Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 The Coppola fim was booed at Cannes 
Noble
Noble

Only time will and can tell how out of proportion this film truly is. Like someone has all ready said on this board, it's quite unfortunate but sex sells and I believe the only thing Coppola's interested in is the green stuff, so why wouldn't she stuff sex in this movie every way possible? We could discuss this until we're blue in the face and it's still going to stand as a movie that might, not indefinitely, sell tickets because of those kind of tag lines. I think the majority of movie audience’s IQ is seriously doubted by film makers and studios alike because of the movie's I've recently seen out. The real intellectual films, the ones that make you think and feel true emotions are now dubbed 'independent films' because the main stream audience is more interested in escaping without consequences to the mind, meaning films that don't make you truly think.

I'm not meaning to insult anyone here or anyone anywhere else but this is what the film of today has become, just look at your local theater's marquee for proof. So we can't completely blame Coppola for this horrid and disgraceful film, we do have to take in account what has sold in the past for movies.

++ Jolie ++

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:39 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Coppola, I think everyone agrees here, isn't a total blame for the movie. I'm sure everyone is just upset including I because it's making a movie about someone we all know to be true and honest and potrayed into a fake model.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:25 pm
Noble
Noble

I honestly hope no one thinks I was pointing fingers or standing up for Coppola nor anyone else involved in this horrid betrayal of Queen Marie Antoinette. That is the last thing I would do and I completely agree with you, Louis-Antoinette, that Coppola isn't the only one to blame but she is a big part of it :evil: .

++ Jolie ++

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Jolie. It is sad but true. All what you said about what sells the movies etc. At the long time, I think, the big industry-quality and empty movies have made a great harm to the art of film-making. Business is not everything. Real artists and those who have something to say should be able to use movie-making easy as the other forms of art. Making films should not be so expensive that you are forced to make huge compromises in order just to finish and distribute a film to the wider audience. And how sad that some movie directors and staff very openly critisize a film only by counting how much it has given them money.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:18 pm
Noble
Noble

I have not yet seen the movie, but it's a shame it was reviewed so poorly. I think the film had potential to really be great, especially considering the budget. And you'd think someone working on the film would have took into account the history and stood up and said, "Hey, that's not right," but oh well. I mean, I myself am a teenaged girl and even I think the teen-girl focus that the movie seems to have is shallow. I had hoped for more, but I shall see the movie anyway, as I am curious.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:55 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I've just read this whole thread, and I have to say I am really disappointed. It could have been a wonderful film if it had been done well. I'm definitely going to skip going to the theater with this one and wait to rent it. It really bugs me that so many people who know nothing about Marie will see this movie and get the wrong impression. :(

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
It really bugs me that so many people who know nothing about Marie will see this movie and get the wrong impression.

Indeed it's what I also think, that's why I really hope that few people will see this film :?

There are some good aspects, like the feeling "lost" of Marie-Antoinette in Versailles when she arrived in 1770, but the too many histories errors waste a little...

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:06 am
Profile WWW
I really enjoyed this movie. Of course it contains a lot of historical errors and simplifications but it does not really matter, except maybe the « advanced » relation between M. de Fersen et Marie-Antoinette wich I found indecent despite its shortness. This is definitely not a biographical portrait, simply the psychological painting of a woman teared between her desires and her duties. I think this film gives to spectators a good feeling about Marie-Antoinette. Some people will see her for the first time not as a horrible monster loving cakes but as a real woman, with her doubts and her joys. A successful humanization of the Queen.

By the way the decorations are wonderful, the costumes are amazing and the OST is nice, from The Cure to Jean-Philippe Rameau.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Some people will see her for the first time not as a horrible monster loving cakes

They will see her as a empty-headed girl spending her time eating chemical rose pastries ! Interesting, indeed... :roll:

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I was appalled to go to the bookstore the other night and to see copies of Lady Fraser's books adorned not by a beautiful portrait of the real queen but by a picture of Kirsten Dunst, ablaze with chemical rose. Language fails to convey my reaction to such a sight......

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It's the same for the French translation, dear Therese. It is violet, with an extra jacket adorned with Dunst's rond face. I usually remove it when I fall upon it in my local supermarket ! :lol:

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ha ha me I have shame I left it in the book... :oops:
Forgiveness forgiveness :lol:

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Louis-Charles, you are very naughty, but I forgive you! :P

I just tried to put other books in front of them, but the way the display was arranged made it tres difficile. :cry:

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Louis-Charles, you are very naughty, but I forgive you!

Ah thank you :D
But I think that I will not delay to remove it :lol:

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Bravo, Louis-Charles. I think we all need to make a concerted effort to remove this scourge! :shock: :wink:

I must say, it is provoking and disconcerting to see Kirsten's face on a serious biography of the queen. I don't know why they can't work out a deal with Carolly Erickson, and put Kirsten's picture on the cover of "Hidden Diary."

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next