Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Coppola's Film on DVD 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I saw this movie and had mixed feelings about it. I don't like Kirsten Dunst (or Kirsten Dunce, as one might call her). I don't think she played Marie Antoinette well.
Marie Antoinette was regal, beautiful, smart and deep. Everything Kirsten Dunce isn't.
However, I find the man who played Louis XVI to be very handsome. :D

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:24 pm
I did mention this movie in another thread but I'd like to elaborate. Coppola's Marie Antoinette is certainly not a perfect movie, but it is perfect *for me*. I read the book by Frasier when it was released and when I found out that a movie was being made based on it I knew I would watch it in the opening night.

Then I was at the movies and I saw the trailer with the New Order background - BREATHTAKING!! It would take months for the movie to be released in Brazil but then I traveled to Mexico and, surprise, they were playing Marie Antoinette in the airplane!!! It was a 18 hours flight roundtrip. You can only imagine how many times I watched the movie in several different languages and could't stop mysel. Still, back in Brazil, I couldn't miss the opening night at theathres. And now I have the DVD which is still inserted in my notebook as I write it.

Yes, this is how much I love the film. I'm no fan of Sofia Coppola nor Kirsten Dunst, I'm an admirer of Marie Antoinette. And I believe she was portrayed beautifully in this movie. I don't think we should go the historical way to discuss it, because not even documentaries, let alone History books are that accurate. Her letters and all the other documents leave a lot of room for interpretation. We'll never know details of what really happened anyway. TRUST ME ON THAT. There's no such thing as bringing the past back as it really was.

But then again, the obvious inaccuracies (for people who had known a little bit about the Queen but the fact that she was beheaded and supposedly said 'Let them eat cake') never bothered me a bit. A movie is an artistic expression and what an exression Coppola gave us. Her goal was to show us the outline of the very young Marie Antoinette from the moment she leaves Viena to the moment she leaves Versailles. It's a span of 15 - 19 years??

Anyway, it is A LOT of time. For obvious reasons, most secondary carachters were cut out and diminished/exageratted/adaptaded for there was barely room to show the queen herself. The creative liberties were wonderful and the soundtrack was a killer!!! I loved the script, I loved everything.

The movie showed me the teenager Antoinette (the child if you will) leaving her country to marry a total stranger teenager. She found herself in crowded rooms feeling so alone and her husband was shy and not-there in the beggining and the coutiers were hostile and were rude and were pressing her for an heir. What's innacurate in that?

Then her sister in law has a baby and she finds herself in a even more vulnerable situation. She is Queen of France and has all that money, why not buy dresses and shoes and go gambling and parting?? She was never taught the literal value of money anyway. What else did she have to do?? It's not like she was the mother of the future king, she was just childless and we know what it means. What's innacurate in that?

And then she finally bares children and becomes a loving mother and supporting wife. But even though she is compassionate toward the poors, she still is alienated. She's just being what she was grown up to be. Using those simple clothes and having her own private village wasn't a good idea when real peasants were starving - but the queen didn't even make the connection. She didn't even care about the gossips. It was her end and she was forced to leave. What's innacurare in that?

Then the 2 hours movie ends. As I said, perfect *for me*!

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:35 am
Hello everybody, I'm new here. I adore MA.

Well, did someone see this scene in the movie? Hehe, what are all star shoes doing there? :oops:

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
Well, did someone see this scene in the movie? Hehe, what are all star shoes doing there?
Your picture has a problem....

Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:31 am
Profile WWW

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:27 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed Coppola wanted to show these shoes...I don't know why because it's a big historical mistake :?

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is in the making off. They were shooting, and Dunst forgot her old converses there. Then, seeing this scene later, Sofia Coppola thought it was wonderful to have these blue converses in the middle of period shoes... :roll: They kept it. :roll:

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:07 am

''this, madame, is Versailles''

and the part of the Rameua's Platée

The best part is when you hear Concerto in G by A. Vivaldi-Reitzell. Wonderful!!! If she's getting dressed, eating, and eating again...[magnifique]

The end scene with her death would be perfect. :cry: Now people just think that she was spoiled child. :?

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7