Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks for your review, Aurora. That's it, exactly ! This impression of watching "a homevideo for Sofia and her friends" I also had ! Exactly ! And that is terrible a feeling... as a spectator, you are out, while you should be in.

With the distance, one of the more awful scenes, for me, is Dunst making a slaughter on stage with "c'est mon ami". The whole theatre was laughing around me. I felt terrible... Marie Antoinette, once more, was ridiculized, and, there, with regards to something that was very important to her : music. She loved music so much ! She played several instruments, she could read as a professional, she send partitions to her friends, she sang, she composed... Frankly, this horrible scene hurts !

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, this film really makes her ridiculous.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:14 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I am aware that my "review" was severe, but I don't have anymore a terrible need to please anyone, it is my opinion.

It was a horrible, shame of a movie, I think your review was perfect! You mentioned many things I think many of us felt.

There are not enough bad words (adjectives) to describe what a disservice this movie did the the real Marie-Antoinette.

I still do not understand why anyone can make movies about real people and make them so badly, so wrong.

Maybe they think once a person is dead that no more harm can be done to them, but that is not true, a persons reputation is eternal!

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

A person's reputation is eternal!! Very well said!!!

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
Maybe they think once a person is dead that no more harm can be done to them, but that is not true, a persons reputation is eternal!

Splendid! You are completely right ! :D
Marie-Antoinette does not deserve to be degraded, in a film or in a book.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks for your review, Aurora. That's it, exactly ! This impression of watching "a homevideo for Sofia and her friends" I also had ! Exactly ! And that is terrible a feeling... as a spectator, you are out, while you should be in.

With the distance, one of the more awful scenes, for me, is Dunst making a slaughter on stage with "c'est mon ami". The whole theatre was laughing around me. I felt terrible... Marie Antoinette, once more, was ridiculized, and, there, with regards to something that was very important to her : music. She loved music so much ! She played several instruments, she could read as a professional, she send partitions to her friends, she sang, she composed... Frankly, this horrible scene hurts !

Why were people laughing at that scene? There is absolutely nothing funny about that scene. (and no one in the theatre's I saw it in laughed at that scene) I personally liked it. Especially when Louis stood up cheering. "Bravo! Bravo!"

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:49 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You can never predict audiences reactions...
When I saw the film people were laughing to the scene where Axel is introducing himself and say the lines: "I am Count Fersen from Swedish Army."

Yes, Louis was adorable in the theatre scene, but it was a very cruel statement that he couldn't understand that his wife was singing and acting so badly, so I felt sad about the scene.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:28 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I finally saw the movie: I really was prepared not to like, but in the end I enjoyed it very much.

It's not a movie about the real Marie Antoinette. It's just a personal dream about her and in that sense the film works beautifully in my opinion.
I did not find it boring at all. It was a pleasure to watch, like a picture to be framed.
And with all its countless inaccuracies, it is even more historically accurate than some would-be historical movies like "Elizabeth".

Don't get mad at me, but I found some of my personal Antoinette in Coppola's vision. It's a perfect example of counterhistory.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Why should we be mad? Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You can never predict audiences reactions...
When I saw the film people were laughing to the scene where Axel is introducing himself and say the lines: "I am Count Fersen from Swedish Army."

Yes, Louis was adorable in the theatre scene, but it was a very cruel statement that he couldn't understand that his wife was singing and acting so badly, so I felt sad about the scene.

Well they didn't show her act but the singing didn't sound awful to me. I am a bit out of practice (I haven't had a voice lesson in two years now) but I am postive if I didn't notice the majority of the audience members didn't notice. Also I don't think it was ment to be a jab at Marie Antoinette..

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:54 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I finally saw the movie: ..............And with all its countless inaccuracies, it is even more historically accurate than some would-be historical movies like "Elizabeth".

I was so unhappy with the movie 'Elizabeth' I walked out. (I mean the one with Cate Blanchett) It was a nightmare to me, I have been reading about the Tudors since I was a child)

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I watched "Elizabeth" on video and stopped it halfway. I could not stand to watch it.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Moving around with the broom in a peasant costume, that is not what singers in general did, when performing in the late 18th century concert, so I do think it was meant to be an aria in the scene of one of her favourite plays.

The main problem was however, 1. that in the first place they used C'est mon ami, which is a plain song, not any aria or a stage piece. Why couldn't they choose then arias from Devin du Village, Sorcerier, even Barbier de Seville could have made huge associations to some people...and 2. why they didn't then choose to have C'est mon ami (if it was the only piece of music that they ever knew by Marie Antoinette) to be performed in a salon athmosphere in an intime concert, where it should have belonged.

In the film Jefferson in Paris for example there is more accurate scene with Troupe des Seigneurs performing a scene from Devin du Village and ladies dancing and singing around the May pole, from the finale.

I wasn't at all impressed by Dunst's voice, not when she was using present "folk-type" ordinary female range, and certainly not reflecting anything from the type of singing Marie Antoinette was learned to use.

Last edited by Aurora on Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next