Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinette children 
Noble
Noble

Post Marie Antoinette children
Hello, i would like to ask a question, I was reading somewhere this last letter that Marie Antoinette had written to her sister or sister-in law, she was asking for her to look after her children, did Marie know that her son had already died? they said he was very sickly and she could hear him crying the the cell under hers, but did she ever know? did this son die after Marie?

Candy

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:18 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Marie Antoinette children
This letter you speak of was Marie Antoinette's last letter she wrote in the Concierge before her execution.
Her children were both still alive at the time of her death in October 1793. Her son had been separated from her before she was moved to the Concierge for her trial. The letter was written to Madame Elizabeth, her sister-in-law, and the children's Aunt.
Little Louis died in June of 1795 in the Temple prison almost two years after his mother died.
This last letter of Marie Antoinette was never delivered to Madame Elizabeth and was found under Robespierre's mattress after he was executed.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:17 pm
Noble
Noble

Thank you Lilly for clearing things up for me.

candy

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:07 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Quote:
This last letter of Marie Antoinette was never delivered to Madame Elizabeth and was found under Robespierre's mattress after he was executed.

And yet, I've never actually read this in a biography of Robespierre. The Thermidorians would have had a field day with that one had it been true. I have, however, read that it was intercepted by Fouquier-Tinville in his official capacity as Public Prosecutor and he did not pass it on, which would make much more sense.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:05 am
Royalty
Royalty

Lilly wrote:

I also read it.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Anouk wrote:
Lilly wrote:

I also read it.

me too :glasses:

reine :angel6:

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:17 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Where, might I ask? Because I have never seen this in a biography of Robespierre and you'd think that would be a fairly important thing to note.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:15 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Well then I suggest you to look after one of the biographies of Marie Antoinette :lol: about this
Otherwise this can be found in "Fatal Friendship" by Stanley Loomis.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]