Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Grotto 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Grotto
To each person his own point of view....more than one person has been provoked here by Thérèse's comments and her position as a moderator made her somewhat inviolable. It was up to the other forum moderators to check her over brusque reflections. As that was not done, people here have a right to stick up for themselves against unprovoked attacks, Internet or not.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:06 am
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, we may all take issue with the manner in which certain members choose to express themselves here, but it has never been and is not now acceptable to discuss that in the middle of a thread.

I'll repeat, if you're annoyed, offended or worried about how a discussion is taking place you are always free to bring that up privately with the person who has touched a nerve. You are also free to bring it up with me or any of the other forum moderators, but you must do so via private message. Doing it on the boards derails any discussion that might be taking place.

And on a final note, nobody here is inviolable, moderators have been known to overstep the mark and when the matter is brought to my attention I have dealt with it. Similarly if you don't like the way I am doing things you are welcome to talk it over with me, I've very open to suggestions from members about how things can be improved.

Now anyone want to contribute some more about the grotto?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:50 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Does anyone have any more photos of the grotto or information? I found some on this forum, I'll post the link again,

http://maria-antonia.justgoo.com/versai ... =la+grotte

Is the grotto large? It looks small in the photos.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

By some quirk of fate, even after several visits to Versailles and one to the Petit Trianon, this grotto completely escaped my notice. However, in view of some of the questions and arguments that have arisen here; I wish to put in my two cents. Grottoes were all the rage in the late 1700s. Every fashionable garden had to have one, along with meandering streams and 'natural' looking waterfalls. In that respect, every 'English' garden planted in France in M.A.'s time boasted at least one grotto, whether or not the owner made any use of it.

The baron observed that the Petit Trianon grotto is a gloomy, melancholy place and it struck him as being like a prison cell. Even so, I doubt this comparison could have been made by M.A., as she had never seen a prison cell in her life, and had no reason to think she would. She truly could not have imagined where her life would end, or how it would end.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It was merely poetic license...I have such dreamy moments of Proustian like associations. Tea and Madeleines, grottos and prison cells...take no heed of them! :lol:

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I enjoy your observations, Baron, no matter how Proustian! And I envy your proximity to the places where M.A. spent most of her life. How wonderful it must be to walk the same paths as she, whenever you feel like it.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3