Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 *Bathing~Bathrooms~Hygiene* 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: *Bathing~Bathrooms~Hygiene*
Poor servants, they had to clean the chamber pots and bring them to their masters. :?

Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
Poor servants, they had to clean the chamber pots and bring them to their masters. :?

But that is what they got paid for!

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Marija, I happened to stumble upon this amazing blog post on hygiene, it is very good! http://historyundressed.blogspot.com/2008/07/history-of-hygiene-bathing-teeth.html

Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:30 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, this was interesting.

B.O. – What is this, I am seeing it for couple of times in the texts about the hygiene but I can’t find the meaning??

Elizabeth I, is said to have had a bath once a month. She herself also restored the bath houses in Bath, England.
I am keen to think that this is not so bad because than, naturally, things would improve until the late 18th century, so people bathed maybe more often in one month. But this is more my wish than a fact…

It is said that Beau Brummel bathed every day, and made this more popular among the aristocrats. He believed men should smell clean, without the use of perfumes.
Who was he? The last name is familiar but my mind is blocked. :oops: When did he live?

*The first dentures, gold crowns, and porcelain teeth, were constructed in the 1700’s.
* 1790 brought about the dental foot engine, similar to the foot pedal of a spinning wheel, it rotated a drill for cleaning out cavaties.
* The first dental chair was made in the late 1700’s.

Nice.

There is a story during the late 17th and early 18th century, that an Italian woman created a white powder for the face, which was called Aqua Toffana, or sold as “Manna di San Nicola.” Unfortunately, the makeup was made of arsenic…but on purpose. You see this makeup was sold under the guise of a cosmetic when in fact it was made and sold to women who wished their husbands dead. Over 600 hundred men died, most likely from kissing the faces of their wives. Toffana was executed after the Roman authorities forced their way into the church where she’d sought sanctuary from the charges held against her.

No comment. :idea:

There is a story of a famous courtesan, Catherine "Kitty" Maria Fisher who died in 1767 from overuse of the whitener.
So she died that way? I knew about that story but I didn’t know the person involved. I saw some portraits of her.

Foot-binding, dear Lord…

Attachments:
File comment: History Undressed
History can be quite fascinating, sexy, intriguing and all together delicious. Let's peel away the layers...
-I love it!

Lagrenee_Louis_mars_and_venus.jpg
Lagrenee_Louis_mars_and_venus.jpg [ 44.4 KiB | Viewed 2593 times ]

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

BO is the body odor, produced by the body, such as sweat from the arm pits.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Beau Brummell was a Regency era dandy, credited with introducing and establishing as fashion the modern man's suit, worn with a tie. He claimed to take five hours to dress, and recommended that boots be polished with champagne. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau_Brummell

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, how chic! :D

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you both! :angel8:

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie Antoinette and Madame DuBarry both had a Toilette Anglaise, but I have not seen one for Louis XVI, but it is said that he had one.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don’t like Brummell's style…too revolutionary…

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Comte de Provence wrote:
Marie Antoinette and Madame DuBarry both had a Toilette Anglaise, but I have not seen one for Louis XVI, but it is said that he had one.

In fact, I looked through all my Versailles floorplans and Could not find one for Louis!
I looked EVERYWHERE!

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Perhaps he never defecated inside? :shock: :lol:

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am starting to think that his was mobile...

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I'd like to say something on this subject. The flush toilet was invented in the 16th Century. Queen Elizabeth I of England had one. (She didn't like it because it made too much noise.) When we were discussing this same topic on another forum, one of our members was an English woman living in France, and we were curious about whether they had flush toilets at Versailles. We asked her to call up there and find out whether they had flush toilets. Whoever she talked to said no, they used chamber pots. However, I once saw a layout of the palace and there were latrines off to one side outside the palace (I believe near the king's apartments), quite large ones in fact. I suspect most of the people living in the palace used those. There were thousands of people living at Versailles, and that would mean a lot of pots to empty. It was better to have latrines. There was also a cesspool somewhere near the stables. The chamber pot in a chair was also used; in England it was called a "close stool," and there was actually a gentleman of the stool, a nobleman whose job it was to empty it. For lesser people, the pots were placed behind a screen for privacy. One of the indignities forced on Marie Antoinette occurred as her executioner appeared to take her to the guillotine. She asked to relieve herself and she was forced to use the chamber pot in full view of the guards and the executioner.

I once saw a clever latrine in a castle in the Loire Valley. There was a cistern on the roof of one of the turrets, which was large enough to drive a horse and carriage up to. All along the sides of the winding "road" to the top was a ledge with toilet seats on it. The holes were used, then water from the cistern was washed down a gully beneath the seats. This type of toilet has been in use since Roman times.

Total immersion bathing as we know it did not come into use until the 19th Century. Marie Antoinetter was way ahead of her time in this and not many people enjoyed the priviledge. It was simply too much work to heat the water, fill the tub, and then empty it. But even occasionally in inns, a visitor would order a bath drawn. People generally took what we would call a sponge bath every day, using basins and pitchers that are still around today with plants in them. People have always tried to stay as clean as they could, but nowadays everyone wants to put down what people did in the past and make it seem as bad as possible. It makes us look so much better to ourselves. Back then, they did not have deodorants, so those perfumes mentioned came into play. People also carried around pomanders to sniff in case they ran into bad odors.

The white makeup that was used was made of lead, and it inadvertently caused many a premature death. Patches were very fashionable and came in shapes of stars, crescents, and other things. Smallpox scars could be horrendous. One lady in Louis XIV's time was forced to leave court after smallpox ate the nose right off her face. They did have lice in those huge hairdos, and the combs and picks you see in pictures sticking out were there to stab and scratch at the lice. Although people washed, I don't believe anyone washed their hair. I haven't read of anyone washing their hair until the 19th Century. But you wonder about the powder and pomades they put into it. It must have been a gooey mess.

They washed their linens and cottons, if cotton was used, and kept them very clean. But they were unable to wash satins, velvets, and wools and we still don't today. They have to be drycleaned, a process yet on the horizon. Most women, but not court dress of course, wore cotton aprons all the time to protect their clothes. Marie Antoinette preferred muslin, which was a light cotton material, and I imagine the ease with which it could be kept fresh and clean was a factor in her preference.

Although hygiene standards were not then what they are now, respectable people were not filthy or dirty.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:52 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie Antoinette had an english stlye toilet. I know because I've seen it. A servant, on the attic level would open a valve, releasing water down a pipe, that cleared out the bassin. The bassin drained to the Cour de la Reine, and through the sewer system.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next