Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinette on Court 
Noble
Noble

Post Marie Antoinette on Court
I have read some phrases about the judgment of Marie Antoinette. I would like to know more about it. I think she was a great women, Queen and Mother in her judgment!

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie Antoinette on Court
Do you want to know more about her judgment, trial or how people see her today and judge of her?
In the case I understood you correctly you are interested in the trial that started on 14 October 1793 after which Marie Antoinette was sentenced to death.
Marie Antoinette had less then one day to prepare for her trial. Most of the accusations were untrue, like they were based on rumors and pamphlets, attacking her more like person than the queen. Only one true accusation was for the betrayal because Marie Antoinette was indeed in contact with foreign courts, but revolutionary hadn’t had proofs for that back than. Letters of her correspondence that could condemn her were found much latter. The most shocking accusation was for the sexual molesting (terrible) of her son but after her great respond they didn’t insist on it more. Marie Antoinette was condemned to death only because she was hated, nothing more.
Marie Antoinette was executed by the guillotine on 16 October, on the great joy of the viewers. I am truly amazed with her dignity and power to rise beyond her misery; she suffered a lot, but still managed to remain proud and strong. You really need to be a great character to do that. I will risk exaggerating a lot and overstating, but I compare her faith with the faith of Christ. Forgive them God; they don’t know what they are doing.

Attachments:
File comment: Execution.
180px-Marie_Antoinette_Execution1.jpg
180px-Marie_Antoinette_Execution1.jpg [ 14.81 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]
File comment: Court.
13.jpg
13.jpg [ 91.07 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie Antoinette on Court
What strikes me is the great dignity MA always showed during her imprisonment and then her trial. Afetr all, I think, she had always lived among all kind of facilities, but nontheless she adapted to the new situation without comlaining. And at the trial she gave very intelligent answers. The line she followed (the only one she could follow) was to show that she had only acted as the faithful and subservient wife of the king, and so she couldn't be held responsible for what was done. It was the only way she could hope to escape death punishment. She answered all the accusations in a very coherent and sensible way. And when they told her about the absurd and vile accusation of having molested her son, she lost her temper only for a moment and said that it was not even worth answering, because it was an insult to the name of a mother. In the end, she felt hopeful, because her lawyers told her she had answered very well. But unluckily the sentence had been decded before the trial :(

Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]