Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anyone seen it yet? 
Post I love Sofia Coppolas movie
I have seen the movie and I like it. I didn´t expect any thing about the movie. I have read that this is not historical currect (by Coppola) and this is her version and how she look at Marie Antoinette.
I find the Axel von Fersen scens funny, becose we don´t know that happend. Some said that something did happend and some said that nothing happend. I find it sweet. I know this is not historical currect, but if Marie Antoinette hade a lover, Axel von Fersen is the one how are most likley.
The movie is udd, no questens about that and it show how borrowing courtlife is. Maby the movies plot is to show how borrowing courtlife is.
I think this movie is about life, how strange life is. The movie remind me off the musical Rent, that have no begining and no end. Sofia Coppola is traying to tell a diffrent story about Marie Antoinette, the untold story. I some way she do a good work, in some ways she did not.
I think the movie is sweet. I see that Sofia i trying to tell something behind the myth off the queen, that she was a human, a teenage how was in the wrong age and in the wrong time.
The problem is that she have taking essy on that we know. The fa :lol: mily and so on.
I understand way many do not like this movie. This is not a normal historical movie. I should say that this is not a historical movie, I don´t know that this is a typ off movie. But I like the way she tray to say about MA, that she was a sweet women, how was a human, and did some wrong things, but she have a good heart. I love this scens at Hameau. Then she is walking in the garden with Marie Therese.
I find the mix off 80´s music and classic music intressting, a new kind a mix.
There is many problems with the movie to, it is to long, some fotos behinde the scens are not importen. I think the movie should have been better if they hade cut the movie done a bit.
I´m very please with the cast, I think the did a wonderful jobb. Kirsten Dunst did a good work, it not easy to do a movie about a famus queen how everybody have a pitucre off.
I think this is a kind off movie how you have to se two or three to understand.
This is a movie, you hate or love. And I should hate this movie, if I didn´t know that this movie is not historical currect, this movie is not about the revolution and this movie is not about the myth off a queen.
This movie, is about a lost girl in a very big castle in a forgien country.
How lived in the wrong age and in the wrong time.
I think the dresses was wonderful. But this is not the beast movie in the world, but it´s a very good movie, in it´s own way.

Karin :)

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:13 am
Post 2006 marie antoinette by sofia coppola
:) i liked it - but i need to know the exact rousseau quote kirsten uttered in the film-- can anyone help me find out?pleeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:00 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

"S"ils n'ont pas de pain, qu'ils mangent de la brioche." Marie-Antoinette never ever said that !

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:17 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

i liked it - but i need to know the exact rousseau quote kirsten uttered in the film-- can anyone help me find out?pleeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee

Do you mean when she was reading out of Rousseau's book in the field?

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

http://maroon.uchicago.edu/online_edition/?p=1418

Here is a thoughtful review. I am glad that Louis and Antoinette were shown growing in affection to each other.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:49 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I quite liked that review. (I agree so much about abou the relationship between the King and Queen) I want to go see the film again...I need to take more mental notes.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:03 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I went to see the film this week. Have to say I was looking forward to watching it from the moment I heard it was in production. I really enjoyed it.

Versailles was as stunning as ever. Where will you find a more beautiful setting for a movie? This film is certainly a feast for the eyes. I thought Dunst was her usuasl sweet self. She did a good rather then a great job protraying Maire Antointte. I think Le Reine was presented as a woman who loved her husband, children and her friends. Is was hard not to like this film.

I thought it could have been better thought. There was a real lack of dialogue throughtout. Coppola wrote the script herself, but she might have been better off hiring come one with more insight into the subject matter. The Fersen affair was distasteful and out of sorts with the rest of the film. I thought to myself, why was it in there at all? The script lacked depth in ignoring the wider social upheaval outside the gates of Versailles. Closer attention to the accents of the characters would have given it more authorthy. Finally, the ending was too abrupt and premature.

Dispite all these faults, I still enjoyed this film. Coppola has made a film which is a delight to watch. She should be praised for making a film about MA. I agree with many of you here who have been critical of this film, but I did enjoy the experience of seeing Le Reine on the big screen. I am sure this movie will encourage many people to look more closely at the life at MA.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Is was hard not to like this film

Sorry, but I did not like it at all. I saw it twice, and really didn't.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:23 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I perfecty understand Pimprenelle that this film is not to everyone's taste. As I pointed out it is not without its faults. I suppose I was fearing the worse after some of the reports I read. Then when I saw it I thought it was quite good.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, I'll have the DVD and try once more ! :lol:

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:18 pm
Post Beautiful scenic views!
:D I adored the movie because of the cinematography if nothing else. As it was totally Sofia's intent to amuse, it succeeded in that. The entire character of Marie Antoinette is a lot like eating cotton candy: spun sugar, filled with nothing but air! Thus, I enjoyed it!

I loved the country scenes as they brought back memories of my own childhood since the lamb was my favorite toy then, and as I had raised chickens myself, and collected eggs, the hard way, with the hen sitting on top of the eggs, I loved the nostalgia. Very beautiful and touching to see.

Yes, I recommend it highly! The scenes of the Chateau are worth it all!

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:58 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

i too enjoyed it very much but ONLY because i viewed it as a modern american caricature of MA and nothing more. there were historically inaccuracies and some terrible liberties taken BUT if it inspires someone somewhere to read more about MA and become interested in her, then only good can come of it.

for example, a lot of my fellow countrymen took great insult at the film braveheart (myself included) but i know many who decided to find out about william wallace and educate themselves so again, film making can do some good.

the film is beautiful though, the costumes, sets etc. i actually took great delight in seeing so many lovely pastel colours used eg duck egg blue and gorgeous floral prints. the cakes were a bit much though! MA wasn't a big eater anyway was she? so why would she be surrounded by such huge amounts of ridiculously over the top confections? it was risible!

i wish the actors had been steered away from using american accents, this made it less believable. when in doubt, neutral english accents should be used. if they attempted french accents, it would have been worse. anyone who isn't a native french speaker can't even begin to attempt to convey the subtlety and beauty of the french language. believe me, i've tried throughout school etc. :wink:

anyway this is just my humble opinion, i will certainly buy the dvd when it comes out as it is such sumptuous viewing. i just wish other films about MA were available to buy eg l'autrichienne and others.

:D

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I began reading about William Wallace because of the movie and now he is one of my favorite heroes. Of course, I was aware even while watching it of many gross innacuracies, such as the affair with the Princess of Wales - so ridiculous.....

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:07 am
Post saw it this evening
I finally saw it this evening. It was very Copolla, so to speak, it was a very quiet film. I liked it and I felt it was a pretty fair view of her, but they ended the movie in the middle of the story! I wondered why it took so long through the early years. I was thinking -- this is going to be a six hour movie! First it was too long and drawn out and then rushed to the point that the deaths of baby Sophie and the Louis Joseph became the same event! As great a job as Copolla did making us feel for Marie Antoinette, I was looking forward to a tear jerker, rather than cutting the film off at a random point. I had high expectations (I know many of you had low), so I was disappointed, but it was still a good film.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next