Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 diamond necklace affair 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: diamond necklace affair
I believe she was. And she managed to get Rohan in trouble before he even knew it.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:28 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i know, i love it.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

She knew what she wanted and was able to get it. You have to admire that.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie Alice wrote:
She knew what she wanted and was able to get it. You have to admire that.

who wouldnt?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She was most probably having an affair with Rohan, and therefore knew what he was capable of! There were in fact two separate swindles...a first one where she used the famous Bosquet de Venus midnight meeting in the gardens of Versailles between the "Queen" (in reality Nicole Leguay) and Rohan as a preliminary to extort more than 120.000 pounds in "loans" for the Queen from him, and then months later a second and much larger scale swindle where she uses him as an innocent intermediary to get her hands on the necklace. There is some gossip as to whether or not the Queen was aware of this midnight meeting (and may even have witnessed it from the bushes!) though that seems pretty far fetched,even if she despised Rohan! However just how well did she know the Comtesse? There is some talk of papers having been found written by the Queen at the Comtesse's home in the country. This lady, a master swindler, obviously looked down on the blue blooded cardinal from one of France's noblest families as being in fact below her socially, her daughter of the Valois!! :wink:

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:57 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Now that you mention it, that's a bit ironic.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
She was most probably having an affair with Rohan, and therefore knew what he was capable of! There were in fact two separate swindles...a first one where she used the famous Bosquet de Venus midnight meeting in the gardens of Versailles between the "Queen" (in reality Nicole Leguay) and Rohan as a preliminary to extort more than 120.000 pounds in "loans" for the Queen from him, and then months later a second and much larger scale swindle where she uses him as an innocent intermediary to get her hands on the necklace. There is some gossip as to whether or not the Queen was aware of this midnight meeting (and may even have witnessed it from the bushes!) though that seems pretty far fetched,even if she despised Rohan! However just how well did she know the Comtesse? There is some talk of papers having been found written by the Queen at the Comtesse's home in the country. This lady, a master swindler, obviously looked down on the blue blooded cardinal from one of France's noblest families as being in fact below her socially, her daughter of the Valois!! :wink:

i belive it possible that MA could have been watching from the bushes. As far as her writing letters, from her home, I would have to have some pretty hard evidence.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

MA aware of it? How could she be? I dont think she kenw Jeanne.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Aware of the meeting I mean.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

And somehow allowed it to happen? Where is the supporting evidence for this? As the Baron has mentioned, this is "gossip". I do not think someone like our Antoinette would've hid in the bushes, witnessed the deception and then allowed it to go any further. :angry7:

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No, I am saying, that she couldve heard about a meeting taking place in the gardens, and may have witnessed it, MAY have.
Quite honestly, if you saw someone in a gualle, in the jardins de Versailles, you wouldn't say "omg! It's la Reine!" Because, they were in style by that time, and handing a man a rose, wasn't something uncommon either.
No words were spoken to reveal that she was MA anyway.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Just to clarify, there is some rumour (no hard evidence) about the Queen hiding in the bushes to witness Nicole Leguay playing at being her, in order to play a farce on Rohan. The fact that Lamotte subsequently embezzled Rohan was certainly nothing to do with the Queen. However she did vaguely know Lamotte (in fact the Queen never received letters from Lamotte, but the latter seemingly possessed an ornamental box with the Queen's portrait on it, which the commissioners were asked to swifly remove when they they arrested the Countess!). Whether the Queen may have been drawn into watching this scene from the bushes seems at least somewhat possible; we know that she was playful by nature, especially when it came to acting and anything theatrical, and she held Rohan in contempt. Maybe she fell into a trap there.... The scene after all brings to mind a very similar one in the "Marriage of Figaro", that the Queen enacted a few months earlier in her theatre, playing the rôle of Rosine! Lamotte says this was indeed the case in her mémoires (of course that is no guarrantee from an accomplished liar as she was! :) ). However a letter written to her brother on the 19 May 1786 seems to leave some small element of doubt in the air:" I won't mention the "great" affair here; the Baron (de Bretueil) will speak to you of my ideas, so to be sure not to speak of rendez-vous and of terraces; he'll explain my ideas to you." Mme de la Motte maintains that after the midnight meeting she was driven home in a court carriage....but then she would! It seems unlikely that the Queen got mixed up in this first swindle, but it also seems likely that Lamotte had found some way to have some access to her at court.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
Just to clarify, there is some rumour (no hard evidence) about the Queen hiding in the bushes to witness Nicole Leguay playing at being her, in order to play a farce on Rohan. The fact that Lamotte subsequently embezzled Rohan was certainly nothing to do with the Queen. However she did vaguely know Lamotte (in fact the Queen never received letters from Lamotte, but the latter seemingly possessed an ornamental box with the Queen's portrait on it, which the commissioners were asked to swifly remove when they they arrested the Countess!). Whether the Queen may have been drawn into watching this scene from the bushes seems at least somewhat possible; we know that she was playful by nature, especially when it came to acting and anything theatrical, and she held Rohan in contempt. Maybe she fell into a trap there.... The scene after all brings to mind a very similar one in the "Marriage of Figaro", that the Queen enacted a few months earlier in her theatre, playing the rôle of Rosine! Lamotte says this was indeed the case in her mémoires (of course that is no guarrantee from an accomplished liar as she was! :) ). However a letter written to her brother on the 19 May 1786 seems to leave some small element of doubt in the air:" I won't mention the "great" affair here; the Baron (de Bretueil) will speak to you of my ideas, so to be sure not to speak of rendez-vous and of terraces; he'll explain my ideas to you." Mme de la Motte maintains that after the midnight meeting she was driven home in a court carriage....but then she would! It seems unlikely that the Queen got mixed up in this first swindle, but it also seems likely that Lamotte had found some way to have some access to her at court.

Thank you for explaining.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think it's possible that the Queen vaguely knew Lamotte, but I think it impossible that she could know of the fake encounter, also because the idea that Rohan could think to meet her alone at night was something contrary to her dignity, and this was one of the aspects which made her most upset about the whole affair.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rosalie wrote:
I think it's possible that the Queen vaguely knew Lamotte, but I think it impossible that she could know of the fake encounter, also because the idea that Rohan could think to meet her alone at night was something contrary to her dignity, and this was one of the aspects which made her most upset about the whole affair.

Indeed, it was as if someone spit on her character.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next