Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:29 am



Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Negative points of Coppola's film 
Author Message
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:54 am
Posts: 2040
Post 
I completely agree with you, reine Margot ! How frustrating it is ! :x

_________________
te voir encore me rappelle à la vie


Sat May 19, 2007 7:25 am
Profile
Post 
Well, I really have to say that a director is an artist. Soffia Coppola is a director. A great one. I'm really drawn to anything Marie Antoinette-related and I feel the greatest simpathy for her. But, as I said, Coppola had no obligation whatsoever to write an historic accurate screen play because she is an artist and has a vision and wants to give the audiences HER vision.

For me this movie is one of the best I have ever seen. I can see all the innacuracies in it but they're unimportant because it's a 2 hours movie. It's supposed to pass out a picture of the young Marie Antoinette and it does. Nobody but French and hardcore fans can notice the mistakes, but everybody will leave the room feeling Antoinette was a very loveable queen. And that is good out of a commercial movie.


Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:54 am
Posts: 2040
Post 
Quote:
Nobody but French and hardcore fans can notice the mistakes


That is important, in my view, for the title indicates no distance with history. Coppola simply called it "Marie Antoinette", and did not show Marie Antoinette.

Let's take Forman. He chose to call his movie "Amadeus", which was an extremely clever and sensitive choice. We immediately know there is some distance between the true character and the artist's view.

On the other hand, Sofia Coppola shows to the audience historical mistakes (Provence's son and so on, which you seem to consider important only for French or fans people, Marco... :roll:) and psychological, chronological... any kind of deeper mistakes. I mean, she imposes her views on Versailles court, and that is wrong, for she mistakes Versailles for Hollywood and herself for Marie Antoinette.

I gave money to watch a movie about Marie Antoinette, referring to its title, not about Sofia Coppola. I would not pay for it... :roll:

Quote:
but everybody will leave the room feeling Antoinette was a very loveable queen

Unfortunately they won't ! Not everybody. Have you read more reviews ? Many people now consider Marie Antoinette was a stupid glamourous girl, completely uninteresting, bored and boring.

Now, on the artistic standpoint... that is quite subjective, isn't it ? I did not like this movie on this standpoint first of all, you know. Too long, too slow for me, boring, boring, boring ... No dialogues, no script... no depth. Only this so fashionable, snobbish and decadent boredom. Another shallow hollywoodian production.

Image

_________________
te voir encore me rappelle à la vie


Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:10 am
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
I found the movie tiresome. It barely had any dialogue. But what really ruined it for me were the scenes of the Fersen affair, which were very degrading to the memory of Marie-Antoinette.

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:20 pm
Profile
Post 
It's both good and bad.


Good, for it definitely focuses on the relentless emotions of a typical teenage girl and her dealing with her position in life.

Bad, for the amount of effort it takes to display the girl's frustration and emotions, the movie pays the price by having historical inaccuracies.




Personally, I think it's a good movie. Why? It appeals to a broad, general, young audience to actually get to become (at least) somewhat familiar with a historical figure that most young people wouldn't really think too much about - it sort of invites them to get to know her more by interpreting her through a 'hollywood' movie. Sure, the acting may not be good, there may be too many inaccuracies, but seriously, I bet more people are a little bit more aware of Marie Antoinette's existence now than before the movie debuted. For one, I didn't really care too much about Marie Antoinette until this movie debut - it appealed to me because it's visually appealing and the fact that it's not another typical teenage parody. After I watched the movie, the more I wanted to get to know about Marie Antoinette (the REAL one), I started reading her biography, going to the bookstore and reading novels about her, looked online at the powerful paintings of her depicted through visual art, and everything else takes off from there :)


I DO have to admit though, the emotions of Marie felt a bit too shallow in Coppla's interpretation. There should have been more emotion into it, I also didn't like the fact that it sort of abruptly 'brushed' over a lot of important scenes (ex. the death of her 3rd child).


Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:54 am
Posts: 2040
Post 
I understand your point of view, dear... especially because I felt the same myself, when I was a teen. I was appealed to Marie Antoinette's fate because of a movie.

The difference is that this movie was a very serious one, base on historical accuracy.

To make it short, my point is that you would be interested in Marie Antoinette sooner or later... no need of Sofia Coppola's personal visions... :roll:

_________________
te voir encore me rappelle à la vie


Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:01 am
Profile
Noble
Noble
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Shropshire, UK
Post 
Having skim read through the wikki about marie antoinette I had a grasp of the facts (altho you can not totally rely on wikki as it is not 100%) it came to me as a small shock so many mistakes were made in the movie.

Then again someone did mention it did not have to be correct because it was the directors artistic view. It could have been so much better altho the costumes, locations were very good.

Therese wrote:
I found the movie tiresome. It barely had any dialogue. But what really ruined it for me were the scenes of the Fersen affair, which were very degrading to the memory of Marie-Antoinette.


I agree on the above point made by therese aswell the affair with fersen to me was just a random part of the movie which just did not seem to fit in.

Overall Id say about 6/10 for me, it is the large amount of mistake which ruins it for me.

Oh yeah the soundtrack bleeecchh


Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:51 pm
Profile
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 74
Post Re: Negative points of Coppola's film
I´m a fan of details and Coppola doesn´t pay attention to details when it comes to the clothes that were used in the film. If you really want to know how accurate clothes of the 18th century really looked like, check out these pictures at http://www.durantextiles.com/bildspel/index.htm.
/Thorleif Nilsson


Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:49 am
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 250
Location: There among the stars
Post Re: Negative points of Coppola's film
I like this classic Swedish look from your link Thorleif! :biggrin:
Attachment:
nii.jpg
nii.jpg [ 87.72 KiB | Viewed 1699 times ]

_________________
Kära du, tillåt mig, med eld i mitt hjärta, att hålla dig varm.


Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:45 am
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:50 pm
Posts: 1681
Post Re: Negative points of Coppola's film
This is how I see Axel Fersen, the Swedish beauty! 8)

_________________
If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. St. Francis of Assisi


Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:30 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 1:14 am
Posts: 808
Location: Le Petit Trianon, France
Post Re: Negative points of Coppola's film
Ok im so sorry but i am soooo sick of all these "SC did it wrong" and "Negitive Points" boards about SC's movie. She did it HER way to appease the MAJORITY of viewers, not to be historically accurate!! Please this is sooo old! without that movie there would be nothing to get so many of theses members interested. And ,shockingly, the movie also helped MA's image, It showed that the phamplets were not to be believed and that she was a caring, iinnoscent girl!

sorry i just wanted to clear the air there.

_________________
“There is nothing new except what has been forgotten.”- Marie Antoinette


Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:15 am
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 250
Location: There among the stars
Post Re: Negative points of Coppola's film
Marija Vera wrote:
This is how I see Axel Fersen, the Swedish beauty! 8)

Oh you are so right. and if he did look like this...


Versalles, we are not tearing down the Copalla movie here.... only admiring the natural Swedish attributes of this young man. Axel Fersen was Swedish after all. And here is a picture of an actual swede. in a historicaly correct costume, on a horse..."looking for all the world like the hero of a novel." :book:

_________________
Kära du, tillåt mig, med eld i mitt hjärta, att hålla dig varm.


Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:48 am
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:50 pm
Posts: 1681
Post Re: Negative points of Coppola's film
Elle wrote:
Versalles, we are not tearing down the Copalla movie here.... only admiring the natural Swedish attributes of this young man

I must visit Sweden!Soon! :wink:

versailles wrote:
Ok im so sorry but i am soooo sick of all these "SC did it wrong" and "Negitive Points" boards about SC's movie. She did it HER way to appease the MAJORITY of viewers, not to be historically accurate!! Please this is sooo old! without that movie there would be nothing to get so many of theses members interested. And ,shockingly, the movie also helped MA's image, It showed that the phamplets were not to be believed and that she was a caring, iinnoscent girl!


That’s true.
It is her view, she had a freedom as an artist and it is useless to discuss it so much. Some people like it, other not, like the book The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette. I can’t help myself; I like the book and it got me interested in Marie Antoinette at the first place! I admit, it is like Hollywood movie, not accurate, but I see something in the book that is very valuable to me.

_________________
If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. St. Francis of Assisi


Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:22 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 1:14 am
Posts: 808
Location: Le Petit Trianon, France
Post Re: Negative points of Coppola's film
Elle wrote:
Marija Vera wrote:
This is how I see Axel Fersen, the Swedish beauty! 8)

Oh you are so right. and if he did look like this...


Versalles, we are not tearing down the Copalla movie here.... only admiring the natural Swedish attributes of this young man. Axel Fersen was Swedish after all. And here is a picture of an actual swede. in a historicaly correct costume, on a horse..."looking for all the world like the hero of a novel." :book:

i didnt mean right here i ment in general.



Marija Vera wrote:
Elle wrote:
Versalles, we are not tearing down the Copalla movie here.... only admiring the natural Swedish attributes of this young man

I must visit Sweden!Soon! :wink:

versailles wrote:
Ok im so sorry but i am soooo sick of all these "SC did it wrong" and "Negitive Points" boards about SC's movie. She did it HER way to appease the MAJORITY of viewers, not to be historically accurate!! Please this is sooo old! without that movie there would be nothing to get so many of theses members interested. And ,shockingly, the movie also helped MA's image, It showed that the phamplets were not to be believed and that she was a caring, iinnoscent girl!


That’s true.
It is her view, she had a freedom as an artist and it is useless to discuss it so much. Some people like it, other not, like the book The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette. I can’t help myself; I like the book and it got me interested in Marie Antoinette at the first place! I admit, it is like Hollywood movie, not accurate, but I see something in the book that is very valuable to me.

i likeed that book but the thing with Eric was so overdone

_________________
“There is nothing new except what has been forgotten.”- Marie Antoinette


Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:39 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 am
Posts: 250
Location: There among the stars
Post Re: Negative points of Coppola's film
And I love the Coppala Movie and watch it at least 3x per month. plus I loved the book abundance, which alot of people don't.
you are right, that move helped her reputation I think...... :wink: I think I too should visit Sweden!!!!! I could only imagine his father! :lol:

_________________
Kära du, tillåt mig, med eld i mitt hjärta, att hålla dig varm.


Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:11 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.