Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinette Meeting Louis Auguste 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Marie Antoinette Meeting Louis Auguste
Hi, everyone! As I am attempting to do some research about the day Marie Antoinette first met Louis Auguste, I am hoping that you might help me with some details. All I'm finding in my searches so far are very short sentences that say something like, "Marie Antoinette met Louis for the first time at Versailles and a few hours later their wedding ceremony took place." Do any of you happen to have information relating to this first meeting? For instance, where at Versailles did the meeting take place? What was said? Who was present? What did they wear? Any details are oh so welcome!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Marie Antoinette Meeting Louis Auguste
Louis XV decided rather than wait for MA to arrive at Versailles - they would ride out to meet her. On May 14th 1770 - the King and Dauphin and the Princes of the blood along with others of importance, waited at the Forest of Compiegne. (Louis XV had inquired about the fullness of her breasts before she arrived.) Upon her arrival she warmly greeted the King and this is when she met the Dauphin for the first time.
The Dauphin, according to etiquette, kissed her on the cheek. Two days after this first meeting, they were married in the chapel at Versailles.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:02 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Marie Antoinette Meeting Louis Auguste
Thank you, Lilly--I knew there had to be more to it than that--and in a completely different location, no less! I appreciate your help!

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]