Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Versailles, le rêve d'un roi 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Versailles, le rêve d'un roi
I have just been watching this film/documentary. In English, (I presume the original does not contain the English voiceover?) a quasi historical reenactment/documentary depicting the process of the building of Versailles and the court of Louis XIV, beautiful to look at (as much such films are) and an interesting glimpse into how Versailles came to be. I have been enjoying it, I think there is a great deal to be said for historical reenactment on film, particularly when it comes to illuminating great works of architecture, buildings really come to life when we also try to imagine those who designed, built and first lived in them.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:33 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Versailles, le rêve d'un roi
Adrianne, i would enjoy watching that myself, did you watch it on tv,dvd,or via the internet, i am in the uk and can find it on dailymotion but only in french. i would like to watch the english version. could you point me in the right direction, would be very grateful.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:31 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Mercy - I was watching it on television here in Australia. The film had an English voice-over throughout explaining the history and events, however the dramatised parts of the film were in French with English subtitles. I wonder if you can find a copy at least with the subtitles to watch. I just did a quick search and found DVD copies of the French version so that is of no use to you. Can anyone else help?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Adrienne, thanks for your prompt reply, we are along way apart, thats why i never saw it in the tv listings lol. i will have a good look around on the internet and if i find any joy will post details incase any other forum members might like to watch it. thanks again, mercy.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:33 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

been having a look on the internet and this was shown on the bbc in the uk last summer as," versailles the dream of a king" dont know how i missed it. :(

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:52 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

mercy-argenteau wrote:
Adrianne, i would enjoy watching that myself, did you watch it on tv,dvd,or via the internet, i am in the uk and can find it on dailymotion but only in french. i would like to watch the english version. could you point me in the right direction, would be very grateful.

luckly I can speak italian, english, french and japanese, so I can see a movie in different languages. I must say that the original french version of this movie is beautiful, the most touchable thing , I think, is when Louis seems watching at you in different scenes, I think it is director's idea, he seems saiyng to you " look, this is who I am"
You can see this during the party in the garden , for example

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]