Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Mozart in Paris (1778) and an Audition with......? 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Mozart in Paris (1778) and an Audition with......?
Does anyone know the identity of the aristocrat ( a duchess I believe) for whom Mozart "auditioned" for a post in her household? I recall reading that in a letter to his father, Mozart complained that during his performance of his own variations on the "Menuet de Fischer" the company ignored him, kept on talking, and the instrument was wretched and out of tune. It was during this visit, he was offered a position as organist at the Versailles chapel ( I have no idea whether the queen was involved in the offer); however, he turned it down. (Someone with the political acumen of a Lully would have taken that opportunity to get his foot in the door and would shortly have been running the entire musical establishment. That was not his desire obviously.) / Mozart wrote quite a lot of music during this visit. Much of it, such as the symphony for the Concert Spirituel, was naturally aimed to please French taste (which he denigrated); however, a cabal prevented his writing an opera. At this time, his friend and earlier influence J.C. Bach was in Paris writing "Amadis des Gaules" which was performed with Marie-Antoinette in attendance in January 1779, after Mozart's departure. Gluck left Paris that year for good after many triumphs but fed up with the politics, hostilities, and fickleness of those whose real agenda had little to do with music.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]