Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Sofia says - "Because I could!"
................. One journalist at the roundtables was so irked by (seeing tennis shoes in the movie) on this that she decided to interrogate Sofia Coppola on that and other other points of historical inaccuracy, down to and including Antoinette's panties. Coppola wasn't easily rattled, however. She displayed a relaxed-but-unshakable manner and patiently addressed the charges one by one. The next day at the press conference, however, Coppola was again asked why she decided to include the sneakers. This time she immediately spit back "Because I could."

See entire story - http://www.cinematical.com/2006/10/20/j ... ntoinette/

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:35 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

"Yes, "because I could", definitely ! Because I am an Hollywood pampered girl, considered a genius even before I did my first shot ! I can, thus, I can shoot whatever I want... and portray the way I want this queen. After all, she's dead for so much time that she definitely is of public use !"

Did she reply this ?

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:10 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

"Yes, "because I could", definitely ! Because I am an Hollywood pampered girl, considered a genius even before I did my first shot ! I can, thus, I can shoot whatever I want... and portray the way I want this queen. After all, she's dead for so much time that she definitely is of public use !"

Did she reply this ?

The article does not say what happened then- it goes on to cover the next interview where Sofia shows how careless with history she was........she Dunst in modern panties (because we weren't suppose to notice them)!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Dunst with modern panties ? I did not notice them, indeed... or was it this scene ? I had the impression that Dunst had a bikini white spot under her long shirt, you know ? Maybe that was the panties scene ?

Months ago, I read something that really disappointed me. Coppola Jr was supposed to make a movie for she was sympathetic to Marie-Antoinette. At least, that's what she said... Then, when the film appeared not to succeed that much in France, miss Coppola replied that, actually, a friend of his father told her that "yes, he had a good subject for a new movie"... and this was the genesis of MA.

Money money money..............

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:39 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Dunst with modern panties ? I did not notice them, indeed... or was it this scene ? I had the impression that Dunst had a bikini white spot under her long shirt, you know ? Maybe that was the panties scene ?

Months ago, I read something that really disappointed me. Coppola Jr was supposed to make a movie for she was sympathetic to Marie-Antoinette. At least, that's what she said... Then, when the film appeared not to succeed that much in France, miss Coppola replied that, actually, a friend of his father told her that "yes, he had a good subject for a new movie"... and this was the genesis of MA.

I (still) have not seen the movie,.

(the interview is on the link) I think they said KDunst did not want to be naked under the see through dress/nightgown - which is ridiculous since that Kdunst was NAKED in the handing over scene.

I think Sofia foolishly or simply had no idea people were really going to pick the movie apart as much as they did, or miss what ever point she thought she was making about bored teenagers with too much money and used the Queen as her model. hopefully she will learn from this experience.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Now, I see. This definitely is this scene I was talking about. Well... it is, indeed, a cinematographic huge mistake too, for it was striking, this white strip was striking under the night shirt. This would never happen in XVIIIth century, since women wore no panties...

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Pimprenelle wrote:

I (still) have not seen the movie,.

(the interview is on the link) I think they said KDunst did not want to be naked under the see through dress/nightgown - which is ridiculous since that Kdunst was NAKED in the handing over scene.

I think Sofia foolishly or simply had no idea people were really going to pick the movie apart as much as they did, or miss what ever point she thought she was making about bored teenagers with too much money and used the Queen as her model. hopefully she will learn from this experience.

Yes, I think Coppola had no concept how many people are devoted to the truth about Marie-Antoinette and are well-informed about her!!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

A review by a monarchist, with very interesting reflections. I don't agree with some of the comments about Louis.

http://www.angelfire.com/in3/theodore/o ... nette.html

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That was a very interesting review, thank you Therese!

What did you disagree with in his comments about Louis?

I couldn't help but chuckle when he said that most of MA's admirers are likely to be Orthodox Catholics :lol:

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:49 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, Therese for the interesting review.
I disagree on one point of it. I do not believe that if Marie Antoinette would have been living in present time, she would have listened to those low-sounding, stupid and commercialized pop songs that are in the soundtrack. Never!!! Her taste with a level of her professionalism of music is something else. She would never had been fascinated or entertained with such elementary pieces of just a few chords, chorus and three minutes-hit over- pieces! Musicians do laugh about them and how calculated theose pieces are made, not be "affected" by them. Not my Reine, not my Marie Antoinette in my head, (I am quoting here our Pimprenelle's wonderful post, when she so great expressed her thoughts.)

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You are right, Aurora ! Antoinette would never listen to those stupid songs ! She would not be so eighties fashion. She would long for more universal music...

Wouldn't she listen to Michael Nyman ? :wink:

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree, Aurora, she would never listen to that stuff, no matter what era she lived in.

Rudy, I just did not like it when he said that Louis was weak. He had weaknesses but he was not a weak man.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Odd, this movie isn't playing around where I am (western Pennsylvania at the moment). I've also tried my home zip code and Washington, DC--nothing!

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:35 pm
I'm new to this forum today and thought I'd chime in on the movie since it did inspire to do my own research on Marie Antoinette which led me here :)

Like others have said, I thought it was a beautiful movie to watch. I loved the gowns, the furnishings, and the countryside. The horses were magnificent.

I'm not sure what Coppola's motivation was, but I couldn't accept the lack of accent from Dunst and Schwartzman. Maybe some would say no accent is better than a failed attempt, but I found it jarring each time they spoke. They sounded even more American to me in this movie than they normally do.

I think they could have done a better job with the supporting characters. For someone like myself who came into the movie unversed in the history, it was impossible to figure out who was who.

Even though I wasn't overly impressed with the movie, I can see myself watching it again after I've done a little more research and have better acquainted myself with Marie Antoinette.

Angie

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next