Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Coppola's Film on DVD 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am not gonna lie...I LOVE all the pink :lol:

I completely get what you're saying baron de batz

But as Far as an "Outsider View" wouldn't this work in MA's favour? For one thing she was always an "Outsider" in France. Never fully accepted by French Society. She was always seen as the Austrian.
And the French tend to have a VERY negative view of her

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You are so right Monsieur Royale when you say that MA was always perceived as an outsider, even if I feel that at the beginning she was very much accepted by the people of France, even embraced as a refreshing change by a populace tired of the relative sleaziness of Louis XV's reign. I agree also to the point that the very fact that Fraser was an outsider too did favour MA in the latter's biography, and her stance is sympathetic, but that doesn't make it a great book or a particularly enlightening study of our queen. The problem for me is that Fraser is clearly of another culture, and this shows through for me during the whole book. I am not saying that only a Frenchman can write a great book on MA (maybe an Austrian can too, such as Zweig did) but I do believe it helps. MA is the story of the quintessential French "problême de société", "social problem" -it happened then and it still is happening now during this pre-election period. The French like making money but don't like people with money.They like to think they like foreigners, but they never really feel that the latter are really French. These are generalities its sure, but I believe they are true in a great number of cases, and as an outsider I have been observing closely these factors for twelve years now. That is why I feel so close to the foreigner in MA sometimes, and I understand her despair at having tried to persuade her people so many times that her heart was French, and to be reminded so many times that she was l'autrichienne! Her negative words complaining about the French in her latterday letters to Fersen (another foreigner, which was perhaps no coincidence) are understandable in this sense, she had given up hope of gaining their love and the Austrian in her resurfaces, a mirror of her mother's national pride, who told her early on never to forget she was German.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:11 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hi!

Did anybody get the French collector's edition dvd?

I'd like to know if the documentary available in the special features is the "Reputations" BBC documentary (Fraser and Jean Chalon are interviewed) described here:

http://www.compleatseanbean.com/marie-antoinette.html

It should be...

Thank you!

I bought the Royal Edition of the DVD; 2disk Special Editon DVD, Frasers biography of M-A, and a replica of the fan used by M-A in the movie, all in a white box!

I have not watched the documentary on the 2nd bonus disk in full, though I did watch the first 2 minutes or so, and it was definately a BBC documentary, but that is as much as I can tell you.

PS: The reason I didn't watch the whole documentary is because it is all dubbed over in french and I cannot speak french! ;)

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

i enjoyed watching the movie but i feel so bad for madame du bary...she acted and looked like a prostitute in the movie quite different from her portraits..............

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed you're right Monika....It's a shame for her...and for Polignac too...who seems to be in the film an idiot who thinks only about things without interest :?

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

I actually likes this movie a lot. Sure, it wasn't very accurate, but what is? I've seen historical movies where the most basic plot never happened. It's more accurate than most movies I've seen recently. It was intended for American women, not French historians. I'm not saying the historical inaccuracies didn't bother me, but they weren't major enough to ruin the movie.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:52 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I keep changing my view on this film as I read all your comments because you all make very valid points, for and of course against.

I guess all I can really say what I like about and and not like about it to make a general decision...

I Liked:
-The food (Those macaroons from laduree look like a girls best friend next to chocolate)
-the costumes (ok zips were a bad move, but altogether amazing couture),
-Her children (adorable but could have seen more of them)
-the fact it was filmed mainly at Versailles
-it didnt portray her as the evil conspiritor as the revolutionists believed her to be, but rather more innocently naive about things (which unfortunately though I think is what gave Sophia way to make her out to be the unfortunate Paris Hilton twin, but ofcourse we know better)
-Lastly well, some of the songs. I actually though that Ceremony by New Order suited Marie Antoinette, as the words in it are very touching and about a woman who had no mercy shown upon her. And well The Cure song 'Cats are grey' is very like her too, especially these first lines....

I never thought that I would find myself
In bed amongst the stones
The columns are all men
Begging to crush me
No shapes sail on the dark deep lakes
And no flags wave me home

I do see MA in the midst of this.

I did not like:

-The fact that Kirsten Dunst didn't really appreciate the role she was given. I think anyone who has the opportunity to be Marie Antoinette should be somehow effected by it. She didnt really make any mention about the Queen herself in any interviews I have seen her in, just her role in the movie. That bugged me alot when she should have been praising MA.
-The whole historically incorrectness. I mean if the film cost 40 mil, would it have been that hard for Sophia to make it correct?
-The rest of the songs such as Hong Kong Garden and that REALLY annoying cover of 'Fools Rush In' when she is driving back to Versailles after she met Fersen in Paris. People were actually laughing at it in my cinema it was so stupid.
-I was a little upset they didnt show the end of MA's life, not neccesserily her execution itself but her last moments before it happened. I was especially though really annoyed when some guy in the cinema at the end when I was walking out said to me "Im so dissapointed they didnt show her head being chopped off, what a waste of money". I didn't even answer him, I felt MA deserved more dignity than that.

But still it should have showed her up to the point of when she said those words to her executionist, that showed her real bravery. Just not her head leaving her body.

So I guess I have to say I liked this movie overall, but historically and inaccurately portrayed wise, I am pretty annoyed as it had potential to be corrected and right. However it is really just art, I mean I have a print of Marie Antoinette and Mozart together playing music, both looking like they are in their 20's, which is inaccurate when they only met when they were both children - am I correct? But i still like it because its her. I can't not love anything Marie Antoinette that is not damaging in a hateful way about her.

I do see all your points of view however and highly respect them.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you for sharing that Jasmine. Those lines from the cure are haunting.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:56 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yes, its such a sad song, yet very relevant to how she would have felt I feel.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I watched this movie when it came out, October 20th.
I own the DVD.
I own the soundtrack.
:D

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:37 pm
Vanity Fair feature of Antonia Fraser's diary of her involvement in the Sofia Coppola film from 2001 to 2005.

http://community.livejournal.com/i_hear ... 18230.html

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:49 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here we learn that Louis XVI was a fat slob and that Marie Antoinette was disfigured by an Habsburg lips.

That's what we could call "empathy with your characters".

We also see that Sofia Coppola got interested in Marie Antoinette because of this "handover", you know, when passing to France, Antonia is put nacked.

Well... this so famous episode that never happened, actually ! :roll: A real symbol of this movie.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:33 am
Noble
Noble

She says, "His accent to me is very Californian. And Mary Nighy very English. Whereas Kirsten Dunst is L.A. Valley Girl". Is not LA in California?

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:40 pm
Noble
Noble

I got it shortly after it came out, in addition to the soundtrack after I saw it in the theaters. I waited more than a year for it to come out - I remember watching the trailers online over and over. I have to say I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be. I saw it the day after it came out (tickets were sold out the first night - I tried). I think the visuals in the movie were excellent. And though I like Kirsten Dunst a lot, I don't think she was exactly what you call "perfect for the part." I thought the music would be severely inappropriate (even though there was some Vivaldi and Scarlatti). The modern music was definitely overused, but I think I figured out why Sofia Coppola used it. It may not have existed during Marie Antoinette's time, but if it had - she was a party girl - wouldn't she have listened to it? So I think Sofia wanted to portray her as the wild lively full-of-energy young woman that she was. It actually blended in well, in my opinion. It was sort of a change of pace from historical lessons on Marie. It was entertaining in that respect. What really disappointed me though, was the ending. Please do not read on if you haven't seen it. I want to say a thing or two about the end.

----

Though it saddens me to think of Marie's untimely death, I think it's a necessary part of her life story, and to leave it out - the movie felt really incomplete just stopping after she and her family leave Versailles. Most of it was well-made, but I think, no matter how painful (I think Sofia Coppola does sympathize with Marie, and she wanted her story told in a positive way), the tragic end of Marie Antoinette's life needs to be shown. If not graphically (I would not want the execution to be shown up close), then at least implied. Her imprisonment and eventual death were major parts of her life. Perhaps Sofia thought that everyone knows the story, and she didn't need to include it. I really think she should have. The movie was, for the most part, great until then. The ending was more of a disappointment then I thought. I thought the whole movie was going to be terrible because of the anachronisms, but I got over them once I understood why they were there. The ending ruined some of the joy of the movie, though. I guess Sofia wanted to focus on Marie's glorious life, and not her tragic death.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next