Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 *i absolutely LOVE the soundtrack from the movie!!! 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oui, the 80s are back eh?! I lived through it once and that was enough :lol: especially the music :D Duran Duran!! :lol:

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:49 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I agree...once was enough!I was only a kid, but what I can remember is poodle perms, pink leg warmers and (please or offend ;)) horrendous music :lol:
As Pimpernelle said, it's only a matter of fashion so I'll wait this phase out...!

Anyway, my friend is going to make a copy of that double CD soundtrack so my opinion (however vitriolic) about it will appear soon on this forum...be afraid, be very afraid :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol: brace yourself...I sampled some on itunes... :wink:

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:47 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:04 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Anyway, my friend is going to make a copy of that double CD soundtrack so my opinion (however vitriolic) about it will appear soon on this forum...be afraid, be very afraid :lol: :lol:

I hope you like the music Merteuil ;)

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:30 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I LOVE DURAN DURAN!!!..sorry about getting so excited but I love their music so much...and as you can see from under my avatar, im 15..lol...not too many kinds my age know who they even are.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I know this is off topic ! but at the time Duran Duran was most popular, we wore tons of those rubber bracelets on our arms :lol: Let me state for the record that I was not a Duran Duran fan :wink: I was more the Madonna/Go-Go's fan (and those for not too long either ) :lol:

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

lol I love Eighties music. Madonna, Janet Jackson, Blondie, Michael Jackson, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, etc.. I could go on :P

lol funny story my mom's maiden name is Duran and she use to tell people they were her cousins :lol:

Elizabeth, thanks ;)

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:09 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I love the Plainsong (bu the Cure). It's just so lovely!

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:15 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Let's get back to discussing that soundtrack...here comes the venom... :lol:

Disc 1... :lol: absolutely dreadful :lol: apart from the piece by Vivaldi (I told you I wouldn't be kind ;))
Disc 2...much better overrall, apart from the terrible cover of "Fools rush in". But I wouldn't recommend this second cd to someone struggling with depression :cry: : someone here said that Disc two had a definite "this is the end" tone to it...I totally agree. That said, there are some very beautiful tracks: the pieces by Couperin and Rameau essentially (I absolutely love the sound of the harspsichord). Even the modern stuff by Aphex Twins doesn't sound "out of place": proof that modern music can actually figure next to period music: like in furniture, integrating period and modern can be done, as long as it is VERY WELL DONE.
Pity that all the tracks chosen for disc 2 are sad and slow.

I still do not understand why nobody thought about including the obvious musical choice: Antoinette's favourite musician, Gluck. Why not have music written by the Queen herself? And why does the only period music to appear on the CDs belong to a time that precedes Antoinette?It's almost as if Coppola had gone to great effort to avoid anything that would really belong to the years her film is set in.

The appreciation of music is down to personal taste and I respect anyone who connects to the style on disc 1...I'm not REALLY being mean when I call it dreadful...;) Well, I'm not mean to those who like it... :D

That wasn't too bad, was it :lol:

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

They say that Coppolla was trying to 'appeal' to younger people by putting in more modern music. :roll: (which I as a relatively young person, find offensive!) I personally find it completely inappropriate...though I have not seen the film. I'm surprised to hear that they had peices by Vivaldi and Couperin. They should have had more pieces of that caliber. Gluck, as you say, Mozart, Christian Bach would all have been infanitley more appropos. Integrating period pieces can be done, but I prefer a period interior...it has that harmony which this film seems to obviously lack!

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with you both ! Let's add that miss Coppola simply proceeded with additions.

1. It sounds a good idea to make a movie about this French queen who once said "let them eat cake", what's her name... ?

2. I like my friend Kirsten very much, I want her in my movie.

3. I just adore eighties music and colours ! Too beautiful !

Let's mix all these and see the result !

We all saw the result... ad anuseam...

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:59 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Yes Pimprenelle, you make me laugh! :lol: Don't forget the artificial pink pasteries and cakes! :wink: Coppola should have just set the movie in 80's clothing and done some Madonna-esque dancing! :roll:

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, you're right, dear ! I forgot the pastries... Laduree... Always thank your sponsors ! :lol:

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next