Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 When will her political satires in film/television end? 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post When will her political satires in film/television end?
I have been thinking about all the references, or political satires, made to Marie Antoinette in popular television/movies etc, and it is always the same. That she was a frivolous Queen who did not care about the poor.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sex and the City, its one of my favourite shows, but in one episode there is a reference made about Antoinette when the girls are all in the beauty salon getting their pedicures done. Charlotte says how we live in a class based society still today and pointedly looks at the salon girls painting their nails, and Carrie mocks her by calling her Marie Antoinette.

Theres other examples too where Marie Antoinette is constantly refered to as the Queen who said Let them Eat Cake, and it just makes me feel like despite fact, it has become a societal norm to mock her. Maybe I am getting a little carried away, but I just feel that by making this a norm, it is no wonder so many justify her death because it instills in people that she was a greedy queen who didn't care about her people.

Of course people can do and say what they want, but when will we hear something about her in popular media that was of her suffering, or how she actually cared about her people and by 'letting everyone down' would be her greatest unhappiness? Or will it always be the satires of her frivolity, unkindness and jokes about being beheaded that is over and over reiterated because people find it amusing.

I surely can't be the only one who doesn't?

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: When will her political satires in film/television end?
I knew there must be a reason why I don't watch that show....Obviouly allot of people don't read, and I thought it was so passe to Think of her this way???? That show to me seems so common and plays to the average girl. the ones who don't read or deviate from that mid mark. I can only say that you can't expect more from it, because you are probably to smart for it. I know alot of you girls like that show...just dont expect to much from it. :lol:

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I like the show. :oops:

I remember seeing some caricatures on the internet, funny indeed but again referring to the famous sentence. I like to think that the sentence is now famous for itself and that more and more people know that we don’t have any historical evidence of Marie Antoinette making that statement.

Marie Antoinette will stay the symbol of frivolity; she did visited balls while people were dying on the streets from hunger. I don’t think her tragedy will correct that image completely in the eyes of people who are not particularly interested in history and the complexity of human nature.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here is something from the internet that can be helpful to all of us who are confused by this sentence. Brand new members and M.A. enthusiasts, read! :angel5:

Let them eat cake
Origin

The origin of many phrases in English are unknown. Nevertheless, many people would say that they know the source of this one. It is widely attributed to Marie-Antoinette (1755-93), the Queen consort of Louis XVI. She is supposed to have said this when she was told that the French populace had no bread to eat.

The original The French is Qu'ils mangent de la brioche. It has been suggested that the speaker's intention wasn't as cynical as is generally supposed. French law required bakers to sell loaves at fixed prices and fancy loaves had to be sold at the same price as basic breads. This was aimed at preventing bakers from selling just the more profitable expensive products. The let them eat brioche (a form of cake made of flour, butter and eggs) would have been a sensible suggestion in the face of a flour shortage as it would have allowed the poor to eat what would otherwise have been unaffordable. It's rather a mouthful, so to speak, but if the phrase had been reported as 'let them buy cake at the same price as bread' we might now think better of the French nobility.

Two notable contemporaries of Marie-Antoinette - Louis XVIII and Jean-Jacques Rousseau, attribute the phrase to another source. In Louis XVIII's memoir Relation d'un voyage a Bruxelles et d Coblentz (1791) he states that the phrase 'Que ne mangent-ils de la croûte de pâté?' (Why don't they eat pastry?) was used by Marie-Thérèse (1638-83), the wife of Louis XIV. That account was published almost a century after Marie-Thérèse's death though, so it must be treated with some caution.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau's 12-volume autobiographical work Confessions, was written in 1770. In Book 6, which was written around 1767, he recalls:

At length I recollected the thoughtless saying of a great princess, who, on being informed that the country people had no bread, replied, "Then let them eat pastry!"

Marie-Antoinette arrived at Versailles from her native Austria in 1770, two or three years after Rousseau had written the above passage. Whoever the 'great princess' was - possibly Marie-Thérèse , it wasn't Marie-Antoinette.
Her reputation as an indulgent socialite is difficult to shake, but it appears to be unwarranted and is a reminder that history is written by the victors. She was known to have said "It is quite certain that in seeing the people who treat us so well despite their own misfortune, we are more obliged than ever to work hard for their happiness". Nevertheless, the French revolutionaries thought even less of her than we do today and she was guillotined to death in 1793 for the crime of treason.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, this is a lovely summary and people still persist in attributing this quote to Marie Antoinette. I have always thought, however, that even though she did not say it, the point of the scurrilous nature of this rumour is that this is the sort of thing she would say. People began to think after years of rumours that this evil, blood sucking 'Austrian woman' was capable of such cruelty. This is the whole point of the comment: all aristocracy are ignorant and mean about the plight of the poor. Of course our dear, compassionate queen cared very much for the French people, particularly in her later years.

Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Exactly! The problem is not so much in that sentence (which is quite annoying anyway), but the fact people think her capable of saying that. She would never have said that, because she was of a compassionate nature and she was aware of the problems of people. The mistakes she made have nothing to do with her not caring about her people: this is just a great confusion that a lot of people make today, partly because (I'm convinced if this) we are still affected by revolutionary propaganda after two centuries.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Since Marie-Antoinette's reign shes had the image of the airhead spendthrift and, this is horrible to say but, there's nothing we can do. It's like if someone came up to you and said Princess Diana was a whore or George Washington was a woman you wouldent believe them. Well same with saying MA didnt do what people claim. People have been fed her lies for so long no one knows the truth anymore, really he best you can do is to correct them, or send in a letter to a company, even then........

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]