Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Route to the Scaffold 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Route to the Scaffold
From reading many books did the Queen's tumbril cross the Pont de Change and then turn left into the Rue St Honore. It appears that the tumbrils carrying the prisoners to their terrible deaths took different routes as in the case of Madame Roland who had a friend on the Pont Neuf waiting to wave goodbye. Madame Roland must have passed her childhood house at that time.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:38 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Route to the Scaffold
A couple years ago, I was in Paris on the anniversary of the Queen's death. Baron invited me along on a walk of the route to the execution sight. We had a guide from the Marie Antoinette Association in Paris. It was incredibly moving to walk this route and actually imagine the Queen's last ride through Paris - complete with the balcony where David was positioned when he sketched MA in the tumbril. It was a day I'll never forget. Here is the route we walked - From the courtyard of the Conciergerie, we turned left to the Pont au Change and crossed over, then, turned left and walked a short distance on the right bank of the Seine, then turned right to the Rue du Roule - Rue du Roule up to Rue St. Honore' and left onto St. Honore' to the Rue Royale. Turn left at Rue Royale to the Place de Concorde. (If I have erred, Baron please correct me.)

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:42 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Lilly, Baron, do you have a photo of the window where David made his famous sketch? I was always interested about it. Does the building exist yet?

Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes it does as does the balcony he stood on.

I didn't take any photos.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]