Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Favorite portrayal of Marie Antoinette? 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Favorite portrayal of Marie Antoinette?
Forgive me if this is a redundant thread, but I just wanted to know. Marie Antoinette has obviously been portrayed in many different films, plays, etc, and I was just wondering which portrayal you enjoyed the most and/or found the most historically accurate?

Myself, I really can't comment because I haven't seen too much. I saw the 2006 movie, but it didn't really do much for me. I guess La Révolution Française from 1989 was pretty good, though she didn't get much screentime...

What do you all think?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Favorite portrayal of Marie Antoinette?
Ute Lemper, but I did not see that many films.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:11 am
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome Vive. We already have an extensive thread on this, please join here: http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=316

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Ah, so sorry. I actually saw that thread but had thought that it was discussing what was the all-around best Marie Antoinette film, rather than favorite portrayal. (For example, my favorite portrayal of Sir Percy Blakeney is in the 1982 Scarlet Pimpernel, but my favorite Scarlet Pimpernel movie is the 1999 version.) I think I misunderstood. Sorry for the mix-up. :oops:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 pm
Royalty
Royalty

No worries, feel free to continue this discussion. I just felt that thread discussed the portrayal and era. Go on!

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ute Lemper's portrayal of the Queen is quite sublime, and one forgets that she is not actually Marie Antoinette. Not too flashy, not too pretty, but with a regal somewhat haughty weary bearing and that slight Austrian tinge in her French accent. It is an embodiment, more than an impersonation.

As for the text it simply lets Ute Lemper pronounce many of the exact replies that the Queen actually gave at her trial. I have the proof of this as I possess a book written 5 years after the trial with the exact transcript of the questions and replies. Of course this film is in French and actually only concerns her time at the Conciergerie.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]