Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Filming on Location and Kirsten Dunst 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Filming on Location and Kirsten Dunst
Although I have not seen Sofia Coppella's Marie Antoinette yet because its not out in Australia until Dec, I did see a little bit of behind the scenes on some website with the making of the Vogue photo shoot, and it made me think back to when I visited Versailles how you basically couldn't touch anything in the palace's and what not at Versailles, for reasons such as preservation etc. I forget if it was the Hall of Mirrors or one of the magnificant hallways, but it was lined with hairdressers, make-up crew for the cast, and just thought about how Hollywood does go in and think it can do what it wants. Also with the various photos on shoot in the different rooms of the palace, I mean I understand in order to film something about Marie Antoinette to be acurate or atleast a little realistic they would have to film it on location, but I also wonder whether they actually appreciated where they actually where whilst filming it, and if they destroyed property whilst doing so. Im a sceptic of Kirsten Dunst here, she just doesn't really seem to be that honoured with the role she played, when I believe it is one of the biggest priveledge's to play...
I know she said she feels empathy for Marie Antoinette, but when I heard her say how Sofia let her incorporate 'herself' into Marie Antoinette, it made her feel so much more comfortable than playing some old historic figure - that made me feel kinda put off....I thought it was actually kind of selfish and ignorant of her to say something like that..

I will try and find the link, but I know its on one fo the YouTube.s Marie Antoinette interviews with Sofia and Kirsten...

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree. I do not understand the need for an authentic backdrop when they disregard basic historical facts and take liberties with the lives of people who were very real and had great sufferings.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:02 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: Filming on Location and Kirsten Dunst
Jasmine d'Adelaide wrote:
, I mean I understand in order to film something about Marie Antoinette to be acurate or atleast a little realistic they would have to film it on location, but I also wonder whether they actually appreciated where they actually where whilst filming it, and if they destroyed property whilst doing so. ..

I have not seen the film yet either, and I am not even going to try to defend anything about it. But I am thinking they were not allowed to go into one of France's National treasures and tromp around like a herd of cows......breaking as they went. Are there any media reports etc from France indicating the crew destroyed things?

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

They were given an old parchment to use and gave it back all folded up.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:53 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I agree. I do not understand the need for an authentic backdrop when they disregard basic historical facts and take liberties with the lives of people who were very real and had great sufferings.

I do agree with you so much on this, the sad thing is because some of it was filmed at Versailles is the only reason I am actually paying money to see it in the theater, other wise I would wait to rent it on DVD.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:54 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I just got my hands on a copy of the Sept issue of Vogue Magazine covering the new movie.
It says many of the interiors scenes were shot in Paris at the Centre Historique des Archives Nationales - Hotel de Soubise.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I am not sure how to make working links yet. I hope this works.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422720/news

At any rate at imdb.com under Marie-Antoinette 2006 there are many (small) news articles about the new movie, from the booing at Cannes and the star and director defending themselves. But the interesting one is about the filming at Versailles, what they were allowed to do and not do.[/url]

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:16 am
I liked this movie!..it was good...exsept for the end..i thought they could have donea better job

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:56 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I like Kirsten Dunst, but personally, if I was offered the role of Marie-Antoinette, I'd be madly nodding my head and in tears!

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:47 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

in an interview with jason schwartzmann, when asked what it was like to film in versailles, he expressed that he did find it to be an amazing experience. he talked about how he would look out a window or touch a lace curtain, wondering if the royal family ever looked out that same window or touched what he did. i can at least vouch for him in saying that he did appreciate being able to shoot in such a beautiful, historic location.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You don't need to play in an historical movie to have these so peculiar feelings... Versailles gives you those feelings, especially the little Trianon... When touching those doors, those pannels, when walking on those stairs...

Jason is a sensitive guy ! Good point for him ! He says more interesting things than Dunst, who once replied "I and Marie Antoinette have something in common indeed... a lot of hair !"

... so would reply my dog too... :mrgreen:

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:24 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

i agree! i think anyone gets those feelings being in such a historic place, but at least we know how appreciative jason was. he really is a sweet, sentimental guy! :D

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:03 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I don't necessarily agree with this. If Coppola had protested that she were making a biography/documentary of the life of the Queen, then yes I would find it most bizzare. But Coppola has insisted time and time again that she is not making a historicly correct biography or a documentary of the life of the Queen. She adapted the source material to create a movie based on the life of Marie Antoinette.

This isn't aimed directly at you, and I mean to cause no offence, but it does baffle me when people are annoyed that the film isn't correct in facts when Coppola never intended it to be in the first place and has openly stated so.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Perhaps Mothling, but Coppola called fer film "Marie-Antoinette" and she said that she took as a starting point a biography (the book of) Fraser ... therefore it is ambiguous....
If Coppola did not want respect the real Marie-Antoinette, she would have to call differently her film ....Marie-Antoinette is Marie-Antoinette :wink:

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next