Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 *Bathing~Bathrooms~Hygiene* 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: *Bathing~Bathrooms~Hygiene*
Delilah wrote:
Did you know that Louis XIV had only about 40 baths during his entire life?

Where did you get that information? I think that hygiene habits improved a lot in the late 18th century (not for today standards but way better from Louis XIV reign).

Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:58 pm
It's a well-known fact. I think I've read it in some book. Besides, my history teacher at high school said that a couple of times.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:35 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Not to dispute you, but my history teacher in high school also said that MA said "let them eat cake". So HS teachers aren't always the most accurate sources of information.

Now, my college French Civics professor knew MA never said it!

~ Marie Antoinette to Marie Theresa, 11 November, 1780

http://WalltoWallPaintball.com

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:37 pm
First of all, I also said that I've read the fact somewhere. It is also well known that people in the 17th and at the beginning of the 18th century did not have a bath so often because they didn't know or weren't aware of how important hygiene was. They started to have baths regularly in the Enlightenment period, I think.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Delilah wrote:
First of all, I also said that I've read the fact somewhere. It is also well known that people in the 17th and at the beginning of the 18th century did not have a bath so often because they didn't know or weren't aware of how important hygiene was. They started to have baths regularly in the Enlightenment period, I think.

Yes, but I have to disagree about the smell still existing today. I take it you have never visited Versailles, because if so, you would think otherwise.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
No, I've never visited Versailles, but those who did told me so.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Delilah wrote:
No, I've never visited Versailles, but those who did told me so.

I wonder what Versailles they were visiting, this is the first year since I was an infant that I have not been to Versailles.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
I don't know. And I don't think they would lie or make it up. Maybe some rooms really smelled bad, maybe it was just the wallpapers. I mean, it's an old palace. Of course it has a certain smell like every other!

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Delilah wrote:
I don't know. And I don't think they would lie or make it up. Maybe some rooms really smelled bad, maybe it was just the wallpapers. I mean, it's an old palace. Of course it has a certain smell like every other!

Well, with al the restorations, I have to doubt it.
Also, since they are teachers, you might ask when they have visited, they could've before I went...

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
It was my teacher and her friend. Since I don't go to high school any more, I can't ask her.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:18 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Sure you can! I talk to my high school teachers all the time, and I graduated 10 years ago!

~ Marie Antoinette to Marie Theresa, 11 November, 1780

http://WalltoWallPaintball.com

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:20 pm
I'm not in contact with her for a long time.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Delilah wrote:
I'm not in contact with her for a long time.

Oh. :(

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Delilah wrote:
It is also well known that people in the 17th and at the beginning of the 18th century did not have a bath so often

I agree, just I am interested in your sources since I am unable to find any book with details about the 18th century hygiene habits. I thought that you had maybe read somewhere that Louis XIV had only 40 baths in his life. :angel5:

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
Delilah wrote:
It is also well known that people in the 17th and at the beginning of the 18th century did not have a bath so often

I agree, just I am interested in your sources since I am unable to find any book with details about the 18th century hygiene habits. I thought that you had maybe read somewhere that Louis XIV had only 40 baths in his life. :angel5:

I would also like to know!

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next