Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Looking for DVDs... 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Looking for DVDs...
Anyone knows where I could find a copy of "L'Autrichienne" with Ute Lemper?I've read raving reviews about it. It is apparently the best portrayal of Marie Antoinette. I have to see it!
I'm also after "La Revolution", a movie in two parts produced in 1989 for the Anniversary of the Bastille Fall. I vaguely remember seing part II at the end of the 1990s. It contained moving scenes of the Dauphin being manipulated into testifying against his mother.
I cannot find these movies on any dvd selling site...I would be eternally greatful for any tips helping to get my hands on a copy :D

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:02 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes I saw "L'Autrichienne" with Ute Lemper!
And I confirm this is a wonderful film! Ute Lemper is very impressive!
This is the best film about Marie-Antoinette that I've seen!
I advise it to you too! :D

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hello, Merteuil ! Nice avatar ! Joely Richardson did a great job in portraying our gracious queen !

I think you can buy "l'Autrichienne" on Amazon site or on Alapage. This wonderful movie is even not so expensive.

Gook luck ! :D

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:00 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you Pimprenelle; So far, Joely Richardson is the best Marie Antoinette I've seen on film.
I have a suspicion that Ute Lemper could replace Joely in my preferences, but that won't happen any time soon...all the sites give the same information: Actuellement indisponible... :(
I won't be beaten...the film could surface on ebay one day. Good things come to those who wait :wink:

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I'll watch out too, and tell you if I see some better news... :wink:

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:06 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

yes i'm also desperate to see l'autrichienne. i found a copy on ebay but no english subtitles :(

i don't like it when films are dubbed into english as you miss the beautiful music of languages like, for example, french and italian but please someone somewhere read this and pop on some subtitles and release it in the uk dvd market! :lol:

Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There are no subtitles in this movie... It is in French only. However, it is still interesting, for the dialogues are authentic, so, you can have them in Eglisch from good biographies. For instance, Marie Antoinette's trial contains accurate questions and replies.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:10 am
Noble
Noble

I cant seem to post a new topic so: Im buying MA movies online and was wondering which ones u recommend? im already sure im getting the Kirsten Dunst movie...

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:47 am
Post can anyone help me to get the 1938's dvd version?
hi i am a new member of this site. i am so anxious to know anything about Marie Antoinette. Now i use the novel titled "Abundance: a Novel of Marie Antoinette" as my undergraduate thesis so i desperately need the 1938's film version but i don't have credit cards or any other stuffs to purchase the dvd from the online shop. can anyone help me to get the movie free of charge? i would b very grateful if anyone of you can help me. sorry if my English is terribly bad.

Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:06 am
Royalty
Royalty

Free of charge, I'm not sure what you mean. BTW, I would NOT use Abundance or the 1938 movie as an academic basis for anything MA. :wink:

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:45 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Free of charge, I'm not sure what you mean. BTW, I would NOT use Abundance or the 1938 movie as an academic basis for anything MA. :wink:

I agree. Borrow Simon Bertiere's "L'Insoumise" through inter-library loan, or Madame Campan's Memoirs, or Nesta Webster's 2 volume study.

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:04 pm
I agree, 'Abundance' and the 1938 movie are not thesis material at all!
If you want to write a thesis about MA then there is plenty of good literature such as the books by Evelyne Lever, Antonia Fraser, André Castelot and many more. As far as the movies are concerned, 'L'Autrichienne' with Ute Lemper is fantastic. There is also 'Marie-Antoinette reine de France' with Michele Morgan, sadly not on dvd, but really good.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There is also 'Marie-Antoinette reine de France' with Michele Morgan, sadly not on dvd, but really good.

However not to be used as a thesis material either ! :lol: For, Marie Antoinette having a footmassage by Fersen in a theatre lodge... I doubt this really happened ! :lol:

Looking for serious cinematographical material, you have "L'Autrichienne", indeed, the series in 4 episodes by Guy Lefranc, starring Genevieve Casile, and, then, documentaries. All the other movies are too romantical and focused on the Fersen legend.

I agree with Therese the best biography is by Simone Bertiere, "L'insoumise". You also have the one written by Philippe Delorme, and Nesta Webster books, that exist in English. Lever's is also translated and a serious work. Chalon's book is also interesting. Then, you have good novels, such as Victoria Holst's fictitious diary or Elena Maria Vidal's "Trianon".

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:51 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Looking for DVDs...
Dear All,

Can anyone tell me from which DVD/Movie this image has been taken.....!?

It was on a site with Marie-Antoinette images and movies, but no name or indication was attached.

Thank you and Regards,

X

Attachments:
PDVD_050.jpg
PDVD_050.jpg [ 87.46 KiB | Viewed 2456 times ]

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Looking for DVDs...
That looks like it might be from a movie about Madame du Barry of which I saw a clip on YouTube.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next