Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Temple of Love 
Noble
Noble

Post The Temple of Love
Hello everyone,

This is my first time on this forum, so I hope that I have posted in the right place!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help. My boyfriend and I visited Paris a few weeks past. It was only a short trip (4 days) but I knew that I couldn't go to Paris without going to the Palace of Versailles. I have always had an interest in Marie Antoinette, and recently read a biography about her. The Palace was stunning, and well worth taking a whole day out of our scheduled. It was even more unforgettable because my boyfriend proposed to me at the Temple of Love.

So the reason for this post is that I am obviously really interested to find out more about the Temple of Love, and have been digging around on the internet. I was wondering if anyone from this forum would be able to advise me about any books, articles, or anything that I can go to which contains some more information able the Temple. I understand that details may be sketchy as it is not the most important part of Marie Antoinette's estate, so it would not be the focus (or worth a mention) in many works, but anything that can be suggested would be greatly appreciated. And really, just any general information about the Temple of Love is of interest to me!

I am also really interested in any paintings containing the Temple of Love - anything really. I am just so interested in this structure that witnessed such an important part of my life.

Also, is it known at all where in her estate Marie Antoinette was when she was told about the advancing crowds on 5 October? I have read on one blog that she was in her grotto, and on another that she was in the Temple of Love. Neither blog had any references, so I'm not sure where they got this information from.

many thanks.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:35 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: The Temple of Love
You can see the Temple of Love in the backdrop of this famous painting.

I know that French historian Pierre de Nolhac wrote about Marie-Antoinette and Trianon, so this book must contain a few details about the temple of love. However, I did not get to reading it myself, and I am afraid this book is not available in English.

I suggest you browse on the forum, for this subject must have been broached already on here.

As far as I know, Marie-Antoinette was indeed in Trianon when she was apprised of the mobs' arrival. I think I also heard she was in the grotto, or in her garden, but I cannot back this up with any reliable source.

I guess you can wait for other, more informed, replies. I am not very knowledgeable about the whereabouts of Marie-Antoinette, and not an authority when it comes to any precise detail of the kind.)

You are welcome to discuss Marie-Antoinette on this forum, you'll be a great addition. Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us more about your background and your interest in our dear Queen.

Attachments:
Marie_Antoinette-children-1785-6-Wertmuller.jpg
Marie_Antoinette-children-1785-6-Wertmuller.jpg [ 160.39 KiB | Viewed 4581 times ]

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is of course very romantic to be proposed in the Temple of Love. I was proposed once... in a café. :|

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 pm
Noble
Noble

Hello Ludy,

Thank you so much for your replies. I have heard about this book, but didn't realise that it is not available in English. That is such a pity.

I really love that painting of Marie Antoinette and her children :D

Thank you, it was really nice and romantic. Plus I love the idea of my boyfriend proposing to be in such an important place. Especially as Marie Antoinette could see the Temple from her bedroom window in the Petit Trianon.

I will pop over now and introduce myself!

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:

I was proposed once...in a café!

For what and to whom were you proposed Ludy?!....really its quite scandalous the liberties people take with our innocent members!

:wink:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Most rumours have it that MA was in her grotto when she was passed the note saying she should hurry back to the Chäteau. One other source said she was in the Trianon sitting room.

The temple of love was designed by Richard Mique, her architect for the English style gardens she ordered for Trianon . It was typical of the late 18th century fashion for 'follies' or "fabriques" in French, romantic structures of different kinds chosen to enhance views and lighten and romanticize the gardens. Her room at Trianon looks out onto this temple for example.

The statue in the Temple is by Bouchardon, the original now being in the Louvre museum, but even this copy is very old in itself. It was recently damaged by some fool tourist who must have used part of arc of the club as a support to try and hitch himself up on to the pedastal of the statue and it snapped clean away! There are many old engravings of 18th century ladies and noblemen strolling around the Temple which is on a small half island.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:21 pm
Noble
Noble

I guess that we will never really know where she was. But what a terrifying note it must have been to receive, regardless of where she was.

I must admit, I do like the idea of MA being able to see the little temple from her bedroom :P

I have read a few different things about who sculptured the cupid in the temple. For instance, on the Louvre website (http://www.louvre.fr/en/oeuvre-notices/ ... b-hercules) it says that:

It was moved to the Antiquities Room in the Musée du Louvre in 1778 so that it could be copied by Louis-Philippe Mouchy for the Temple of Cupid at Trianon.

Which seems to suggest that whilst it was the inspiration of the cupid, it was not Bouchardon who sculptured the Temple of Love one, and that the cupid in the Louvre was not at one point in the Temple of Love.

Oh my goodness, indeed a fool! How stupid some people can be :disgust:

I am very interested in any images of the Temple. These engravings sound wonderful. Do you know where I may be able to see images of these?

baron de batz wrote:
Most rumours have it that MA was in her grotto when she was passed the note saying she should hurry back to the Chäteau. One other source said she was in the Trianon sitting room.

The temple of love was designed by Richard Mique, her architect for the English style gardens she ordered for Trianon . It was typical of the late 18th century fashion for 'follies' or "fabriques" in French, romantic structures of different kinds chosen to enhance views and lighten and romanticize the gardens. Her room at Trianon looks out onto this temple for example.

The statue in the Temple is by Bouchardon, the original now being in the Louvre museum, but even this copy is very old in itself. It was recently damaged by some fool tourist who must have used part of arc of the club as a support to try and hitch himself up on to the pedastal of the statue and it snapped clean away! There are many old engravings of 18th century ladies and noblemen strolling around the Temple which is on a small half island.

Tue May 01, 2012 4:30 pm
Noble
Noble

My photo of the Temple d'Amour, January, 2008.

Attachments:
DSC03857.JPG
DSC03857.JPG [ 218.97 KiB | Viewed 4390 times ]
Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:36 am
Noble
Noble

Hello Vermandoi. Thank you so much for posting this photo :mrgreen:

Vermandois wrote:
My photo of the Temple d'Amour, January, 2008.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]