Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Filming on Location and Kirsten Dunst 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

If the film was not really about M-A, then it could have been filmed in any number of locations. Why choose Versailles? Why distort Marie-Antoinette's life? Why not portray Catherine the Great, who had many lovers and different children by different men? Catherine had a sexually indifferent husband and had to face many political enemies. She overcame many trials and became a great ruler. I think Coppola would have done better to portray Catherine. She says that she watched "The Scarlet Empress" which is about Catherine and that certainly comes through in her interpretation of Marie-Antoinette.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Perhaps Mothling, but Coppola called fer film "Marie-Antoinette" and she said that she took as a starting point a biography (the book of) Fraser ... therefore it is ambiguous....
If Coppola did not want respect the real Marie-Antoinette, she would have to call differently her film ....Marie-Antoinette is Marie-Antoinette :wink:

Oui, d'accord.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:51 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

She chose Marie Antoinete simply because the story of her life inspired her, yet she wanted to take the story and make it her own. Coppola filmed in Versailles simply because she was given the oppurtunity to and so I suppose figured 'hey, why not?'. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that she didn't intend to film there but was offered by France when it was discoevered she would be filming a movie based on the life of M-A.

Everybody does have their own opinion, but this instance does baffle me.

I suppose I enjoyed the film simply because I accepted it from before even watching it to not be accurate, and to not portray anyone or any event exactly as they occured. I watched it with an open mind, I suppose, and I enjoyed it for what it was.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, but Coppola played with a real Queen of France....a real person who existed....we must respect her memory :wink:

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

That is true. But I think in the long run that Coppola didn't do anything disrespectful to the memory of Marie-Antoinette, except for the insinuation that she and Von Fersun were lovers.

Coppola at least played out Marie-Antoinette as a likeable figure whereas it would've been so easy for her to play her as the Evil Queen.

I suppose this is a topic in which we will always be torn on opinion! :wink:

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that certain scenes do not respect Marie-Antoinette: in particular the scenes where Dunst drink Champagne (Marie-Antoinette drank only water), where she eats full cakes (Marie-Antoinette ate little), where she has relations with Fersen (like you said :wink: ) and where she is impudic (Marie-Antoinette was very pudique)... Coppola showed a Marie-Antoinette who only thought to drink wine, to eat and to allure the boys... this image does not correspond to the real Marie-Antoinette... :?
Marie-Antoinette, the real one, was also a woman of taste, of heart, having a great intelligence... this aspect there is not represented in the movie.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that certain scenes do not respect Marie-Antoinette: in particular the scenes where Dunst drink Champagne (Marie-Antoinette drank only water), where she eats full cakes (Marie-Antoinette ate little), where she has relations with Fersen (like you said :wink: ) and where she is impudic (Marie-Antoinette was very pudique)... Coppola showed a Marie-Antoinette who only thought to drink wine, to eat and to allure the boys... this image does not correspond to the real Marie-Antoinette... :?
Marie-Antoinette, the real one, was also a woman of taste, of heart, having a great intelligence... this aspect there is not represented in the movie.

I agree. I think the film would have had tremendous potential without those scenes which distort and degrade the Martyr Queen's memory.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That is true. But I think in the long run that Coppola didn't do anything disrespectful to the memory of Marie-Antoinette, except for the insinuation that she and Von Fersun were lovers.

Mme Lorin, of l'Association Marie Antoinette, reminded us how Marie Antoinette's reputation was spoiled by the revolution propaganda. Indeed, the queen was portrayed as a debauched woman, who lived only for pleasure and slept around.

Mme Lorin added that is has bee and still is so difficult for us, the friends of Marie Antoinette, to rehabilitate her... and that, with this movie, we are back years and years ago !

For, how is Marie Antoinette portrayed in this movie ? :evil:

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:24 pm
Noble
Noble

Coppola at least played out Marie-Antoinette as a likeable figure whereas it would've been so easy for her to play her as the Evil Queen.

I suppose this is a topic in which we will always be torn on opinion! :wink:

Also, if you are going to make a film about Marie Antoinette, I guess you have to make a choice about whether to depict Fersen as her lover or not. He was a pivotal character in the queens life, lover or not. There are people that believe he was her lover, and those that maintain that they were spiritually in love but not physically. Coppola had to make her own choice.

Reading is my escape!
http://www.readingandbeading.blogspot.com

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, too bad Coppola chose to go by fantasy rather than fact.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:00 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

For if you have heard any of my post you know i didn't care for coppola's version When i picture Marie Antoinette i picture the little woman not even a woman but a queen in a red velvet dress Therese on the side charles on the imperial lap Joseph pointing to the unhappy godforsaken memory of the little princess and the Queen as The Imperial mother who has given birth to a generation of Prince Royalty. For we as fans of the Queen no her as a person and a queen of humility and clothes, childishness as a child and intelligence and courage looking at death in the end. What Ms Coopla shows is stupidity as child , shoes and clothes and coopla doesnt even show the end just that WRONG Last Sentence actually said by Elizabeth "Im Just Saying Goodbye", I hated the movie Versailles wasnt important, The Queen was and none else but her life and her events which is misinterpeted If you ask me, I think Coopla's a revolutionary.,!

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
I suppose I enjoyed the film simply because I accepted it from before even watching it to not be accurate, and to not portray anyone or any event exactly as they occured.

Yes, I believe that I would have viewed this movie very differently if I had not known anything about Marie-Antoinette before seeing the movie. My opinions most definately would have been different as they are if I had not researched M.A. and the French Revolution some.

Louis-Charles writes:
Quote:
Coppola showed a Marie-Antoinette who only thought to drink wine, to eat and to allure the boys... this image does not correspond to the real Marie-Antoinette...
It is sad to me that the Queen was portrayed like this in the movie, because it really mirrors how she was so often treated in her real life...all the libels against her and ruining her reputation, when, in fact, she had so many good acts to lead the people and the nation. I don't think the movie treated her spirit with dignity and also did not respect of her true nature. Due to the fact that she endured such terrific pain and tragedy in her life, I believe we should be careful how we portray her and her story should not be taken so lightly, as this movie did I think. We owe her to keep her grace, loveliness, charity, and above all, her dignity alive. :wink:

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:33 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

As far as I know of, there is no proof that Marie-Antoinette and Fersun were or lovers, or to the contrary. So technically, Coppola simply chose one over the other, not fantasy nor fact.

When it comes down to whether or not you believe M-A and Fersun were lovers it simply comes down to personal opinion and nothing more, as nobody here can know for sure what went on behind closed doors.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For sure ! :? Miss Coppola simply chose a commercial issue, adding a little bit of sex where there should not be... :lol:

And which way ?! With this ridiculous fan that makes me think of some western brothel... and dunst just looks like another calamity jane !

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Therese wrote:

As far as I know of, there is no proof that Marie-Antoinette and Fersun were or lovers, or to the contrary. So technically, Coppola simply chose one over the other, not fantasy nor fact.

When it comes down to whether or not you believe M-A and Fersun were lovers it simply comes down to personal opinion and nothing more, as nobody here can know for sure what went on behind closed doors.

Sorry. If people wish to have an opinion as to whether Count Fersen loved the queen, then certainly that is an open for opinion; there is much evidence of a friendship. There is no evidence that they ever slept together, other than in the minds of pop biographers and film makers who know that sex sells. Even Evelyn Lever admitted in the PBS documentary that there is no solid proof of an affair. When a subject is SO doubtful, then the film maker or biographer should err on the side of discretion, and show the queen as a faithful wife and practicing Catholic, as most of the solid evidence points in that direction.

We have a thread about this already:

http://www.marie-antoinette.org/forum/v ... .php?t=217

It was highly irresponsible of Coppola to show an affair.

Last edited by Therese on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next