Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Pavillon de Flore 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post The Pavillon de Flore
This is all that remains of a royal residence, so I guess it goes here.

The Pavillon de Flore is the last remaining piece of the Tuileries Palace. It is now attached to the Louvre. The Pavillon played a fairly important role in revolutionary history, originally housing the apartments of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI, then later the offices of the Committee of Public Safety.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can tour the Pavillon de Flore? It's technically part of the Louvre now, but I don't know there is art displayed in it, or if there's something else related to the Louvre, or if it's just separate. The Louvre website didn't mention anything about it specifically.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: The Pavillon de Flore
I have always found that the websites of such museums avoid topics you are always curious about.
I will look into my resources, I may even find a floorplan.

I have been looking for the Pavillion d'Orleans and Pavillion de Provence for 2 years now. (part of Versailles' wing Aile du Midi.)

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hi dreamoutloud ... I would be curious to know also !

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:19 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Well, I'm moving to Paris next week, so I guess I'll report back on this.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Since 2003, a committee in France has been proposing to rebuild the Tuileries Palace. This effort is similar to the proposal of reconstruction of the Berliner Stadtschloss (Berlin City Palace). There are several reasons for rebuilding the Palace of the Tuileries. Ever since the destruction of 1883, the famous perspective of the Champs-Élysées, which ended on the majestic facade of the Tuileries Palace, now ends in the Arc du Carrousel, formerly centered on the Tuileries but now occupying a large empty space. The Louvre, with its pyramid on the one hand and the axis of the Place de la Concorde-Champs-Élysées-Arc de Triomphe on the other, are not aligned on the same axis.

The Arc du Carrousel fortuitously stands near the intersection of the two axes. The Palace of the Tuileries, which was located at the junction of these two diverging axes, helped to disguise this bending of the axes. Architects argue that the rebuilding of the Tuileries would allow the re-establishment of the harmony of these two different axes. The Tuileries Gardens would also recover their purpose, which was to be a palace garden.

Le Nôtre's central axis of the Tuileries' parterres in a late 17th-century engravingAlso, it is emphasized that the Louvre Museum needs to expand its groundplan to properly display all its collections, and if the Tuileries Palace is rebuilt the Louvre Museum could expand into the rebuilt palace. It is also proposed to rebuild the state apartments of the Second Empire as they stood in 1871. All the plans of the palace and many photographs are still stored in French archives. Furthermore, all the furniture and paintings from the palace survived the 1871 fire because they had been removed from the palace in 1870 at the start of the Franco-Prussian War and stored in secure locations.

Today, the furniture and paintings are still deposited in storehouses and not on public display due to the lack of space in the Louvre Museum. It is argued that recreating the state apartments of the Tuileries Palace would allow the display of these treasures of the Second Empire style which are currently hidden.

A rebuilding of the Palace of the Tuileries is estimated to cost 300 million euros (US$ 400 million). It would be financed by public subscription and the work would be undertaken by a private foundation, with the French government spending no money on the project. Since 2003, the idea has gained momentum in French media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavillon_de_Flore

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think you'll like Versailles A Biography of a Palace by Tony Spawforth; he spends time explaining which apartments disappeared during ancient remodelling and perhaps you'll locate your family suites. He seems to know who was there and then who was there next and then whose rooms were enlarged or reduced--interesting book for all of you. :book:

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

winsan2 wrote:
I think you'll like Versailles A Biography of a Palace by Tony Spawforth; he spends time explaining which apartments disappeared during ancient remodelling and perhaps you'll locate your family suites. He seems to know who was there and then who was there next and then whose rooms were enlarged or reduced--interesting book for all of you. :book:

My family's? I'm sorry, I'm a tad bit confused.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]