Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes indeed... but it looks like an excuse that Coppola is given to justify the errors. The problem is the ambigüity which that generates... some people believe discover the realMarie-Antoinette, whereas it is not the case... :?

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

What I don't understand is how anyone on earth can hope to know some on who has been dead since 1793. None of us will never know what she was like. We all have to interpret her story in our own way

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes you are right, each one has an image of Marie-Antoinette.
But the historians could establish by means of real sources a base on this Queen. We have precise documents attesting certain things: letters, testimonys.... Coppola has too neglected it I think...
For example we are sure that Marie-Antoinette never completely stripped herself when she arrived in France, we are sure that she never drank alcohol, we are sure that Du Barry was an intelligent and gracious woman, not a coarse woman etc...
Of course in a film there are inevitably interpretations, but Coppola made some too much, and she did coarse interpretations... But... I will buy the DVD nevertheless! :D

But I recognize that the play of Dunst is interesting! :wink:

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But I recognize that the play of Dunst is interesting!

Do you ? I think she was terrible, poor girl... Well, first of all, she does not look like Marie Antoinette at all, she is far too thin, to begin with ! Then, the film should require two actresses, a little girl for Antonia and her first years in Versailles and a grown woman for Marie Antoinette. They did so in Caroline Huppert's movie as well as in the series with Genevieve Casile. On the other hand, here, Coppola chose to use her favorite actress all the time. That's why Dunst makes ridiculous faces for trying to look like a little girl. Later, she would not be mature enough for portraying the majestuous queen.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol: J'adore ta franchise! Si elle te lisait!!!! :lol:

It is true that 2 actresses would have had to be taken, but Dunst has certain qualities I find: she has a sublimates laughter ... the scenes where she plays and smile with her children are very well I think. She has the naive and spontaneous aspects which Marie-Antoinette had. She also plays very well the mocker, which is faithful to Marie-Antoinette.
But indeed she does not resemble to her... :?

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't hate Kirsten Dunst ! :lol: I think she made a wonderful job in "VS". But, precisely, she plays Marie Antoinette as she played Lux Lisbon, and that's wrong, isn't it ? Even the way she laughs does not illustrate the XVIIIth century Versaillese little moqueuse. She plays like an nowadays American next door girl.

I guess it's not her faut. She was wrongly directed.

http://www.lemague.net/dyn/article.php3?id_article=2145

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol: Ah I see that you are in total agreement with this article :lol: Nice picture :lol:
You say that you do not hate her but I finally smell a very small point of animosity against her play in the film :wink:

I understand that Dunst was not ideal... but honestly I expected worse... She does not have dignity and the majesty of Marie-Antoinette it is true... but... she has a particular charm which allows me to find her interesting in certain scenes ...The scenes with the children mainly :D

But I agree she's not an Ute Lemper it's clearly :lol:

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't hate Kirsten Dunst ! :lol: I think she made a wonderful job in "VS". But, precisely, she plays Marie Antoinette as she played Lux Lisbon, and that's wrong, isn't it ? Even the way she laughs does not illustrate the XVIIIth century Versaillese little moqueuse. She plays like an nowadays American next door girl.

I guess it's not her faut. She was wrongly directed.

http://www.lemague.net/dyn/article.php3?id_article=2145

D'accord.

C'est un article excellent. Merci!

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What I don't understand is how anyone on earth can hope to know some on who has been dead since 1793. None of us will never know what she was like. We all have to interpret her story in our own way

Madame la Dauphine, with such a philosophy there would no historical research at all. There is much we can know about people who lived two hundred or five hundred or even a thousand years ago by careful study of existing data and sifting the evidence.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And I think it is our responsability to learn from the past. That can be achieved by studying the lives of historical persons.
To understand present we must know where are we coming from.
Please "never take things for granted anything, you can be deceived." Always do your own conclusions to form your own opinions. 8)

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ladies, it's wonderful reading you ! Je vous adore ! :D

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:03 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

:lol: even after seeing this image in the trash,i'm not changing my avatar!!! i agree with 2 different actresses~scarlett johanssen would have been a good option as well,but really their aren't very many fair actresses in hollywood these days,mostly darker beauties~and sophia coppola wanted an american actress,she puts dunst in her movies,so there you go! she wasn't bad in the movie...consider the script!

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

They did not put YOU in the garbage, lililane-delphine ! They put the whole movie...

Why did Sofia choose a famous actress ? She could organize a casting, and discover a real Marie Antoinette !

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Do not change your avatar lilliane-Delphine! It is pretty!
However when I look at it I see Dunst and not Marie-Antoinette: 2 really different people! :wink:

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

:lol: Ah I see that you are in total agreement with this article :lol: Nice picture :lol:
You say that you do not hate her but I finally smell a very small point of animosity against her play in the film :wink:

I understand that Dunst was not ideal... but honestly I expected worse... She does not have dignity and the majesty of Marie-Antoinette it is true... but... she has a particular charm which allows me to find her interesting in certain scenes ...The scenes with the children mainly :D

But I agree she's not an Ute Lemper it's clearly :lol:

I agree with you, I expected worse.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next