Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette
See and people thought that, but Elizabeth 1st is considered on of the greatest queensof all time.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

no, i think that liz didnt want to kill her cousin. she did it because she thought it was right for her people. liz was actually extreamly distressed about the whole thing.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:11 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think she did it for herself, not for her people. Mary Queen of Scots had a claim to the English throne, which Elizabeth was naturally threatened by. It would have come to nothing though - Mary was staunchly Catholic, and Protestant England would never have accepted her as Queen. Inicidentally she WAS a good mother, just like Marie Antoinette. Mary's faults were that she was not as forceful a character as Elizabeth and was viewed at the time by the male dominated society as being frivolous, flighty and out of touch with her people. Elizabeth was also said to be jealous of her younger, more beautiful cousin....not a reason to behead her I'm sure lol!!! Elizabeth was the better Queen out of the two though. There may be some similarities between Mary Queen of Scots and Marie Antoinette - both pawns in the games of others, which ended in tragedy. Oops, strayed off topic again - sorry!! :angel10:

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:25 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i see what you mean. but i honestly think that liz didnt want to kill mary. in many of the novels on liz, it states that she was cautious of mary since she was a chathlic but never wanted to kill her. when the warent for mary's beheading was sent to liz, she had it sent back and forth time and time again. she didnt want to kill mary but she really had no choice. she was ordered to do it by her officials saying her people would be at risk if mary lived. anyway. back to the topic. the movie sucked!

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Princess2 wrote:
I think she did it for herself, not for her people. Mary Queen of Scots had a claim to the English throne, which Elizabeth was naturally threatened by. It would have come to nothing though - Mary was staunchly Catholic, and Protestant England would never have accepted her as Queen. Inicidentally she WAS a good mother, just like Marie Antoinette. Mary's faults were that she was not as forceful a character as Elizabeth and was viewed at the time by the male dominated society as being frivolous, flighty and out of touch with her people. Elizabeth was also said to be jealous of her younger, more beautiful cousin....not a reason to behead her I'm sure lol!!! Elizabeth was the better Queen out of the two though. There may be some similarities between Mary Queen of Scots and Marie Antoinette - both pawns in the games of others, which ended in tragedy. Oops, strayed off topic again - sorry!! :angel10:

im sorry to stray but........
Mary had distant claims, there were more people inbetween her and Elizibeth, so really why worry?

Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:33 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Good point.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Comte de Provence wrote:
Good point.

thank you :D

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:52 am
Royalty
Royalty

I think we are straying off topic here again. I viewed Marie Antoinette again last week and the opening shot of her eating cakes and having her feet massaged....I was thinking, "This is not the Marie Antoinette I know. This reinforces all the stereotypes of her!" Was the shot meant in that way, to show our preconceived notion, or really just reinforce throughout the film that she was a decadent sweet fiend?

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
I think we are straying off topic here again. I viewed Marie Antoinette again last week and the opening shot of her eating cakes and having her feet massaged....I was thinking, "This is not the Marie Antoinette I know. This reinforces all the stereotypes of her!" Was the shot meant in that way, to show our preconceived notion, or really just reinforce throughout the film that she was a decadent sweet fiend?

she was a Queen!!!!! im sure she had a few feet rubs and massive cakes!!!!!

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:

I love sweets, and am a sweet fiend.
Who isn't?

I thought so too, butI look at the room around her, thinking, I want this room.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

You are overreacting! I am not saying there is anything wrong per se with eating sweets, it's just that you think, "Hmm, yes - that is the Marie Antoinette we [without true understanding] know of." I am not alone in this reaction.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No I am not!
I'm in the middle of eating a cupcake silly!

It does make her look dcadent, with all that cake, but she hasn't even taken a bite!
Coppola says in the interview that it was to reflect the peoples idea of a decadent queen.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Well, versailles and yourself both went "So what? It's not like that, etc etc". She did dollop her fingers into the icing on the cakes and eat it. So there we go, Coppola did mean to show the "decadent queen" myth. Too bad she then proceeded to show Antoinette nibbling on Laduree macaroons for most of the film. She did not even like pastries that much!

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I really think that the opening shot and the gang of four song, was to show you who you thought the movie was about. When I saw that in the theater, there was an adable gasp, because the picture was stunning, beautiful, pampered, surrounded by this beautiful food, the soft pumes waving in her blonde high hair. The couch the cake stands... watch it in HD.... the blue walls..............so new and full of life. It makes me want to watch it again. because I didn't watch it this week yet. :oops:

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:46 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh no, dear! :lol:

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next