when Madame Antoine leaves Austria to marry the Dauphin; she didn't leave Austria until April of 1770.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:45 am
Yes and when Louis XVI asks Marie Antoinette if she is admiring the view on their way to the Tuilleries in the last seen she replies that she is saying good bye to Versaille. This was actually said by Madame Elizabeth. I love the colours and the music in this film but the lack of accuracy is quite annoying. In an interview Coppola did say that this was not meant to be an exact depiction of life at Versailles but more idealized and capturing the emotions of the young royals.

I don't think characters were introduced as clearly as they should have been too.

Yolande de Polignac was also considerably older than the Polignac they portray in the film. She already had children by the time she became the queen's favourite. I think they should have gone more into depth with the politics of the Polignac family it is really quite interesting.

I don't remember the affair of the diamond neclaise being mentioned at all either :(

Actually the list could go on with a number of differences between sources and what the film portrays of characters. I do think Jason Schwartzman did a good job of acting out Louis XVI though :D

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:25 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Re: comment about the film ending with MA leaving Versailles...

Actually, I didn't necessarily think it was a bad thing to end with MA's departure, as opposed to her execution. It seems that most films end with her execution. Everyone already knows that she's going to be executed, so you don't necesarily have to show it again.

On the other hand, her death and her suffering before it are what give her life such tragic impact, so omitting this lessens the dramatic import of the piece.

Re: the portraits of MA in this movie...
I think the artist(s) had trouble reconciling modern realistic portraits of Dunst with the grand nature of MA's portraits. In the beginning of "The Lady and the Duke," the portraits seem more successful in reconciling the images of Grace Elliott and that of the actress playing her.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:40 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that she ended it like that because it kinda left room for the imagination and speculation of her end, even thought everyone already knows.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i watched an interview she did once and she said she ended it like that because she knew that the film would have to keep going to fill in four years. she said it would be to long

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 am
Noble
Noble

victoire wrote:

On the other hand, her death and her suffering before it are what give her life such tragic impact, so omitting this lessens the dramatic import of the piece.

My thoughts exactly. She could've just ended it with an explanation as to what happenend in words---that's how alot of films end anymore.

Princess de Lamballe wrote:

I don't remember the affair of the diamond neclaise being mentioned at all either

No I don't think it was mentioned at all...or even refered to in any part of the film, which is another disappointment since the affair of the Diamond Necklace is what set off the people's hatred for Marie Antoinette in the first place.

I absolutely loved Jason Shwartzman as Louis XVI. He did an excellent job portrying the character, and in making himself look similar to the actual Louis. Same goes for Kirsten as MA...not to mention she has a similar ethnic background to MA...at least somewhat. Kirsten is Swedish and German. MA was German and Orleans French.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes i was disapointed by the fact that they didnt even mention the necklace affair.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:36 pm
Noble
Noble

I really loved Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, I think it's great for what it is, of course I never expected it to be like a documentary. S.C. was respectful and I think tried to stay pretty accurate, other than the end( Madame Elisabeth being the one who actually was asked "Are you admiring your lime avenue?"....) not sure why she did it that way.
I had seen an interview of hers where she said she wanted to capture more of her teen years, and kind of relate it to her own(something to that effect forgive me if it's not exactly what she said). Maybe her intentions were to make the movie in a way that would get people interested in finding out the truth for themselves.
It's one of those movies that you have to see more than once(or I did anyway) to catch all the little details. One of my favorite parts is the montage where M.A. is trying on all the new clothes and shoes and there is a pair of pastel blue Chucks(Converses) sitting there on the floor. I didn't catch that the first time. There's quite a pastel theme clothes, shoes, even food, made for pretty scenes. The soundtrack is great too Dustin O'Halloran is a great contemporary composer his music captured the mood for me.(lots of other great music too) :biggrin:
I thought all of the actors did really well ,Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman especially. Have to mention Noailles b/c she was just about as uptight and intimidating as I imagined her to be, a bit disappointed that a lot of the key people in her life weren't filled out much, if at all .As far as the costumes go I don't know if the were exactly correct but they were absolutely gorgeous!!! Overall still have to say it's one of my favorites...

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:47 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Pennilayn wrote:
I really loved Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, I think it's great for what it is, of course I never expected it to be like a documentary. S.C. was respectful and I think tried to stay pretty accurate, other than the end( Madame Elisabeth being the one who actually was asked "Are you admiring your lime avenue?"....) not sure why she did it that way.
I had seen an interview of hers where she said she wanted to capture more of her teen years, and kind of relate it to her own(something to that effect forgive me if it's not exactly what she said). Maybe her intentions were to make the movie in a way that would get people interested in finding out the truth for themselves.
It's one of those movies that you have to see more than once(or I did anyway) to catch all the little details. One of my favorite parts is the montage where M.A. is trying on all the new clothes and shoes and there is a pair of pastel blue Chucks(Converses) sitting there on the floor. I didn't catch that the first time. There's quite a pastel theme clothes, shoes, even food, made for pretty scenes. The soundtrack is great too Dustin O'Halloran is a great contemporary composer his music captured the mood for me.(lots of other great music too) :biggrin:
I thought all of the actors did really well ,Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman especially. Have to mention Noailles b/c she was just about as uptight and intimidating as I imagined her to be, a bit disappointed that a lot of the key people in her life weren't filled out much, if at all .As far as the costumes go I don't know if the were exactly correct but they were absolutely gorgeous!!! Overall still have to say it's one of my favorites...

Welcome to the board.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much. When I first saw it I really disliked it, it wasn't what I had expected and at first I just could not get past the inaccuracies, but after watching it a few more times I can enjoy it for what it is, Sofia's view and the wonderful views of Versaille and the Trianon. I still do not like Kristen Dunst as Marie-Antoinette, but I did like Jason Schwartzman as King Louis XVI. Even though I like Jason I keep thinking that British actor Paul Bettany would make a good Louis XVI.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:08 pm
Noble
Noble

Thanks, I'm glad to be here! I know that Coppola's film isn't very popular on here(that's why I like it here lots of opinions!) and I hate for people to think that b/c I liked it I have a jaded view of Marie Antoinette. I do appreciate it though for the sheer beauty and especially because it inspired me to learn more about M.A. :biggrin:
I have wondered what would make a truly great Marie Antoinette film. Is there a topic about that on here? Haven't seen it if there is. It would be interesting to see what everyone's opinions on which key events, which people in her life etc. would make for the best, most genuine movie. It's ridiculously hard to fit all of the elements in to one movie under 3 hours long. I think maybe a trilogy...

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:53 pm
Noble
Noble

I liked the movie as well, just not for its "historical content" because there wasn't very much of that. I appreciate the movie for its aesthetics. The clothes and the settings were astonishingly beautiful. As an historical bio-pic, not so much.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i liked the mix of classical and contemporary music

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:52 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I actually liked the movie it catches the eye of younger people (such as myself) and gets them interested in something other than celebrities
I saw the movie before I knew very much about Marie Antoinette and the French revolution and ever since the movie i have been studying it like crazy its so facinating to me! The movie is a bit confusing if you do not know much about the royal court. And i do believe after seeing a few times more it sends off a mixed vibe about MA sometimes its negative and sometimes its positive did anyone else notice this?

Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I loved the movie. It's actually what got me into MA.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 pm
Noble
Noble

I did love Coppola's beautifully elaborate costumes ( that quite possibly took 1 million dollars each to make), however those are just as beautiful ( the beauty is in the accuracy). I loved the glamorous looking movie and how it tried to capture teenage viewers (it worked), however hated how they trashed her name and reputation by showing constant scenes of partying and sex (though, unfortunately, some of it was true).

Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next