Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Christmas in captivity 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Christmas in captivity
As the Christmas season is upon us, I got to thinking about the Royal family and the last years they spent as prisoners. 1789, 1790, 1791, 1792 for the King and Queen and 1793 and 1794 too for Madame Royal and the Dauphin. Do you suppose that they might have been allowed some sort of celebration? Are there any details published anywhere of what these last Christmas's may have been like while the family was captive?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:56 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Christmas in captivity
A very good question, Lilly! I don't think I have ever really read anything about it in major biographies....maybe something more exhaustive like the letters of MA, Nesta Webster's work or something from the Goncourts, Coursacs or Mme. de la Rocheterie.

Maybe Le Baron would be of more assistance? :?:

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

His Majesty King Louis wrote his last will out on Christmas day. He also sent an Almanac to his daughter for her birthday a few days before. That poor family had no Christmas in 1792 and it is almost impossible to thiink of the horrors they went through at that time. I have been reading a lot of downloaded ebooks from Project Gutenburg regarding this Royal Family and am so depressed. I very much try to count my blessings, but when I read about the cruelty to this family I despair of humanity. Their majesties died with dignity, the dauphin was cruelly treated and died, but Madame the Duchesse of Angouleme survived by a miracle.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:10 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As far as I know, there was no religious celebration in 1792, since on the 24/25th of december, the King was writing his last wills. Cléry states that during that period he was working on his case along with his lawyer. No other visits seem to have been allowed.

I would not say that the Tuileries were a prison, or it was a very gilded one. I assume that there was not impediment whatsoever precluding them from attending the Christmas mass.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Christmas was not the same as it is now. It meant that Mass was even more important than usual and was a primarily religious celebration. We know the dauphin had some games in the Temple prison, maybe he got those at Xmas. I have seen his Loto or Bingo board for example which is in the Musée Carnavalet in Paris. I think that the Royal family probably sat down to their usual meal but said special Xmas prayers etc. One must remember that the Temple imprisonment did have the result of bringing together a family that had never really seen much of each other because of Court commitments, even at the Tuileries where there was still a semblance of Royal protocol. The children were no doubt delighted to get to know their parents better, even in adversity.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But then Louis was already on his own, separated from the rest of the family.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Only towards the end.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]