Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 other royal residence(please help me to choose) 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: other royal residence(please help me to choose)
A little off this topic, but did someone say Fragonard and Vigee-LeBrun??
I just took these pictures at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco......

Attachments:
Fragonard.jpg
Fragonard.jpg [ 93.92 KiB | Viewed 2605 times ]
Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:02 am
Royalty
Royalty

The Fragonard is called "Useless Resistance"

Here's the Vigee-LeBrun - these paintings are part of the permanent collection at the Legion of Honor.

Attachments:
Vigee-LeBrun.jpg
Vigee-LeBrun.jpg [ 55.91 KiB | Viewed 2605 times ]
Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:
A little off this topic, but did someone say Fragonard and Vigee-LeBrun??
I just took these pictures at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco......

Well, to be honest, these are the kind of masterpieces I'd rather see hung against the wall of a French museum. So sad so many of our masterpieces were bought by foreign museums in the USA or in Russia, it seems like you need to cross the ocean to learn about the French XVIII century ... And we have so little left here !(

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So true!

The best 18th century French art and furniture I've ever seen was in the States or in Russia!!

New York and St Petersburg!

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
So true!

The best 18th century French art and furniture I've ever seen was in the States or in Russia!!

New York and St Petersburg!

As Reagan would say "here you go again" !

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:21 am
Royalty
Royalty

Ludy wrote:
Well, to be honest, these are the kind of masterpieces I'd rather see hung against the wall of a French museum. So sad so many of our masterpieces were bought by foreign museums in the USA or in Russia, it seems like you need to cross the ocean to learn about the French XVIII century ... And we have so little left here !(

Yes Ludy, I agree. It is a shame the French allowed these masterpieces to be dispersed in such a manner. But, at least many works have surfaced and have been donated to museums and are slowly coming into the public view. For so many years much has been in private collections. I can tell you of a home not far from me which possessed some panels made for Madame DuBarry, wall sconces from Versailles among various other 18th century French art and treasures. I find the stories of these aqusitions very interesting. I'm happy that at least we know where these things are housed - even if it's not in France. In a perfect world everyone would possess their own historical treasures........I'll bet the Italians want their Mona Lisa back too, but it isn't likely the Louvre will ever hand it over.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:
Ludy wrote:

Yes Ludy, I agree. It is a shame the French allowed these masterpieces to be dispersed in such a manner. But, at least many works have surfaced and have been donated to museums and are slowly coming into the public view. For so many years much has been in private collections. I can tell you of a home not far from me which possessed some panels made for Madame DuBarry, wall sconces from Versailles among various other 18th century French art and treasures. I find the stories of these aqusitions very interesting. I'm happy that at least we know where these things are housed - even if it's not in France. In a perfect world everyone would possess their own historical treasures........I'll bet the Italians want their Mona Lisa back too, but it isn't likely the Louvre will ever hand it over.

That's amazing ! I must say I have always resented Madame du Barry for having turned down the masterpieced Fragonard had painted for Louvecienne. As far as I read about this story, it is not entirely clear why she refused them. It might be that she felt targeted by this sensual style, which was anyway no longer fashionable. But to me, these are definitely Fragonard's finest paintings.

Here is my favourite :

Attachments:
fragonard.JPG
fragonard.JPG [ 63.38 KiB | Viewed 2568 times ]

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:11 am
Royalty
Royalty

Gorgeous!

Yes, there are some Fragonard pieces here in Australia, as well. I think there is also a portrait of one of the Mesdames Tantes.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:42 pm
Noble
Noble

Does anyone else go Saint-Cloud?

Last edited by ines on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 28, 2012 4:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well I have been there a few times. The terrace of the Château and some of the garden layout still exists. Most interesting of all is the "Grande Cascade" or fountain, which is still in working order and I think is made to work at certain fixed times during summer weekends, I think around 15:00, with accompanying music.

Tue May 29, 2012 7:27 am
Noble
Noble

baron de batz wrote:
Well I have been there a few times. The terrace of the Château and some of the garden layout still exists. Most interesting of all is the "Grande Cascade" or fountain, which is still in working order and I think is made to work at certain fixed times during summer weekends, I think around 15:00, with accompanying music.

thank for your answering!
one more question :oops: :oops: ,if i want to see some MA's relict(such as clothes, furniture..anything else ),which museum i can visit?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The best for that is the Musée Carnavalet here in Paris.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2