Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Trianon 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Trianon
Excusez-moi pour tant de questions.. :oops: I promise, my literature is on the way and I will find answers there aussi! For now though :) What kinds of things went on at Trianon? Gambling, dances, relaxation?? Were there any noted grandes parties?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sorry I do not understand what you ask... I have shame... :oops:

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The only "big party" organized in Trianon was for king GustaF III of Sweden. I am efraid little Trianon was considered a country house more than some dancing...

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The great festival organized in Trianon for the honor of Joseph during his second visit in France in 1781 I believe was important too not? :D

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yeah, and also the feast Antoinette organized when she received Trianon from Louis and she was desguised as a limonadière. But the biggest on was for Gustaf.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What is the disguise limonadiere? To reword the question, I would ask, how did M.A. spend her time when she was at Trianon? Did she often have friends visit there? And, if so, what would they do to amuse themselves?

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:30 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

During an evening organized in Trianon, Marie-Antoinette had disguised herself as a limonadiere and had managed a stand of distribution of lemonade. Charming not? :D

Marie-Antoinette liked to go in Trianon for the calms, to discuss with her friends and to play with her children.
Only people chosen by Marie-Antoinette could go to the Trianon. Marie-Antoinette and her friends tasted cheeses just realized by the farmers of the Hamlet.
From time to time she fished also I believe in the lake of Trianon.
And evenings were organized there, the evenings where the Etiquette and the formalities were minimized. :D

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

One summer they held nightly concerts outside the Trianon. All the inhabitants of Versailles were welcome, and there was a large crowd from eleven until two or three in the morning. (I don't believe the King attended; he was always in bed by eleven.) The queen and a few of her inner circle would mill around incognito, trying to blend in. There's an amusing story where a clerk sat down on a bench beside the queen and two princesses, apparently not aware who they were. They traded gossip about the private families for quite a while, and the three of them curtsied as they went off.

Besides the concerts, there were many outdoor balls, and a handful of plays. It's an amusing image -- Marie Antoinette playing the part of a shepherdess in front of the general public (remember, Versailles was essentially a city, with cooks, carpenters, gardeners, etc).

Inside the Trianon it was billiards, music, dancing, gossip, etc. For parties they'd invite people from outside the inner circle. There was gambling there for a few years -- it was a habit Antoinette picked up from the Princess de Guimenee. They'd bring in table-keepers from Paris, and they'd go at it until early morning. It was Antoinette herself who put a stop to it, because the king's brothers would become furious when they lost, sometimes getting into fights.

Last edited by Byron on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:36 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I just came across a mention of the Lemonade incident. It was a fair held in the gardens outside Trianon, with the ladies of the Court attending the booths. Antoinette was at a booth selling coffee, but dressed as a lemonade seller. (I suppose lemonade sellers had a distinctive way of dressing.) She had just become pregnant, and all sorts of amusements of this kind were being arranged for her.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:50 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I just have to mention this. I've been reading about the Trianon for a few hours, and I came across an author who describes it as "a very small and very unassuming country house." Well, there's a replica of the Trianon here in San Francisco (Washington & Maple for those who are interested), and if that thing were to go on the market, it'd sell in the $40-$50 million range. Unassuming country house!

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fascinating! It seems that M.A. very much enjoyed being incognito amongst the people. Was this unique to her, or was it common for other nobility or previous queens? Did M.A. entertain most evenings with her friends and stay up very late?

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

When she was young Marie-Antoinette organized much the evenings: she started at the end of the evening and she returned in the morning.
And this at a big rhythm.
But after 1781, with the birth of Louis-Joseph, she started to reduce the frequency of these evenings. :D

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yes, apparently they were all night owls, with the king being the exception. In another thread I mentioned the incident where someone set his clock forward so he'd retire early and they could get an early start for Paris. Still, they wouldn't have arrived until after midnight. In Paris they'd attend the opera and the theaters incognito. People knew who they were but still went along with it.

Actually -- this I also mentioned in another thread -- the habit of inviting the general public to the events outside the Trianon ended when an officer in the king's guard, having heard of the incident with the clerk, presented himself to the queen at one of the concerts. He kneeled in front of her and said something about his great fortune at having the opportunity to "solicit" at the court, at which point the queen and princesses quickly scurried into the Trianon. ("Solict" as in "solicitation" as in FAUX PAS.) Antoinette was furious -- not about the choice of words, but about the fact that he violated the incognito: the pretense that no one recognized her. (The officer wasn't fired; he just got a reprimand.) Afterwards the concerts were invitation only.

Anyway, perhaps Antoinette's habit of going around incognito originated with the masked balls. These were a very interesting phenomenon. People still recognized one another, but the masks were a sort of signal to drop all the formalities of rank. There was an incident at one of these balls where Artois was getting cozy with some lady in waiting whose name I forget, and the Duchess de Bourbon took offense at this and began following the two around, berating them. It turns out that the lady in question had had an affair with the Duke de Bourbon, and now here she was moving in on Artois, who it's said the Duchess had a bit of crush on. Anyway, the Duchess and Artois really got into it, and she pulled off his mask; he responded by scrunching up her mask on her face. So the Duke de Bourbon was obliged by etiquette to challenge Artois to a fencing duel. The duel took place, but it was half-hearted. They banged their swords together a few times before Artois asked "Are you satisified?" The Duke said yes, and that was that. No point getting stabbed over it!

I think the habit of dressing up in costumes came out of the craze for amateur theater. It was fashionable to go about Paris in costume, impersonating well known characters. The artificial village Antoinette built beside the Trianon was essentially an elaborate set, with the queen in the role of shepherdess. Here's a picture of one of the buildings (the main farmhouse, I think):

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:55 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Beautiful picture of Le Hameau! :D I believe it was designed by Richard Mique in 1785-88. This picture is of the "Queen's House", but there was also a mill for flour, a dairy with Sevres milk pails, and a house for a farmer who lived on the site with his family, giving it an "authentic" look! :lol:

Here's another photo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ferme1.jpg

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:38 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Ah, I see, they hired "extras." Wonderful picture -- to this American, it looks a bit like Disneyland.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next