Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 *Bathing~Bathrooms~Hygiene* 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: *Bathing~Bathrooms~Hygiene*
Marija Vera wrote:
Hellou_Librorum wrote:
Perhaps surgeons or doctor's records if they exist?

From them I know about Louis XIII early days, from a doctor record that was quoted in one book.

What did it say?

Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have posted that on the topic The Real Versailles. I will find that post and repost it here. :biggrin:

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
I have posted that on the topic The Real Versailles. I will find that post and repost it here. :biggrin:

Alright :]

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here it is (sorry for the poor translation, I have translated this lines from the book literally)-

From the day he was born (Louis XIII (1601-1643)) to his 27th birthday Heroard was holding a pen (feather) as his first physician………No other text will show that physician's honesty: little body, head and face particularly changed because the bad terms of nourishment, bad nurses’ milk, giving him baby food to early (first was given to him on the 14th of October, he was only 17 days old), poor and unadjusted hygiene. Baby not pleasant to see, that is how little Louis XVIII appears in everyday descriptions of Heroard, with swollen eye-lids, “blemish on the skin” and “lichen” on his face, “leaking” behind his year, “spots”, “mange” (!?) that in January had “covered his whole head like a crown”……………………….However physic hygiene is not satisfying at all, the child was wiped, but did he lave, did he bath at all? In the first year of his life we find the word lave appearing only once, only once the word bathed …………During the following years, beside everyday notice “fixed hair, got dressed”, there are no words about completer hygiene at all. He washes his hands after every meal, on what is referring remark “clean hands”. “The court is incredibly dirty”, writes Philippe Erlanger. In Herorad’s Diary nothing denies this statement.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
Here it is (sorry for the poor translation, I have translated this lines from the book literally)-

From the day he was born (Louis XIII (1601-1643)) to his 27th birthday Heroard was holding a pen (feather) as his first physician………No other text will show that physician's honesty: little body, head and face particularly changed because the bad terms of nourishment, bad nurses’ milk, giving him baby food to early (first was given to him on the 14th of October, he was only 17 days old), poor and unadjusted hygiene. Baby not pleasant to see, that is how little Louis XVIII appears in everyday descriptions of Heroard, with swollen eye-lids, “blemish on the skin” and “lichen” on his face, “leaking” behind his year, “spots”, “mange” (!?) that in January had “covered his whole head like a crown”……………………….However physic hygiene is not satisfying at all, the child was wiped, but did he lave, did he bath at all? In the first year of his life we find the word lave appearing only once, only once the word bathed …………During the following years, beside everyday notice “fixed hair, got dressed”, there are no words about completer hygiene at all. He washes his hands after every meal, on what is referring remark “clean hands”. “The court is incredibly dirty”, writes Philippe Erlanger. In Herorad’s Diary nothing denies this statement.

Interesting, Thank you Marija!

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You’re welcome; I wish I knew more about the days of Louis XVI, these writings are not encouraging at all, even we are talking about the early 17th century. :(

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
You’re welcome; I wish I knew more about the days of Louis XVI, these writings are not encouraging at all, even we are talking about the early 17th century. :(

I do too. :[

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am presently dating one man who knows history very well (he studies it) so I may ask him unless the question is not too much for the third date! :lol:
I am joking, I will try to find out something more. :wink:

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
I am presently dating one man who knows history very well (he studies it) so I may ask him unless the question is not too much for the third date! :lol:
I am joking, I will try to find out something more. :wink:

No more engagement? :oops: :cry: :evil: :x :shock: :help: :disgust: :banghead: :argue: :angryfire: :angry5:

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don’t see the ring on my finger yet! :idea:

Comte, you are the love of my life, I would never cheat on you! :angel5:

:king: :queen: :love:

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
I don’t see the ring on my finger yet! :idea:

Comte, you are the love of my life, I would never cheat on you! :angel5:

:king: :queen: :love:

Awh(: yay!
:love:

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:wave:

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Atleast now Versailles has public restrooms.
Unfortunately that occupy apartments... :evil:

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Better that than using a chamber pot behind the paravan (screen).
That system with chamber pots must have been very unpleasant.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
Better that than using a chamber pot behind the paravan (screen).
That system with chamber pots must have been very unpleasant.

Indeed. :drunk:

Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next