Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Music and Opera 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Music and Opera
Does anyone know who she particularly liked to listen to and her favorite operas?

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Music and Opera
I would strongly suggest you run a search on these topics to see whether they have been discussed before.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

has this exact topic been discussed before? really?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:59 am
Royalty
Royalty

Well, yes it has, actually.

http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=651&hilit=opera
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=996&p=15024&hilit=opera#p15024
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=247&hilit=opera
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=497&hilit=opera

Does anyone know how to shorten the URL so that you just see the "view topic.php..." bit?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

well, still. you dont need to post here then if you feel like this a redundent.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Just trying to be helpful, that is all. There is no need for a personal crusade against me.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i dont have one against you.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:27 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Délicate fleur

It's no crusade against you, I think that one of the problems with e-mail , forums, chat rooms, is that you can't hear the person.
So your response,"I would strongly suggest you run a search on these topics to see whether they have been discussed before."
comes across as," You need to use the search so you don't bother us with a redundant post." Which, especially for a person newer to this board, is well, rude. With it coming across that way, that's why annies sis felt the need to stand up for me. Which I thank you for very very much!! To be honest, I didn't even know there was a search option here. Then numerous times when I do use a search, I get tossed to Google. So I am weary of many of them.
I see your post where you say you were just trying to be helpful, and I appreciate you posting the links!! If I may, a more helpful response would be something along the lines of," You are definitely not the first to wonder, here are a couple of links, and you can also use the search option to find the other threads on this."
It just sounds like less of an attack and more of someone being helpful. I hope all this makes sense as I really don't want to argue. There is to much to learn from each other and fighting just puts a stop to that. Hope this explains why the reactions were what they were. Cheers.

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
She was friends with one composer named Glouch. I think he might've been from Austria and an old music teacher for her if I remember correctly. I'm listening to The Journey right now by Antonia Frasier on her, which I'm sure some of you have read on here. Right now, she went over MA's pregnancy with Marie-Therese and how at the end of her pregnancy Glouch came and cheered her up greatly. Frasier was also saying how MA had heard Mozart when he was little and now 22 he comes to the court of Versailled hoping to make it big, doesn't make the right connections and ends up leaving in dismay. Apparently there was some big feud also among the courtiers (because what else would they do lol) in which they backed two different composers. I think Glouch was one of them. I believe it had to do with nationalistic intrigues. Who knows.

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thats quite interesting!

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:39 pm
Royalty
Royalty

polignacpetals wrote:
Apparently there was some big feud also among the courtiers (because what else would they do lol) in which they backed two different composers. I think Glouch was one of them. I believe it had to do with nationalistic intrigues. Who knows.

This was the big war between the Glückists and the Piccinnists. Of course we know who Antoinette supported. It was not so much a national intrigue as a clash between the reformist style of Glück and the traditional, florid Italianate style of Piccinni. Politics may've been involved to some extent.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hm… I have one song named Profundis in my mp3 player by Gluck. I really like it.
Can you give me some info about him?

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:25 am
Royalty
Royalty

Christoph Willibald Ritter von Gluck (born 2 July 1714 Erasbach, Upper Palatinate; died 15 November 1787 in Vienna) was a composer of the 18th century, most noted for his operatic works. After many years at the Habsburg court at Vienna, Gluck brought about the practical reform of opera's dramaturgical practices that many intellectuals had been campaigning for over the years. With a series of radical new works in the 1760s, among them Orfeo ed Euridice and Alceste, he broke the stranglehold that Metastasian opera seria had enjoyed for much of the century.

The strong influence of French opera in these works encouraged Gluck to move to Paris, which he did in November 1773. Fusing the traditions of Italian opera and the French national genre into a new synthesis, Gluck wrote eight operas for the Parisian stages. One of the last of these, Iphigénie en Tauride, was a great success and is generally acknowledged to be his finest work. Though he was extremely popular and widely credited with bringing about a revolution in French opera, Gluck's mastery of the Parisian operatic scene was never absolute, and after the poor reception of his Echo et Narcisse, he left Paris in disgust and returned to Vienna to live out the remainder of his life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluck

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:03 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thanks for posting that!! :)

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you Delicate fleur!