Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Marie Antoinette's mother 
Post Marie Antoinette's mother
So I'm wondering what kind of relationship MA and her mother had? They never saw eachother again after she was wed correct? Looking at a map of Versaille and Austria, it doesn't seem to be that far away from eachother, could they have not visited one another :angel10: ?

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:54 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Marie Antoinette's mother
Maria Theresa and Marie Antoinette never saw each other again after MA left Austria for France. Her mother did keep a close eye on things through spies she had reporting back to her and through constant letters she and MA wrote to each other. Maria Thereas repeatedly warned Marie Antoinette that her behavior would bring her trouble. MA was very distraught over her Mother's death in 1780. Later, when she was imprisoned, the words of Maria Theresa must have haunted Marie Antoinette - her Mother was right.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:49 am
Thanks for your quick reply...it seems sad that she never really had a chance to see her family again. She was basically taken away when she was wed, I assume she never went to her mother's funeral.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:11 pm
Royalty
Royalty

No, Marie Antoinette did not attend any funeral for her Mother. There are a few books in which the letters between MA and Maria Theresa have been published. I have one by Olivier Bernier - translated to English. These letters are quite interesting and allow a glimpse into the dynamic between Mother and Daughter. The only family member MA ever did see again was her brother Joseph who visited Versailles in 1777.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The simplest answer is that if you ever thought YOUR mother was controlling and overbearing, read Marie-Therese's letters to and about her daughter to see how it's done.

To her credit, she did rule - really, really rule - a country while bearing and raising - really, really raising - sixteen children. And if she never actually went to war, "Maria Theresa asserted that, had she not been almost always pregnant, she would have gone into battle herself."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Th%C ... of_Austria

I don't doubt for a minute that that's true.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:17 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Lilly wrote:
The only family member MA ever did see again was her brother Joseph who visited Versailles in 1777.

What about Marie Christine?

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

jimcheval wrote:
The simplest answer is that if you ever thought YOUR mother was controlling and overbearing, read Marie-Therese's letters to and about her daughter to see how it's done.

To her credit, she did rule - really, really rule - a country while bearing and raising - really, really raising - sixteen children. And if she never actually went to war, "Maria Theresa asserted that, had she not been almost always pregnant, she would have gone into battle herself."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Th%C ... of_Austria

I don't doubt for a minute that that's true.

Was not the Hapsburg motto in Latin translated as, "Others have to wage war [to succeed] but you, fortunate Hapsburg, marry!" (Fraser, 'The Journey', p.31)

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:28 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks Delicate Fleur - I had forgotten about her! Marie Christine showed up in France after Marie Antoinette gave birth to Sophie. It was apparently not the best visit.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:52 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Marie Christine was Maria Theresia's favorite child who Marie Antoinette didn't love that much, wasn't she?
She was the one who wasn't forced to marry a stranger heir. She had the chance to marry to the Duke of Teschen, her bolved fiancé... great luck!
Does anybody know why did Maria Theresia prefer her to other daughters?

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:30 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Maria-Christina was apparently the most like Maria-Theresa; she was also born on the Empress' birthday, so the Empress probably felt a bond to her that she didn't share with her other children. Very intelligent, Maria-Christina knew how to manipulate her parents, especially her mother, in a way that the other children couldn't. She took advantage of the death of her father to get her mother to let her marry the Duke of Teschen.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:59 am
Royalty
Royalty

Lilly wrote:
Thanks Delicate Fleur - I had forgotten about her! Marie Christine showed up in France after Marie Antoinette gave birth to Sophie. It was apparently not the best visit.

No it wasn't. She wasn't invited to the Petit Trianon.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:25 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Her youngest brother Max was another visitor.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:21 pm
Royalty
Royalty

My gosh, you certainly are also right! I really did speak too soon on that one, didn't I? Ha!
I think that because these visits get glossed over much of the time, they just slipped my mind. Joseph's visit stands out a little more.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:59 am
Royalty
Royalty

Arietta wrote:

Oh yes, that was a disaster as he was very brusque and crass.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:28 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Arietta wrote:

Oh yes, that was a disaster as he was very brusque and crass.

He came under the false name (they so often did!) and created a mess not respecting the rules of etiquette and rank. That is how I understood. That didn't help the good image of the queen. They called him "the Arch fool". Joseph came twice, his first visit being far more interesting. :wink:

As for other visitors (not family related) I was surprised to find out that Emma Hamilton (great inspiration of Romney and later the mistress of lord Nelson) and her husband Sir William were received by the queen, he was Britain's ambassador to the court of Naples and she was a close friend to Maria Carolina, so the queen used this visit to send the letter to her sister (1791).

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next