Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Theatre of the Entresol 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Theatre of the Entresol
Hello, everyone! In the memoirs of Madame Campan, there is a story of Dauphine Marie Antoinette's secret theatrical performances that she performed with the Dauphin's brothers and sisters. Her memoirs state: "The young Princesses were desirous to infuse animation into their circle of associates by something useful as well as pleasant. They adopted the plan of learning and performing all the best plays of the French theatre. The Dauphin was the only spectator. The three Princesses, the two brothers of the King, and Messieurs Campan, father and son, were the sole performers, but they endeavoured to keep this amusement as secret as an affair of State; they dreaded the censure of Mesdames, and they had no doubt that Louis XV would forbid such pastimes if he knew of them. They selected a cabinet in the entresol which nobody had occasion to enter for their performance… The chief pleasure of this amusement consisted in all the costumes being elegant and accurate." The account goes on to tell how Monsieur Campan accidentally surprised another attendant while in costume, and the performances then came to an end for fear of being further discovered.

May I ask you all for some help with some questions related to the performances? First, I'm curious to know if there are any other accounts of these performances to be found.

Second, I am wondering just how secret is secret in this case. I assume the costume designers might be in the know, and would there not be guards following the Dauphin and the Dauphine who would also know the secret?

Third, do you happen to have any idea of what year the performances were started and what year they came to an end?

Thank you so much for any help you might provide!

Source:
Campan, Jeanne Louise Henriette. The Private Life of Marie Antoinette, Queen of France and Navarre: Autobiographical Memoirs of Madame Campan. Vol. 1. Comps. MM. Barrière and Maigné. London: Bentley, 1883.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:33 pm
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Theatre of the Entresol
History Detective wrote:
Hello, everyone! In the memoirs of Madame Campan, there is a story of Dauphine Marie Antoinette's secret theatrical performances that she performed with the Dauphin's brothers and sisters. Her memoirs state: "The young Princesses were desirous to infuse animation into their circle of associates by something useful as well as pleasant. They adopted the plan of learning and performing all the best plays of the French theatre. The Dauphin was the only spectator. The three Princesses, the two brothers of the King, and Messieurs Campan, father and son, were the sole performers, but they endeavoured to keep this amusement as secret as an affair of State; they dreaded the censure of Mesdames, and they had no doubt that Louis XV would forbid such pastimes if he knew of them. They selected a cabinet in the entresol which nobody had occasion to enter for their performance… The chief pleasure of this amusement consisted in all the costumes being elegant and accurate." The account goes on to tell how Monsieur Campan accidentally surprised another attendant while in costume, and the performances then came to an end for fear of being further discovered.

May I ask you all for some help with some questions related to the performances? First, I'm curious to know if there are any other accounts of these performances to be found.

Second, I am wondering just how secret is secret in this case. I assume the costume designers might be in the know, and would there not be guards following the Dauphin and the Dauphine who would also know the secret?

Third, do you happen to have any idea of what year the performances were started and what year they came to an end?

Thank you so much for any help you might provide!

Source:
Campan, Jeanne Louise Henriette. The Private Life of Marie Antoinette, Queen of France and Navarre: Autobiographical Memoirs of Madame Campan. Vol. 1. Comps. MM. Barrière and Maigné. London: Bentley, 1883.

I have read a few years back on a play about a peasant who marries an impovrished prince, i believe it was started on september 3 1767 and another one when she was freshly queen. I will try to find the book and will give you the name if i happen to find it.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Theatre of the Entresol
Marie Louise wrote:
I will try to find the book and will give you the name if i happen to find it.

Thank you so much, Marie Louise--I appreciate it!

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]