Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Irritating 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Irritating
Hm, I heard that the French were fond of the new, young and pretty Dauphine.
I thought that the Nobility in Versailles were rather irritated with her and taunted her, of course behind her back.

The reason seems to be that she was Austrian but I learned that Maria Theresia saw Antonia as rather unimportant so she wasn't prepared to marry a Prince and to be a Queen.
But Antoinette wasn't stupid and enjoyed of course a good education, just not good enough for the French court. :angryfire:

She was lonely in Versailles filled with strange, shallow people, and so she tried to enjoy her life to the fullest.

The discontent of the French grew because of the Royalty's inability to rule the country.
Antoinette threw a lot of money down the drain, of course not enough to be the only responsible one but enough to fill the anger of the people.
You know in every Society there is a press who exaggerate stories and circulate lies.

I don't see Robespierre as a villain.( don't forget, he was also beheaded) He saw what became of France. And it was the Crowns fault.
It was a big mistake to let children rule a country, encircled by greedy advisers.

Louis had his chance of a parliamentary monarchy but he didn't want it. He intrigued against the third class and the royal family lost every favor after the attempt to escape.

But I still think that the beheading was unjustified, especially of Antoinette. She didn't rule but she also didn't really care.
She is just a tragic historical Figure thrown into the lions-den when she was still a child, totally unprepared to be a queen. :(

Oh, and everybody says that nobody knows if she had an affair with Fersen because of her documented hatred and disgust of Madame Dubarry and her prostitution to the king.

Well, she was raised to be docile, as a 14-year-old girl her whole world view crumbled. She would be of course disgusted with this relationship.

But to think that this is a reason that she never had an affair with Fersen is unjustified.
She was imprisoned in a love-less marriage to a little boy who was more interested in keys and locks. She became a woman with the same cravings like everybody else.
I wouldn't condemn her if she had a physical relationship with Fersen.

I have the suspicion that they had such a relationship because he risked his live to get her out of France. You do a lot for people when you have an intimate relationship with them. If there never was anything then why didn't he move on. He even fought in the French-american war on the French side.

I don't think anybody would do that in an platonic relationship.(child-parent relationship excluded).
Some like to think that people at that time were more classy and romantic. Like a normal man would risk and throw away his life for a handshake of the woman he adores. Maybe for a short amount of time but not his whole life.

You can fall in love but to keep this love alive for such a long period of time, one requirement is to be intimate.

(english is not my mother-language, sorry if you feel irritated while reading)

Mon May 30, 2011 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4