Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Anyone seen it yet? 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

oh dang...that was one of my favorite parts of the book....the love story between Axel and Marie. i knew most of it couldn't be true but it was still nice.

i knew who most of the characters were from movie because of the book so that helped.(it helped because my mom asked a lot of questions since there wasn't hardly any dialogue)

i thought all of the music fit perfectly and i just bought the soundtrack and LOVE it! i'm going to buy Antonia Fraser's biography soon because i have so many questions left about her life!

I love the soundtrack too and bought it right after seeing the film.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would recommend Fraser's book over Erickson ANY day, although it is not one of the best biographies....

Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

hahaha I want the soundtrack as well. I really like how they did the music in the movie. I was orginally annoyed by the idea but it grew on me! :lol:

Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I finally saw it. It was worse than I thought it would be. I will have to see it again to look for any redeeming qualities, but for now all that is wrong with it is paramount in my memory.

Alert for those who have not seen the movie this post has 'spoilers" in it.

- it was slow and plodded along. And it was just wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

For such a long movie there was very little dialogue.

When she got to the Border for the handing-over her hair was hanging down, stringy. I cannot image a Royal would arrive looking like an "unmade bed" even if she had traveled for days in a carriage.

It just jumped into things with no logic, like how we were shown time was passing, a birthday party and the death of two children, we see the painting with the infant, and then the painting with the infant daughter removed from it, then a coffin for the son....the Queen cries, boo-hoo and that is that.

The scene with Ferson looks like she picked him up in a bar, there is no reason for this 'affair' to be in the movie at all. it was just to add sex. We all know how modest the Queen was in real life, she never would have acted like that, naked with a garter belt.......

The ending was just stupid......the mob comes to Versailles, the Queen goes to the balcony bows her head..........then we see the King and Queen at the banquet table alone, a servant brings Louis something to drink, and we have the pleaure of watching that for 3 minutes, them just sitting there, blankly.

Finally, it jump to the next scene they are getting into the carriage and leaving versailles....she is looking out the window and Louis say" Are you looking at your lime trees? And she say "I am saying goodbye" That is it, that is the movie............black screen. It shows the royal bedroom messy......and then black screen and credits.

What a waste.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I could not agree with you more, dear melly. What a waste... what a waste of time, a waste of talent (for Sofia is talentuous), a waste of money... when we think of all those so huge means she had ! Shooting in Versailles, inside of the castel, in the little blue theatre, in the helmet, and so on... all these heavenly conditions... to make THIS ? What a waste, indeed...

Moreover, the only "noble" scenes are not accurate. The queen never bowed like that before the crowd. She kept her head up, as usaually, and saluted them with a courtsey.

The queen never said "I'm saying good-bye" while leaving Versailles. Elisabeth said so thinking of her house in Montreuil.

Obviously, her room never was damaged this way. We found no police report about her bed being destroyed and so on.

It is all the same with Antonia put nacked for crossing the border, Louis almost impotent, the gambling, the drinking... thanks for spreading clichés, miss Coppola ! :?

Who said this movie would make a cinematographic revolution ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You know what I didn't understand the whole dinner thing after the mob toawrd the end. but as my friend expalined to me when i saw it again was that its a structual device in the film. It suppose to show how the recent events changes their lives and brought them closer. Because for the first time at the dinner table (unlike every other time they're shown) they hold hands and look at each other...

Pimpernelle, where did you read that her bed was not destroyed? I am fairly confident I've read that it was before....

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Where, dear ? I read it for sure, more than once. I searched for you, and found a note in Bertiere's biography : "they often say that the rioters got in the queen's bedroom and, furious that she was not here any longer, they destoyed her bed with their knives. Madame Campan affirms it isn't true".

Sorry, that's all I have for the moment. But I also read that there was no official report of this destruction.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Not from any offical sources just biographys I think... (now the cats got my tongue lol) I know the A&E Biogrpahy said they shredded her bed to pieces but that makes me believe it was less likely now :lol:

Its quite interesting if the mob hated her so and broke into her room to murder her, why wouldn't the destroy her bed? It seems so odd for them to stop and say "Zut Alors! She is gone!" and then turn around and walk out...don't you think so?

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Precisely ! It is smashing a story... maybe too smashing to be true ! Whenever I find another source about it, I'll put it here.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Very! Well thank you very much! I would greatly apprectiate it!
If the room was destroyed would their be any records of it being fixed?

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:07 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

The queen never said "I'm saying good-bye" while leaving Versailles. Elisabeth said so thinking of her house in Montreuil.

I noticed that. I'm still sad that Elisabeth was completely written out of the film. :(

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:10 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She is in Van Dyke's catastrophe also. And, in my view, Coppola remembered Van Dyke while making her own catastrophe.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5