Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Revolutionary Appearances at the Coronation 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Revolutionary Appearances at the Coronation
Just thought I'd put up few anecdotes surrounding two future French Revolutionaries' whereabouts during the royal coronation.

A little before the ceremony, teenaged Georges Jacques Danton boasted to his classmates, "I want to see how a king is made!" What Danton wanted Danton got and he played hookie and took a carriage from his school in Troyes to Reims to try and catch a glimpse of the ceremony. He probably didn't see much. When he got home to an incensed faculty, he justified his truancy by declaring that he only skipped school to research an essay on kingship. The teachers probably didn't much believe him, but he still wrote the essay and they were so impressed with it that it won a prize. Unfortunately, the essay hasn't been preserved for posterity (though even if it had, Danton's handwriting was notoriously so bad that we probably wouldn't be able to decipher it anyhow). So a big thing happened and a teenage boy skipped school to witness it. The more things change the more they stay the same. It wouldn't even be worth mentioning but for the fact that Danton would one day organize the otherthrow of August 10th.

The second story was sort of discussed in the Maximilien Robespierre thread, but I think it's been a few years so I'll repeat it.

When Louis XVI was recently crowned, he and his wife stopped briefly at the school Louis le Grande and heard a Latin speech recited by a teenage Maximilien Robespierre. Accounts vary, but the general consensus is that Robespierre was kept waiting in the rain for a few hours for the royal family, and either they did not even come out of their carriage to hear it, left in the middle, or left abruptly afterwards. Future revolutionaries Camille Desmoullins and Freron were also, in all probability, in the crowd of students that waited with Robespierre to greet the new king and queen.

Last edited by Vive on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:12 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Revolutionary Appearances at the Coronation
I did not know any of this, very interesting info!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:29 am
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Revolutionary Appearances at the Coronation
Robespierre was very intelligent and I believe he did win a contest and was able to greet louis and Marie but they left briskly after the greeting because of the rain and yes, accounts may vary :think:

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]