Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Secrets d'histoire: Marie Antoinette intime 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Secrets d'histoire: Marie Antoinette intime
Marie Antoinette intime - part 1 to 6 can been seen on Dailymotion

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xac84d_marie-antoinette-intime-1_news

It is the original documentary shown on French TV (France 2, Secrets d'histoire) some time ago with many interesting details about MA and the places she lived. :wave:

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Secrets d'histoire: Marie Antoinette intime
Funny that you should mention that because I watched it again the other night! I have it recorded on DVD.

It is by Stéphane Bern who actually knows a lot about the Queen, especially for a TV presenter.

I love the beginning, filmed on the flat roof of the Petit Trianon! Lucky guy to get up there!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:50 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I loved her room at le Petit Trianon, her bath room and the state of the art chaise perchée... Never thought such a thing existed at that time :angel9:

Another very interesting Secrets documentary I saw was the one on Diane de Poitiers. Did you see it?
She apparently was famous for her gold elixier. She used to drink it every day like MA her hot chocolate 8) Princess Michael of Kent is a descendant of her...

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes I did see it and I've visited her Château at Anet.

Princess Michael of Kent has written a biography of her famous relative, but I haven't read it.

She was a very fascinating and "modern" woman, managing to remain the favourite of Henri II for many years despite the 20 year age gap..in her disfavour!

Catherine de Medicis, Henri II's Queen, was so obsessed by Diane, that rumour has it she had a small hole bored into the wall of the King's bedroom to be able to observe this amazing couple making love, perhaps in order to learn this woman's secret! Apparently their passion and love quite overwhelmed her!

Diane kept herself in shape by modern methods, practicing sport (unheard of!) and watching carefully over her diet, drinking spring water from a well on the premises and using creams and potions for her complexion. Unfortunately one of these potions, the gold that she drank with mercury I believe, probably caused her demise, as it slowly poisoned her.

She was actually Henri II's nursemaid when he was a baby, so she watched him grow up and become her lover. It is touching to see the H and the D interlaced in stone as an emblem all over the facade of her Château....together for eternity, a real love story.

The story of her remains that were recently found in an unmarked grave next to the wall of the old church of Anet is also extraordinary! At the Revolution the "sans culottes", with typical lack of all grace and respect, broke into her tomb which is in the chapel of the Château d'Anet and threw her bones into a mass grave by the wall of the local church. Recently historians and forensic scientists , having heard this rumour, dug a hole and came upon a mixture of human bones, some of children related to Diane and others clearly of an adult female. After DNA testing they were able to authentify certain bones as being those of the favourite and they were duly re-interred in the chapel tomb, to remain there for posterity!

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Chocolat wrote:

and the state of the art chaise perchée... Never thought such a thing existed at that time

Did you notice there was even a kind of button on the right that she could push releasing a spray of water from underneath for the purposes of female hygiene...!

Must have been a bit of a cold shock to the system!! :lol:

Which shows that the Queen bothered about such matters, despite the rumours that in the 18th century women didn't care about intimate hygiene..!

That being said not all women were Queen of France with flushing toilets! :)

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]