Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I find the repartee in French utterly delightful!!

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 pm
Noble
Noble

Well, in my opinion the film is a magnificent visual treat, and it doesn´t pretend otherwise. It was never supposed to be altogether accurate in terms of history. And leaving aside it flaws on that respect, i think it brings to life the teenager queen as i have never seen in any other film before. They use to put 30ish actresses on the queen´s role, and same to the rest of the characters. So in this movie we can at least see people as Polignac, Lamballe or Artois played by actors who are more or less the same age as the actual persons were at the time the film portrays.

So, as a whole, i loved the film (and the music!)

Antonio.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:29 pm
Noble
Noble

I finally got to see the movie yesterday! I haven't been the movies for ages, as we have a 18 month old little boy. I saw a couple of movies with him when he was young (they do a mothers and babies session at the movies once a week), but once he started walking - forget it, it would be a nightmare! My husband hadn't seen a movie since before he was born! We left him with the grandparents and he had fun playing with his twin cousins.

I enjoyed the movie. As some one above said it was a "visual treat". I haven't read all that much about MA as yet, so historical inaccuracies didn't bother me, and in fact they generally don't bother me in movies at all. A movie can't tell a whole story, it has to focus on certain things, or choose to portray someone in a particular way and stick to it.

Some of the scenes where just gorgeous! My favourite was the coronation of Louis. It was painting come to life! The lighting through the window was like the anointing from God.

Hairstyles - yes we know that they were extravagent at times, and I cannot comment about how accurate or inaccurate they were at times (I have "Queen of Fashion" to read yet), but one thing came to mind. If you had a big high hairstyle, I think you would still move with grace, and not move about to quickly or run, because your hair wobbles all about and looks ridiculous! I don't mean to say that they didn't laugh have fun and enjoy themselves, especially for a queen or lady of rank, I think that they would still be quite aware of their appearance, hair, clothes and their movement.

My husband did have some questions after the movie, to fill in the gaps on some things he wasn't sure of. I probably elaborated a bit to much and he probably won't ask me about MA ever again! :lol:

Reading is my escape!
http://www.readingandbeading.blogspot.com

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:wink:

I'm sorry if I wrote in French, but some times I want to be so precise that I can do it only in my langage...if not I badly express myself ... :oops:

No need to say sorry! I love it! I only wish i could've contributed in French. My French is VERY rusty :wink:

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:39 am
Noble
Noble

Even though most historians bashed it, I loved that it was shot at Versailles and I think Kirsten Dunst was an excellent choice.

Although it only shows her life up to leaving Versailles, it was an excellent "impression of her" as Sofia Coppola put it. The historian in all of us about this subject wants to point out inaccuracies, but I say sit back and enjoy the idea of seeing her in action. The masses couldn't appreciate it as we would if it was filled with facts. Coppola was faced with making a movie that would appeal to a broader demographic.

I think it was a great movie. Don't get me wrong if you aren't a fan of the history and a male who doesn't like history, it might seem like a "chick flick". But if you love the story you will be fulfilled by this look at, in my opinion, history's most incredible drama.

P.S. For those who say the true story is where the movie leaves off... Maybe this movie will cause people to search for the rest of her story.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

it was an excellent "impression of her" as Sofia Coppola put it.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that...The Marie-Antoinette of Coppola is not the real Marie-Antoinette Queen of France!

Marie-Antoinette was not also frivolous, she never drank alcohol, she did not eat much, she did not like the sex like that, she did not have such relations with fersen etc....and I summarise
Coppola invented a Marie-Antoinette... read books about the real marie-Antoinette you will see :?

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

True story about Marie Antoinette don't start where this Coppola movie ends. It has little to do with this movie altogether, only has the same name letters.
Marie Antoinette was not a Barbie doll wearing a historic-inspired american design costume or filming Also this movie in Some parts of the palace doesn't make it anymore true or special.
The real life of La Reine was full of tragic, but also with noble grace and kindeness, art and intelligence.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Although it only shows her life up to leaving Versailles, it was an excellent "impression of her" as Sofia Coppola put it. The historian in all of us about this subject wants to point out inaccuracies, but I say sit back and enjoy the idea of seeing her in action.

Oh oh ?

ImageImageImageImage

Count me among those historians, then ! For I was not expecting a Barbie girl nor a girl next door with nasty habits.

I was refering to this lady:

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:47 am
Noble
Noble

I understand what you mean. I am very familiar with what the most authoritative historians say about her, especially with the drinking and sex. I agree that this is an inaccurate portrayal of a woman who I believe was a devout catholic who had a reputation of purity among her court and even bathed in a gown.

That being said I enjoyed that Coppola showed her as a kind human and not this perverted and decadent "Nero" figure as she is usually portrayed as. The Hollywood side that Coppola would predictably take, is something that I guess I have grown accustom to ignoring. I still feel you can enjoy the film if you let go of that and as I said before “enjoy seeing her in action.” I enjoyed seeing an actor play her in the same setting as the real MA once was. I loved seeing them married in the same Chapel, etc... That is why the film was a joy for me.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I still feel you can enjoy the film if you let go of that and as I said before “enjoy seeing her in action.” I enjoyed seeing an actor play her in the same setting as the real MA once was.

Unfortunately, this actress looks at you with this pervert little glance... you know... ? just as if she was ready to eat you up, man...

You got something wrong, Mike. Marie Antoinette was no saint either ! Have you read her correspondance ? There you can find her...

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:10 am
Noble
Noble

Ok, now I must ask: is it the inaccuracies in this film that you hate and felt lead to criticize? Or is it your egos that crave to be recognized as Marie Antoinette historians? By criticizing a film or book you might just be flexing you intellectual muscles to the rest of the world. Any thoughts?

I assure you no disrespect is intended, just an interesting conversation piece I would love to hear replies to.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No Mike.D, but Coppola wanted to speak about a Queen of France, the real, who really existed...so Coppola was to respect her person and to respect the French history...
When we make a film about a historical character, the facts should be respected.... :?

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am no historian. And I am fond of movies, any kind of movies... I love Roman Polansky, David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, François Ozon, Stephen Frears... for instance ! And I really enjoyed "Virgins Suicide".

However, I hated miss Coppola's "MA". I hated this film, for it is deeply irrespectful to Marie Antoinette. I explained my feelings on this board already, so, I'll do it briefly.

Sofia Coppola has no interest at all in Marie Antoinette. She just wanted a good matter. She fell upon Marie Antoinette, and used this character for showing, once again, her own obsessions : teenage girls' terrible problems, you know... :roll: How to deal with your virginity... :roll:

Under the cover of Marie Antoinette's name, miss Coppola portrays herself and her dear friends in Hollywood Barbie rose wonderland. Parties and parties and pastries and pastries again... And, for she just loved it when she was a girl, she pasted eighties music upon it all.

The whole concept could be interesting... perhaps ? Should she not take an actual character, should she imagine some fragile typically American girl lost in Versailles... why not ?

Unfortunately, she chose to entitle this movie about her and her best friends dressed up for the next halloween party "Marie Antoinette". It is a commercial lie. And I did not get my money back !

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:56 am
Noble
Noble

Well put. I never thought of it that way. That was a very insightful reply, wich I greatly appreciate. I enjoyed the movie as you well know, but never concieved that perception. I also love 80's music that reminds me of my own childhood and must admit it endeared parts of the movie to me.

Knowing Coppola's childhood, I'm sure you have a plausable analyzation of her. Obviously you are well versed in Coppola's films. I myself have never seen"Virgin Suicides" and only saw "Lost in Translation" a year ago. I hated it. I am enjoying these discussion.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next