Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Complot de l' oeillet 
Noble
Noble

Post Complot de l' oeillet
Bonjour tout le monde! :)

I am currently watching a french documentary on Marie-Antoinette and i learnt a new details i never knew about. In fact, it is said that when Marie-Antoinette was detained at the Conciergerie, there was a plot called ''le complot de l' oeillet'', the Carnation Plot. One night, a mysterious man dromped and carnation in M-A's cell and in the flower's petals there was a message which informed the queen about a last attempt to save her. She then wrote an answer on a piece of paper with a pin but the message was intercepeted by the revolutionaries. This event will be used against her at her trial.

Does anybody have further information on this plot?

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:04 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Complot de l' oeillet
Alexander Dumas wrote a novel about this plot, called the Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge.

I've never read it, but Dumas historical fiction is quite good and can provide some details.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:23 am
Royalty
Royalty

Baronne, you can read about this plot in Zweig's book that is not the best on MA but I like it because of its copious style!

This man you've told about was Alexandre de Rougeville and was let into the Conciergerie by Michonis, a prison inspector. Rougeville dropped a carnation behind the stove while he was visiting Antoinette... You know, what happened then: she found the message but her answer was detected... Michonis was guillotined, Rougeville moved to Reims where he died in 1814.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_ ... Rougeville -about Rougeville

http://www.freebase.com/view/guid/9202a ... 00090a3887 -about Michnois

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18006 -here you can download Le chevalier de Maison-Rouge by Dumas, it is French

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:17 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I've read about this in Stefan Zweigs book Marie Antoinette

reine :angel6:

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:03 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Right now I'm reading The Last Days of Marie Antoinette ( my sister's Christmas gift to me) and it talks quite a bit about the plot..It is really interesting,I highly recommend that book.:)

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:31 pm
Noble
Noble

Thank you so much! I'm currently reading the memoirs of Mme Campan on Marie-Antoinette.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have seen the tiny scrap of paper on which Marie Antoinette replies to M. de Rougeville 'je me fie à vous, je viendrai"....I trust you, I will come. It is written in pinpricks, she had no writing material. Emotive scrap of paper :( ...I saw it at the National Archives, the wonderful Hotel de Soubise, PARIS 4th district.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 pm
Royalty
Royalty

We have to see it by any means! If it was be exhibited in the Conciergerie, I'd seen it... :(
Whatever, here is a good reason why to go to Paris again!

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]