Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 marie antoinette and the oscars. 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The rest of the world is NOT so Hollywood-orientated as they might think it is!!! :lol:

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:39 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

The rest of the world is NOT so Hollywood-orientated as they might think it is!!!

But many are. Be happy: Marie Antoinette has yet again been brought forward into the public conciousness. People who want to find out more, will find out more and then draw their own conclusions. Those who define Marie Antoinette from one souce only, be it this or any other film, book, article are not worthy of her anyway.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Of course... Hollywood small world had to give something to Francis Ford's daughter, after all, hadn't it ? :lol:

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Nothing personal, but I can't be happy with lies that were represented as facts in this film.
:cry:
Also pure techinically, I think that these costumes were not accurate nor they were showing a symbolistic costuming for a film to emphasize a drama line, but they were something in-between and thus looked amateurish. :?
This is my opinion and I am entitled to this.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:13 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Exactly, Aurora,.. So the only thing the movie is known for is the costumes not the Queen :roll:

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:53 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hee hee. I had to be mean and post it. xP

I agree it did bring Marie-Antoinette out to the public of today, even if a lot of it was untrue. I also agree with, TsmnDs, if people are interested enough, they'll research and devolp opinions of their own. (Maybe express them at our lovely forum?)

And I have to say it, I was snickering when the announcer said the costumes were inspired by desserts!

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol:
I am a hopeless idealist, I always think there will be better in the future.
And the prices (if they are needed anyway) will not go with the commercial purposes only.

Yes, let us hope for better things in the future.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:22 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Maybe a well researched Mini series like the sucess of Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Maybe a well researched Mini series like the sucess of Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren

Oh... I heard about this series, but never saw it ! I deeply admire Helen Mirren, who was wonderful playing Elizabeth II.

Once upon a time (... :lol: ...) I was lucky to watch Elizabeth I with Glenda Jackson, that completely fascinated the little girl I was then.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mirren was good also in the Madness of King George.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh yes she was ! And this film is wonderful !

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:07 pm
Noble
Noble

Bonjour, all, this is my first post here.
I have to say, I truly disagree with the popular sentiment, here, about SC's movie. I believe that it has done a lot of good in bringing Marie Antoinette's tragedy to light in an age when, (let's face it), not many people are very well educated when it comes to the particulars of the French Revolution and its victims. I mean, most of my friends and family had no idea what this incredible woman went through and at least, through this movie, they have an understanding of many aspects of her life and character, even if the entire film is not completely accurate. Remember: many of us learned in our history classes, for example, that she was snobbish and cavalier at best. Think of all this movie does to raise people's awareness!
SC was very careful to follow much of Antonia Fraser's novel. Think of what she could have done instead! As for the costumes: I take no offense at the fact that some of them were fuscia. It's a hollywood film! In order to be appealing to the masses, it must conform to that which we tend to relate to, today, in our society. And, frankly, while watching, I was not focusing on the zippers which, I'm sure, were there in the interest of time and money.
I must tell you that before the movie came out, I saw it advertised and thought, "I'd really like to know more about this person." I wanted to be as informed as possible before seeing the film. So I reasearched what I could, and now am completley immersed in her world, trying to find all the information I can, (hence my membership here), and telling others of her heroicism, struggles, and beauty. In this respect, the film has done so much! :D
I will say, however, that I'd like to see a movie on MA gain as much credit and be as appealing to all as The Queen, etc.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, I am glad that the Coppola film has done some good.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2