Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Marie Antoinette's mother 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie Antoinette's mother
Elk wrote:
Only those who did not need to climb social ranks or make a political alliance could choose someone from the community around them who they felt a true affection for to settle down with.

I wouldn't even assume that. If a poor farmer knew another farmer who was just a bit better off, I'd guess there was pressure on his daughter to snag one of the latter's sons.

Certainly in the trades over and over one sees an apprentice marrying his master's widow. Which is to say, marrying the business she now owned.

If anything, people living at bare subsistence were probably less concerned with luxuries like "romance".

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:48 pm
i was wondering the same thing, did her mother force her to marry off so early ? i probss sound so dumb.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:53 pm
Noble
Noble

Lilly wrote:
Maria Theresa and Marie Antoinette never saw each other again after MA left Austria for France. Her mother did keep a close eye on things through spies she had reporting back to her and through constant letters she and MA wrote to each other. Maria Thereas repeatedly warned Marie Antoinette that her behavior would bring her trouble. MA was very distraught over her Mother's death in 1780. Later, when she was imprisoned, the words of Maria Theresa must have haunted Marie Antoinette - her Mother was right.

Your right.Also, she constantly pressured her to give an heir and gave her "tips" on how to seduce louis xvi even though it was louis's fault that they didn't consummate the marriage.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Marie Louise wrote:
Lilly wrote:
Maria Theresa and Marie Antoinette never saw each other again after MA left Austria for France. Her mother did keep a close eye on things through spies she had reporting back to her and through constant letters she and MA wrote to each other. Maria Thereas repeatedly warned Marie Antoinette that her behavior would bring her trouble. MA was very distraught over her Mother's death in 1780. Later, when she was imprisoned, the words of Maria Theresa must have haunted Marie Antoinette - her Mother was right.

Your right.Also, she constantly pressured her to give an heir and gave her "tips" on how to seduce louis xvi even though it was louis's fault that they didn't consummate the marriage.

That has always been my thought, but I was just reading David Andress and he wrote:

Quote:
Although hectoring letters from Maria-Therese insisted there could be no physical fault with her daughter, other high-level diplomatic and medical correspondence made it clear that the well-endowed Louis was just too much of a gentleman (albeit a sexually naive one) to force himself on a young an slightly built life, whose hymen painfully resisted penetration.

His source for this is Simone Bertière's Marie-Antoinette l'insoumise. Right off the bat, a red flag should be raised: Andress is citing a secondary source rather than a primary one (primary sources don't seem to be highly revered among Anglophone historians of the Revolution, alas) but the argument intrigued me. I don't know the details behind Bertière's contention but I'd certainly be interested in knowing if there's any merit.

Does anyone else know anything about this? (For that matter, I guess this thread wasn't the proper forum for my question...)

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3