Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anyone seen it yet? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
I so agree! Especially in the case of Marie Antoinette it seems like these directors under dramatize her life and don't show all of what happened to her.

I am of the mind that many of us (my self included) have judged this chicken before the egg hatched.

Since I have read more of the favorable reviews I feel I have a better understanding about what the director was trying to do and if one approaches the movie from that POV of course the opinion of it will improve.

My issues are only about those who will see this movie and come away with many wrong ideas about the real Marie Antoinette planted in their heads.

I mentioned the movie "Memories of a Geisha" in an earlier post in this thread. The movie is fine, it is actually very good when one sees it as fiction based on a fictitious book. But then why am I (literally) still explaining to people that Geisha are not and were not high-class call girls?Prostitutes?

Because in this movie (also in the book) we are told the Miko (the apprentice Geisha) sell her virginity to the highest bidder. He becomes her 'don-na" (sp) and then financially takes care of her. Of course in real life there is no such thing.

Viewers of the movie are not told at the closing credits that the author of the book was actually sued by the real Geisha he had interviewed for his book (for breach of contract). Or she went on to write a factual book about Geisha because of him and the movie.
But now we have another generation thinking Geisha are prostitutes because of a novel and a "harmless" movie.

I think I will also like (M.A.) for a pop-corn movie, but I will hate the distortions about the Queen.

This must sound like a lot of nit-picking over 'entertainment', I hope I have not offended anyone.

That is pretty much the way that I see it, melly. I am glad that people are enjoying it and it is fuelling their interest in the queen. But then I always have to explain that historians are not positive whether or not she ever rolled around in the meadow with Count Fersen.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For the rest also, Therese. There is no psychological nor spiritual dimension in this script ! Coppla's MA is just another college girl having parties with her friends. That is not that good for the image of Marie-Antoinette.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I trust your opinion, Pim, since you did see the film two or three times.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But then I always have to explain that historians are not positive whether or not she ever rolled around in the meadow with Count Fersen.

That would've attracted a buzz, to say the least, if she were seen doing that!

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Actually, it is very important, on the contrary. Marie-Antoinette has been calomniated so many times. They said her children were not Louis'. To show her rolling in the grass with the next guy is a terrible accusation, in this view. Coppola did just the same as the pamphleteers of the revolution, as Provence... And I find this a total lack of respect !

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree, but we must not blame Coppola but Lady Fraser, who encouraged Sofia to show a love affair in the film. Fraser responded, when asked by Sofia, that she "hoped" the queen did have an affair. Coppola would not have shown it if Fraser had advised her not to do so.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ok, but, when you are director, you have to know about the power of images. It's not the same as a book. In her book, Antonia Fraser asks the question, she wonders, she analyses. Coppola just shoots. And we have this shallow girl waiting for this light man in this saloon that looks like a "années folles" brothel.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That is a good point, Pim. Coppola did not have to make it so sordid.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It really was a questionable thing to film. and why does Fraser wish Marie Antoinette had affair? Is happiness found only in sex? :roll:

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, darling, to some people, yes. Very sad, because they miss the whole point of her life and her commitment to her husband, her faith, and to being queen.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:22 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Actually, it is very important, on the contrary. Marie-Antoinette has been calomniated so many times. They said her children were not Louis'. To show her rolling in the grass with the next guy is a terrible accusation, in this view. Coppola did just the same as the pamphleteers of the revolution, as Provence... And I find this a total lack of respect !

....and I agree 100% because this is what will stick in the minds of the people who learn their history from Hollywood.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:26 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I agree with you all on her portrayal of the Fersen affair.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:42 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I too felt that way about the Fersen affair. I felt it was unnecessary and for me marred what was actually an enjoyable film.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, darling, to some people, yes. Very sad, because they miss the whole point of her life and her commitment to her husband, her faith, and to being queen.

Yes they ignore he greatness. Its quite annoying to me that they can't believe she found happines with her children, Louis XVI or even Trianon. Louis was such a devoted husband/father. Even the actor who played him in the film said that he thinks louis and antoinette "ached" for each other.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next