Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anyone seen it yet? 
Post Anyone seen it yet?
I'm swamped with work but hope to escape in the next couple of days to see it.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I saw it tonight. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting at all lol.

My REview (Spoilers)

What I liked:
1. They did a good job at exposing how ridiculous the customs of Versailles were.
2. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette showed affection to each other. They showed that he adored her. Personally I just loved that part of it.
3. They showed Marie Antoinette spend time with her kids.
4. They exposed some of the stories about her as lies.
5. They showed how malicious the Gossip was at Versailles.
6. It was intense when they showed what the mob did to her room. It was chilling

What I Didn't like:
1. The Fersen Affair. It just looked dirty and taudry. It was a pointless and senseless part that really didn't even jibe with the rest of the movie. It was irritating.
2. Although Kirsten Dunst did fine she wasn't great. She didn't nail the role so to speak. She was no Norma Shearer. Side note: those dresses made her look so flat chested! It didn't look good!
3. they left out "the Affair of the necklace"
4. The ending was kind of rushed. A bit choppy
5. I didn't like how they did the mob invasion of her apartments. She didn't barely escape and they didn't show what the mob did to her bodyguards. And what was with the meal after the Queen appeard on the balcony? And when they were going to Paris...where was the mob?

Overall:
It was not the awful film I thought it was going to be. I think it put the name Marie Antoinette in more sympathetic light and I think it may make some more people do some research and find out about the REAL Marie Antoinette.
Its still my goal to make the accurate Marie Antoinette film 8)

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks for sharing! "Marie-Antoinette" isn't showing within my zip code (my university town is in a rural and isolated spot of western Pennsylvania) so I'd have go in or near Pittsburgh to see it.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rudy, thanks for the excellent review. I am SO glad to hear it showed affection between the king and the queen. The rest is pretty much as I suspected.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:10 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better knowing it wasn't as bad as was expected.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I hope when you all see it you post your reviews I'd love to see how our views contrast on this!

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:19 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I was unable to go yet, we are trying again Wednesday. I am hoping I will enjoy more than the scenery.

I am going to (OT) rant:
I have never understood why film makers feel they must rewrite history to make a good move, or exciting movie - what could be more exicting then the truth of these people lives?

The last movie made about Queen 'Elizabeth' I of England made me insane I was so angry with it. And even the fictitious 'Memoirs of a Geisha' was so wrong. The hair was wrong, kimono were wrong, even the Geisha's make up was wrong. The director said he made these changes for the 'aesthetics' of the modern audiences. What he meant was he did this to make the women 'sexier' and more appealing to modern eye. As if we are all so jaded and stupid we could enjoy seeing a real Geisha

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:45 pm
Noble
Noble

And even the fictitious 'Memoirs of a Geisha' was so wrong. The hair was wrong, kimono were wrong, even the Geisha's make up was wrong. The director said he made these changes for the 'aesthetics' of the modern audiences. What he meant was he did this to make the women 'sexier' and more appealing to modern eye. As if we are all so jaded and stupid we could enjoy seeing a real Geisha
Nice to see I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have never understood why film makers feel they must rewrite history to make a good move, or exciting movie - what could be more exicting then the truth of these people lives?

I so agree! Especially in the case of Marie Antoinette it seems like these directors under dramatize her life and don't show all of what happened to her.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:44 am
I saw it tonight. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting at all lol.

What I liked:
1. They did a good job at exposing how ridiculous the customs of Versailles were.
2. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette showed affection to each other. They showed that he adored her. Personally I just loved that part of it.
3. They showed Marie Antoinette spend time with her kids.
4. They exposed some of the stories about her as lies.
5. They showed how malicious the Gossip was at Versailles.
6. It was intense when they showed what the mob did to her room. It was chilling

What I Didn't like:
1. The Fersen Affair. It just looked dirty and taudry. It was a pointless and senseless part that really didn't even jibe with the rest of the movie. It was irritating.
2. Although Kirsten Dunst did fine she wasn't great. She didn't nail the role so to speak. She was no Norma Shearer. Side note: those dresses made her look so flat chested! It didn't look good!
3. they left out "the Affair of the necklace"
4. The ending was kind of rushed. A bit choppy
5. I didn't like how they did the mob invasion of her apartments. She didn't barely escape and they didn't show what the mob did to her bodyguards. And what was with the meal after the Queen appeard on the balcony? And when they were going to Paris...where was the mob?

i have to agree with u!!!!! But i would have ended it with her walking up to guillotine!!

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:05 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I saw it today and was completely surprised. I liked it. It wasn't half as bad as I was expecting. It was beautiful, and Kirsten was so much better than I expected. There weren't as many inaccuracies as I thought - I thought almost the whole thing was going to be one wrong thing after another. I must say I would see it again. Although, I may be alone here in liking the modern twist with the music. ;)

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

My friend on livejournal wrote this review:

http://mozartfan1313.livejournal.com/72799.html

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I so agree! Especially in the case of Marie Antoinette it seems like these directors under dramatize her life and don't show all of what happened to her.

I am of the mind that many of us (my self included) have judged this chicken before the egg hatched.

Since I have read more of the favorable reviews I feel I have a better understanding about what the director was trying to do and if one approaches the movie from that POV of course the opinion of it will improve.

My issues are only about those who will see this movie and come away with many wrong ideas about the real Marie Antoinette planted in their heads.

I mentioned the movie "Memories of a Geisha" in an earlier post in this thread. The movie is fine, it is actually very good when one sees it as fiction based on a fictitious book. But then why am I (literally) still explaining to people that Geisha are not and were not high-class call girls?Prostitutes?

Because in this movie (also in the book) we are told the Miko (the apprentice Geisha) sell her virginity to the highest bidder. He becomes her 'don-na" (sp) and then financially takes care of her. Of course in real life there is no such thing.

Viewers of the movie are not told at the closing credits that the author of the book was actually sued by the real Geisha he had interviewed for his book (for breach of contract). Or she went on to write a factual book about Geisha because of him and the movie.
But now we have another generation thinking Geisha are prostitutes because of a novel and a "harmless" movie.

I think I will also like (M.A.) for a pop-corn movie, but I will hate the distortions about the Queen.

This must sound like a lot of nit-picking over 'entertainment', I hope I have not offended anyone.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am of the mind that many of us (my self included) have judged this chicken before the egg hatched.

I saw it twice... and I hated it twice ! :lol:

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:38 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Quote:

I saw it twice... and I hated it twice ! :lol:

(laughing) Not one tiny thing was likable?

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next