Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Loneliness and Maturity 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Loneliness and Maturity
Often when I think of Marie Antoinette's life in Versailles, I often wonder about her loneliness? Despite having her friends, I think there must have been times she, as well as Louis XVI must have felt literally the world on their shoulders in particularly right before the revolution, with noone to really comprehend or understand how it felt to be them.

With all the rumours, with all the gossip and lies that would constantly be spread through Versailles, it is no wonder Antoinette often sought solitude in her Petit Trianon. Being surrounded by many people (especially those you cannot trust), is more lonelier than being by yourself, and I think Antoinette really showed this with wanting away from Versailles.

Can we all relate a little however to this, where we have felt surrounded by people, friends who were not really friends; who we do not really trust, and wish we could be somewhere else?

Either way, as I mature and grow, I feel (well I hope atleast) more and more understanding of Antoinette and why she did the things she did, perhaps at times the way she felt about things. When I first started reading of Antoinette, all I saw was the prettyness of Versailles (still do), but now I see the other side so much more clearly, the loneliness that she most likely would have had to face most of the time from being a young girl till her adulthood.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Loneliness and Maturity
I agree with you on that, I can relate to her loneliness. I've felt it from my teens and still do, but not as much now. I felt the way about the church I go to as she did with Versailles. I disappeared for awhile, and when I came back, the loneliness just gets worst, the environment there feels cold when I shouldn't be. Anyways, it doesn't matter anymore because I enjoy the presence of my daughter, my husband, my best friend, and of course my preoccupied obsession with the Queen, which is pretty much all I need.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:46 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I see a;; the photos out there of Versailles, and love to look at it's beauty and go over some of the garishness of miscellaneous items, still, I can't help but think of her standing in the Hall of Mirrors loking at how huge it is and how small she is comparatively. Even while spending time with friends, the rooms and hallways there are so large, I think anyone would feel lonely at times. Then adding on top all that was going on, being alone in Versailles must have been awful!

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Please keep in mind that Antoinette spent her entire life in large palaces, surrounded by hundreds of courtiers and servants. I don't think this would make her feel isolated. I think she craved privacy, more than anything else. The Petit Trianon represented a place to escape, to be alone, or with a few friends rather than crowds of people. Louis XVI escaped to his attic workshops in the same way. For public figures like them, privacy was a great luxury. I'm not sure this is the same as being lonely.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

You make a very good point. That's all she would have known. I've always thought that there must be some sort of loneliness when you live in a place where you always have to put on airs. From her ladies to those visiting and touring Versailles, she had to be a certain way. Especially with the rules set up at Versailles, I don't think it could have been very comfortable for her in that aspect. Making her Petit Trianon all the more loved and desired. Queen Mare Antoinette could just be Marie Antoinette there.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think being lonely is quite different from being alone. Indeed, Marie-Antoinette was basically never alone, and she had a real crave for intimacy. But, paradoxically enough, in a way, she suffered from loneliness at the very beginning of her life in Versailles and from about 1789 when her friends began to leave her. She had been indeed accustomed to very close friendship, with her sister Charlotte, she had trouble finding again, even with Mme de Lamballe or Polignac. I feel she discovered suddenly hypocrisy and superficiality to a high degree, which is quite a hard experience. I also think she was homesick, and remained so for a long time : she wept buckets learning that Maria Josepha would be able to see her relatives again, for she was doomed never to see her homeland and mother again. That was the fate of most princesses, but that does not mean it was not hard; what is more, mentalities were changing. Her attitude entirely reflects the fact that she never felt utterly "at home" in Versailles, and, more than sexual frustration, it explains to me her instability, that makes me think of Elisabeth of Austria endless travels.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]