Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anyone seen it yet? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The point is that it was not a movie about Marie-Antoinette's life. It was the last part of Sofia Coppola's trilogy about teens girls lost somewhere. That's why her MA does not grow up, does not evoluate, remains a teen from the beginning to the end.

That's also why the movie does not show the revolution and Marie-Antoinette's imprisonment and terrible fate. Miss Coppola was not interested in these events, for they are not about teens.

Finally, that's why this movie may seem boring, at least to some spectators. It is about boredom. Even if Marie-Antoinette was only bored while in representation in the Court, and was always happy and full of energy in Trianon, Sofia does not care. She is, once more, shooting existential boredom of teens.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/s ... -for-no-1/

I doubt that I'll get to see it; they say it is dying fast. But I am glad that some of our members have found it enjoyable!

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:57 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Pity Therese that you will not get to see, I was looking forward to your veiws on the film. Sure you might catch it on DVD and share your thoughts with us then!

I am glad too that other people have enjoyed it. It would have been very sad if everyone hated what they saw.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks, Thomas! I will definitely see the DVD. I am deeply disappointed that this movie is not of the sort to have wider appeal, because a really successful, well-done film could do a great deal to rectify the reputations of the king and queen.

Last edited by Therese on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:36 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I couldn't agree more. I do hope though that at the very least it will encourage more people to seek out and explore the true Maire Antonette. As Brigette says earlier, one leaves after the film feeling like one has only been told half the story.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:59 pm
Pimprenelle, that's very astute of you. I study films and had not thought of that. Copolla certainly has a tendency to make quiet films where the greatest tragedy is an event of daily life, like realizing your husband uses hair products! (Lost in Translation)

She has the ability to make everyday experiences touching, but can't seem to film a climax. What I saw was good, but I really still feel robbed. It was like she ran out of film or something! Thanks for the point of view, Pimprenelle.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is a shame, because it is a lost opportunity to really teach people about an incredible moment of history and some of the amazing characters involved, by bringing the past to life....but it just did not happen....

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Is the movie really Dying? I thought it was doing well for only being in 800+ Theatres. All the other films that beat it on its first week were near the 2,000 Theatres.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't know. That's what the one article said. But maybe it will rally....

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:42 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yes, I began reading about William Wallace because of the movie and now he is one of my favorite heroes. Of course, I was aware even while watching it of many gross innacuracies, such as the affair with the Princess of Wales - so ridiculous.....

even WORSE was the bit at the end with her telling the dying edward longshanks that the next heir to the throne was wallace's child!

aaaaargh! :x

so i guess that coppola's film getting a few things wrong should be no big surprise then! :roll:

Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:43 am
Noble
Noble

i thought this movie was beautiful and usually i don't care about that in a film.

the beginning of the movie was the best part and the most historically accurate. i have only read a fictional novel about her(hidden diary by carolly erickson),so i only knew about marie that way. in that book it showed her as a woman who cared about louis and her children deeply but who also wanted love(with axel and he seemed like a great man) they portrayed axel as just some fling.

most of the ppl in the theater the day i went seemed to be actual fans of marie antoinette so knew her story already...that made me feel a lot better because they knew the real story :)

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed the movie! I hate to tell you this but Erickson's "Hidden Diary" is so highly fictionalized that it can not be used to determine the accuracy of any other book or film about Marie-Antoinette. It uses her name; that is all. The parts about Fersen are especially out of Erickson's own imagination.....

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:41 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Therese wrote:
Yes, I began reading about William Wallace because of the movie and now he is one of my favorite heroes. Of course, I was aware even while watching it of many gross innacuracies, such as the affair with the Princess of Wales - so ridiculous.....

even WORSE was the bit at the end with her telling the dying edward longshanks that the next heir to the throne was wallace's child!

aaaaargh! :x

so i guess that coppola's film getting a few things wrong should be no big surprise then! :roll:

I know what you mean. I caught the end of Braveheart recently and I thought "Oh give me a break!" during that sequence. I share your sentiments completely about that scene.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:41 am
Noble
Noble

oh dang...that was one of my favorite parts of the book....the love story between Axel and Marie. i knew most of it couldn't be true but it was still nice.

i knew who most of the characters were from movie because of the book so that helped.(it helped because my mom asked a lot of questions since there wasn't hardly any dialogue)

i thought all of the music fit perfectly and i just bought the soundtrack and LOVE it! i'm going to buy Antonia Fraser's biography soon because i have so many questions left about her life!

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next