Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 rosalie Lamorliere the Queens last servant 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post rosalie Lamorliere the Queens last servant
I have done quite a lot of research regarding this young woman who served the Queen with compassion in the Conciergerie and found her tomb erected by her daughter. Here is a link. I have some PDF books downloaded from an American University including Lenotre and found an interview taken with her. Unfortunately when my old machine packed in I lost all my books and now have to start downloading all over again. Rosalie died quite old which is a miracle considering that she looked after her queen so well and must have been in considerable danger.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... rliere.jpg

Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:51 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: rosalie Lamorliere the Queens last servant
I didn't know she was buried at the Pere Lachaise - it's a very beautiful and peaceful place. Have you found anything in your research about Rosalie that might not be so well known? Any in-depth details?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Hello Lilly, I found the book I wanted on a public domain at my work and downloaded about 6 pdf books by Lenotre (in between working) and joined them all up and searched for Lamorliere and found what I was looking for. It seems that when Rosalie was was given life accommodation in a hospital by the Duchesse of Angouleme where she was a cook, plus a very small pension which stopped at some point. She appeared to have become withdrawn and was reluctant to give the interview (she was about 50) at the time, but eventually she took the lady who wanted to speak to her up to her very tiny room and showed her a piece of fabric that had belonged to the Queen and which she treasured. There is also a statement by Madame Bault who was the Concierge's wife who took over when the Richards were dismissed. I didn't have too much time to read any of this but I can't find the site where these books are at home in my browser but will find it tomorrow at work (and not lose it again) and post. The book I got was G Lenotre, the last days of Marie Antoinette. They are all free for download. You can buy the book of course which I found on Amazon I think but it costs a bomb. The memoires of Madame de Tourzel are also on this free site, and I could have kicked myself as I paid £20 for a paperback copy just before finding it on line. I also got Recollections of Leonard the Queen's hairdresser from the same place. I am now trying to find an e-reader that can read pdf scanned books but can't make head nor tail of what they can do. Some of them you have to download a paid for book from a special site. All I want is to sit in my bed at night and read my downloaded history books.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:20 pm
Royalty
Royalty

The ability to read books online is great! Did Rosalie marry and have children? Do you know what happened to the piece of fabric Rosalie possessed? I wonder if she could imagine how tenderly people would remember her for her kindness to the Queen.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:16 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Lilly wrote:
The ability to read books online is great! Did Rosalie marry and have children? Do you know what happened to the piece of fabric Rosalie possessed? I wonder if she could imagine how tenderly people would remember her for her kindness to the Queen.

Here is a link to to G Lenotres book "The last days of Marie Antoinette". Here you will find the statement made by Rosalie regarding when the Queen first arrived at the Conciergerie which I am sure all MA fans will have read but later on many years later when she was quite an old lady the lady who interviewed her wrote down how she met Rosalie and was invited up to Rosalies small room and was shown the piece of fabric which meant so much to this simple serving girl. Looking at the tomb which her family erected for her they must have thought a great deal of her. This Link I am sending is only the start, you can search under G Lenotre for more books and also French Revolution. Also don't forget to search for Madame Boult the Jailers wife.

http://www.archive.org/details/lastdays ... 00lenorich

Any problems you can contact me as I love this American site. Books are my favourite pastime. Oh I must get an e-reader or a very small computer to take to bed to read all this stuff. Maggie

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:16 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I have found a virtual tour of the cemetry of where Rosalie is buried. That is my weekends work to try to find her tomb.

http://www.pere-lachaise.com/

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:26 am
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks - I did read some of "The Last Days of Marie Antoinette" online.
I'm going to have to find a copy of this book. Her own recollections made Rosalie's account particularly interesting.
The Pere Lachaise link is cool too. On my first visit to Paris I spent an afternoon there. Many famous people are laid to rest there, but at that time, it was Jim Morrison I was looking for. Heloise and Abelard are together there as well.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:50 am
Noble
Noble

Good morning everybody. First of all, i'd like to excuse me for my english. I'm a french man and, as you know it, we are not very good for foreign languages.
Rosalie Lamorlière is dear to my heart. I've spend 9 years to work on this character, unfortunately unknown, of our french History. She is not buried in the Père Lachaise cemetery. The tomb is the Rosalie's daughter one where she is buried with her husband and other members of the Lacroix family.
Rosalie died at 80 years old in 1848 and was buried in a common grave int the Montparnasse cemetery. Her daughter, Marie-Rosalie, engraved a text for the memory of her mother who died alone in a poorhouse, l'Hospice des Incurables rue de Sèvres in Paris.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:51 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Hello D'Eon. Thank you for posting. Can you post as much information about Rosalie that you can because I too, am a little obsessed about finding out as much as possible about this brave girl. I was sorry to hear that Rosalie died alone in a poorhouse, she did not deserve this. Who did she marry? How many children did she have? G Lenotre in his book the last Days of Marie Antoinette stated that it was Madame Royale, the Duchesse of Angouleme who arranged for a small pension for Rosalie and entry into l'Hospice des Incurables where she may have been a cook. The terrible things that happened to the Queen must have had a very profound affect on Rosalie for the rest of her life.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:07 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Lilly wrote:
Thanks - I did read some of "The Last Days of Marie Antoinette" online.
I'm going to have to find a copy of this book. Her own recollections made Rosalie's account particularly interesting.
The Pere Lachaise link is cool too. On my first visit to Paris I spent an afternoon there. Many famous people are laid to rest there, but at that time, it was Jim Morrison I was looking for. Heloise and Abelard are together there as well.

Hello Lilly, althoughyou can read online, underneath the read online, there is a PDF dowload button, I have spent the last week downloading, I hope, all the books I lost and make no mistake they are all being copied to my hard disc. Do a search and you will find the Recollections of Leonard, the Queens hairdresser, Madame de Tourzel and many other books including Madame Campan, although I purchased her memoires years ago before the internet became a fountain of knowledge.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 pm
Noble
Noble

Rosalie was born 19th March 1768 in Breteuil ( about 100km in the north of Paris). Her father was a shoemaker. She had 6 brothers and sisters andher mother died when she was 12. She had to take care of her brothers and sisters. She lost a little sister too. Death was by her side very early in her life.
She didn't marry. She had one only girl whose father's name is mentionned " unknown". She had to abandon her daughter when she was born. Later, her daughter contracted a marriage in the bourgeoisie with a jeweller. Even if her daughter was not poor at all, she did not help Rosalie and let her liver the rest of her life in the poorhouse rue de Sèvres.
I've written a book last year about Rosalie but unfortunately, the book is in french and called Rosalie Lamorlière, dernière servante de Marie-Antoinette. The book have been published last summer. But i'm sorry, no translation in english is planned.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:40 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

D'eon where can I buy your book. My husband has fluent French he is an engineer and has worked in France. He will help me to translate.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:02 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks Maggie!
d'eon, I am sorry that there is no English translation of your work! So, you'll have to tell us all you can - Your English is very good. Thanks for any information you can give us!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:08 pm
Noble
Noble

To Maggie: you can buy the book on my editor's site http://www.leseditionsdupreau.fr/index. ... &Itemid=80
or on amazon i think.
To Lilly: I'm gonna try to answer to your questions and thank you for my english.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:27 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Hello d'eon I won't make a nuisance of myself but Rosalie kept a piece of fabric which had belonged to the Queen in the conciergerie. Do you know what it was, I think it may have been a hair ribbon. Until your book is delivered when I order it and I have had it translated I will now have an obsession about Rosalie. To speed up the process of translation I will probably scan your book and convert to a word document and then use babelfish to translate into English. The English is poor doing that but it can be tidied up. One other thing, does your book have any pictures of Rosalie. I just have to buy it. I felt very sad that Rosalie was neglected by her family who seemed to be quite financially well off. Oh and you appear to have a good command of English. Best wishes. Maggie

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next