Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette 
Post Marie Antoinette the movie
I recently saw this and I was highly disappointed as well. It didnt give much information about the history of her life. The wardrobe and location shots were beautiful but that's not what I really wanted to see. I didn't like the end, it was fast and rushed. I didnt like how they showed the General se slept with and nothing was ever said again about him. Also not much was really said about Louis. I know it was a movie about her but he was her HUSBAND. I really thought it would have been like an autobiography type movie. They showed more interest in the clothing and set location.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

^ very intertesting reviews the both of ya! :wink:

Personally concering the music I don't think its that hard to believe MA would possibly like the songs had she been an 80's child. She'd be in a different era. Probly wouldn't even be royalty. She;d be an average girl who goes to school and listens to the radio. She'd probly still have her same love for music and the Theatre and I could imagine her persuing a career. To me MA has always come off as a natural rebel and I see her going along with Female Music Scene. The women who stand for Something. Janis Joplin. Madonna, Pat Benater, Blondie, Joni Mitchell etc I think she would like their stuff.
I don't know thats what I think :P

Therese, I completly agree! (about Louis of Corse)

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:31 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

^ very intertesting reviews the both of ya! :wink:

Personally concering the music I don't think its that hard to believe MA would possibly like the songs had she been an 80's child. She'd be in a different era. )

I agree she would have been a product of her environment, just as we all are, and if she had lived today as a young royal, she would be in the club, down town with her friends and body guards, just as the young William and Harry or the Grandchildren of Grace of Monaco do .

But "my" Queen (bowing to Pimpernella) would have walked out of this movie......... :wink:

So many things in the movie were just wrong, they had her drinking champagne or wine, there is one scene were it looks as if the Queen had a hangover.........ridiculous!

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

An interesting article. Seems the movie don't do fine in Canada...
http://www.lavantage.qc.ca/?nav=article&id=1144416505

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:16 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It should be believed that as a whole we think all the same thing or almost of this film :lol:

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

From surfing, the general opinion I get is that American, Canadian, German public is more severe than we French or Belgian were. I may be wrong, but, at least, it sounds so...

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

May be... but it's as necessary to acknowledge that this film is appeared in first in France and Belgium, the journalists have to keep a little reserve...
But our opinion as impassioned of Marie-Antoinette seems similar :D

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have two opinions in my review:

1. Sofia Coppola is not an Artist, she can't speak through pictures, drama lines or emotions

2. The soundtrack was unforgivingly poor, not reflecting anything with the pictures shown , poor music, badly played (especially the piano parts and those two mandolin-sound early guitars).

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sofia Coppola is not an Artist, she can't speak through pictures, drama lines or emotions

This is quite severe ! I agree with you, of course, dear. However, people who enjoyed the movie but feel that it is not perfect often rely on this : they say that Sofia Coppola is very gifted for speaking through pictures.

I am happy that you, an artist, don't agree with them. Too many pictures, in this film, seemed to me agressive, violent, ugly... some were truly beautiful, those in nature, but so slow...

Nothing to do with this incomparable impression you have while closing your eyes and remembering the enchantment of Trianon !

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:28 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I finally went to see the film complete.

2. The soundtrack was unforgivingly poor, not reflecting anything with the pictures shown , poor music, badly played (especially the piano parts and those two mandolin-sound early guitars).

Also - Nepotism at it's worst , one of the two mandolin/guitar players is Sofia Coppola's husband and baby's father in 'real life'.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And Jason Swartzman is her cousin, and when you look at the cast, you see many people playing under their own names, just friends of friends of friends, you see ? How could we let them down, hu ?

This kind of cinema is but a maffia !

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am aware that my "review" was severe, but I don't have anymore a terrible need to please anyone, it is my opinion.

About those early instrument guitars, perhaps it was the very first time that these guys ever picked an early low-strung guitar. The playing was as bad as can be if you are used to the modern electric ones (a completely different finger technique is required). And what series of original pieces with the (french) top-most early music players they could have used...But they also put Marie Antoinette sing her Cinderella-like (not a real peasant-girl like) C'est mon ami in her theatre bleue with the accompaniment of a piano, that was invented hundred years later in that form, not to mention those dinner-scenes with a group of musicians backround just moving from side to side. And those little cuts of real period music, well I have heard better interpretations, perhaps they crabbed the first CD in a catalogue.

Often I had an impression that I am watching a homevideo from a small group of Coppola and her friends and relatives who have dressed themselves in what their precious designers think is a period costume and wig, and then having fun in an exotic palace with a nice vacation trip in France. I had a good laugh about the carriages which always came to the Château from the backyard side of the park, and then were only moving back and forth in the very same path. How could they manage to portrait Versailles also so unimpressive, grey and without any grandness or style? Where were the courtiers etc.?

If a person didn't know so well Marie Antoinette-story, he could be very confused about the scenes, because it was quite messy, huge loops with time-line, places, characters etc. In Trianon scenes the slow rhythm was however quite pleasant and it could have been a base for a nice little impressionistic film called A Day in Trianon, which in clever hands could have included all the tragic, all the gracefullness, all the love and all the Rousseau-qualities...I need to close my eyes and have my little escape in a Grotto.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, Aurora, that is very helpful. About the costumes, which are supposed to be period, I am struck at how the panniers are not anywhere near wide enough, especially in the scenes from the 1770's.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next