Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 The Coppola fim was booed at Cannes 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post The Coppola fim was booed at Cannes
The reviews are coming in. Apparently the Coppola film was booed today at Cannes. Critics are describing it as beautiful but empty.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 86/1/.html

There are other reviews on Google and the IMDb board. In one Reuters interview with Sofia she says she was influenced by the old Marlene Dietrich movie about Catherine the Great called "The Scarlet Empress." Why does that not surprise me....

Wed May 24, 2006 11:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

More reviews. Apparently when asked by Hollywood Reporter if she had always been interested in Marie-Antoinette, Coppola replies, "Not really." I guess it shows.

http://www.timeout.com/film/news/1169.html

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=771542006

Wed May 24, 2006 1:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed... I felt bored to death... Sacrilège ! Moi ? Bored while watching a movie about Marie-Antoinette ? Moi... prêtresse dévouée ? How was it possible ?

Well... This was not a movie about Marie-Antoinette, reine de France... This was a just a video-clip called "Marie-Antoinette"... by mistake, obviously !

Wed May 24, 2006 4:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I hear that some think that Dunst did ok and that there were moments of pure beauty, but that otherwise the film just did not work. The historical aberrations were overwhelming.

Wed May 24, 2006 5:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I did not like Dunst playing Marie-Antoinette. Her rond face expresses nothing but boredom or perversity. No passion... when she leaves her mother, her Austrian friends, madame de Polignac and others members of her dear circle... only little crocodile tears.

All she can do is to eat fruits and pieces of cake, all the time... :shock:

The scene with Fersen is just awful. No tenderness, no passion either. Nothing to do with any lady and her knight. Just another whore waiting for the next customer in a western brothel ! This is not beautiful, this doesn't resemble Marie-Antoinette refine universe.

And the way Dunst sings "c'est mon ami" ! Oh... if we can call it "singing"... and they had the divine blue theatre to shoot this ?! :? Poor Antoinette...

Wed May 24, 2006 5:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I know I would agree with you, Pimprenelle, if I were to see the film, which I won't. I mean, one can just tell from the stills and trailer, as we have been saying all along. I think people liked Dunst in the role just because they like HER and do not know much about the queen. The fact that Coppola thinks that Dunst resembles Antoinette shows that she has not studied many paintings of her. No passion, you say. Marie-Antoinette was very passionate and very emotional.

Dunst sang? Who said "Let them eat cake?" Anyone?

The scene with Fersen sounds terrible. They should not show them in bed since no one knows for certain whether that really happened, but then to show it in such a vulgar way is inexcusable. It would have been very intense and romantic, I would think.

Wed May 24, 2006 9:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Actually, I think this Coppola movie contains souvenirs of Van Dyke's awful one. Young dauphine also gets to a masked bal at night, secretly. It reminded me of this long scene in Van Dyke's movie.

There, she meets Fersen, even if Louis is wandering in the neighbourhood... They flirt, uninteresting... and inaccurate, following Fersen's diary, that shows only a few words about dauphine Antoinette and a long narrative about another girl, who seduced him more, obviously.

They meet again at court, on an official presentation, but she does not say "ah, c'est une ancienne connaissance".

The actor playing Fersen has but one glance in his playing game : "I want you now. Sic et hic !". They talk a bit, sitting in a couch, in the middle of Antoinette's circle.

Then... there is a strange scene in Trianon stairs. Women and men enter a room. Door is closed. Fersen opens another door, grabs Marie-Antoinette. Cut. Shot on the bed with the fan.

Moche, franchement moche, les amis...

Another scene makes me think of Van Dyke : Polignac suddenly appears in Antoinette's loge (already duchess, but it's only one more inaccuracy !), presenting a "Russian friend"... a Russian ! Just like in Van Dyke's movie !
But it was not Fersen, here... :lol:

Yes, Therese, Dunst says "let them eat cake". It's a rather bad shot, she has an awful make-up, certainly to let us know it's a caricature (? :shock: ). Then, back to the boudoir, Antoinette sitting with Lamballe and Poliganc and whispering "I never said that".

Ah... Pastries makers were sponsors... :lol:

Thu May 25, 2006 1:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, Pimprenelle, I thought just from the trailer and stills that it reminded me of the Van Dyke one, with all the same inaccuracies. Sofia Coppola said in an interview that she started watching the Van Dyke film but she turned it off; she did not want to be influenced, but obviously she was. She also watched "The Scarlet Empress."

The scene on the Trianon stairs sounds very bizarre.

Thanks for your impressions!

Thu May 25, 2006 1:17 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Reading all these reviews has me relieved that we're not the only ones outraged by how wrongly Antoinette is being portrayed...

<hugs>

Fri May 26, 2006 7:13 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, and here is another review which may express the feelings some of us share about the film:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... 63,00.html

(Of course, I do not agree with the comment that Marie-Antoinette was indifferent to the suffering of the people.)

Mon May 29, 2006 12:21 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

When Antoinette and her entourage sneak out of Versailles to attend a masked ball in Paris, people dance to a pop soundtrack as if at a modern day disco. One of the songs featured is Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy". :x :x :x

This now gets me upset! Since when did Marie dance to hip hop or pop???? This is absurd!! Sophia has gone too far! If Marie were here she would laugh to death but at the same time be discouraged for ruining her life story that is full of beauty!

Wed May 31, 2006 8:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wed May 31, 2006 8:26 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Sounds calamitous! :x sounds vicious! and of course poisons her reputation!

Wed May 31, 2006 8:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, rock music or converses are not that terrible, you know... The most terrible thing is that Antoinette is portrayed as a "blond" girl... so teenager, so XXIth century, so average. She seems so polite, so consensual... nothing special, nothing peculiar. She makes things because they are fashionable. She drinks champagne, she gambles, she smokes pipe, she sleeps with a boy... just for try ! Surely this nice "girl next door" could never die without a sigh, so noble, on the scaffoled !

Wed May 31, 2006 9:13 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Oh no I said it sounds vicious to put rock music with her dancing to it, the music, it should have been more of that era, so you can get a feeling to it. What's terrible that she is laying down half naked behind a fan!

Wed May 31, 2006 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next